Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ever got emotional about an NFL game?

Sherlock Holmes

I get emotional every time we lose to Dallas. I have to leave the house afterwards or I'll take it out on the wife and kids.

As for Art Monk's Super Bowl TD, I remember reading that the ref who called the TD insists it was a TD and was taken away because of a technicality. He thought Monk was in and had he known his foot was on the line, he would have called him knocked out by contact. Once his call was made, however, you can't go back and change the call AFTER the replay which is a shame because either way, it should have been ruled a TD.

Me too - almost offset the horrible day that Gibbs announced his retirement.

Gibbs in general. i'm not old enough to clearly remember all of the good days in Gibbs I.

Infact winning the SB against the Bills is one of my earliest Skins memories (the earliest is I remember as a toddler my mom crying when we lost to the Raiders in the SB). Then I actually became a Diehard during the rough yrs. When I watch a Gibbs PC after a game or hear him talking about the team, I get all emotional. He just brings so much intergrity and I am so proud to watch him steer this team into the great future!!!

This will probably a popular reply, but the first Dallas game this past season on Monday Night Football. I was watching it in my dorm while talking to my brother and some friends on IM about it, saying stuff like "oh great, another great season with Brunell....in Madden there should be a button you hit where Brunell fumbles instantly instead of passes or something." Then jokingly I said "here we go, big comeback led by Brunell, you watch :laugh: " and all of a sudden a lightning strike to Moss and I couldn't believe it. After the second TD though I just about died- started yelling and clapping, woke up my roommate who was sleeping and he was like "what the hell" and I just told him "We're gonna beat Dallas!! Oh my God!" and he just gave me this look like "I-don't-care-shut-the-hell-up" (he's a Bucs/Colts fan). And after that huge Sean Taylor hit on Crayton, I just lost it.

I was on the phone with my brother during the second Moss TD, but he has HDTV which is about a 5 second delay compared to my regular digital cable (same cable system). When Moss caught the TD I started screaming into the phone. My brother thought something had happened in my apartment and started asking what was wrong and then he started screaming as well. :laugh:

At every home game i tear up , not because of football, well not entirely.

During the national anthem is whats gets me. .. makes me realize each time

how much i love this country, and how lucky i am to be able to goto the games.

Played semi pro ball till i was 27, i do MISS playing, maybe that has a little to do with it too :)

Emotional? Hmmm.... In all honesty, I still have not emotionally recovered from the 1974 Thanksgiving Day game when that frikin' Clint Longley torched us to win the game and the 1975 game against the Air Coryell Cardinals when Mel Gray was credited with a last second game tying TD catch when he CLEARLY did not catch the ball! The Cardiac Cards won in OT and went on to the playoffs while we stayed home. (Damn, I'm getting p'sed right now thinking about it!).

When we came back like we did against the Cowboys in the first game this year, my first thought was "maybe that'll take the sting out of the Clint Longley game for a while."

I think Tarhog had a clip of that non Mel Gray catch somewhere on this site. If you haven't seen it, take a look at it and tell me what you think (If I can dig it up, I'll edit a link here).

[Edit] This takes you to the post from Tarhog. Scroll down until you see "The Phantom Catch:"

Mel Gray Non Catch post

Hail,

H

I am with you on the Mel Grey Game... Ooooh I remember being mad and I was only 6! I do remember it though. I also felt like someone tore my heart out in that 35-34 Dallas game in 1979... I remember sitting in my grandparents TV room watching both games.

And who cant get teary-eyed and chills when you hear Frank, Sonny and Sams call of Riggins in SuperBowl XVII...

"HE'S GONE!!! HE'S GONE!!! TOUCHDOWN WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!"

Outstanding. :cheers:

Man, I have to admit, every Redskins game takes me on a roller coaster ride (except the blowout of Dallas this year, it was like a constant high all game long). I can only narrow it down to two games and Gibbs' return.

Although it was not a game, when I got online to see if my friend was messing with me about Joe Gibbs coming back, I welled up like a girl watching the Olympic figure skating event when I read that he was indeed returning to bring us back to Glory..

On the day the Cardinals beat the Skins in OT back in the 70s, my neighbor asked me to root for the Colts who were in the playoff hunt as well in the AFC. He told me he would root for the Skins later in the day if I did. I didn't dislike the Colts and rooted them on to victory that day. The back stabbing SOB went and rooted for the Cardinals; I cried like a baby and he teased me making it worse. I was about 7 he was in his teens. Revenge is sweet though, the following year he and I were sitting in Memorial Stadium as the Colts lost to the Raiders in 2OT in the divisional playoff game. I was sitting in the middle of the Colts Corral rooting on the Raiders the whole game! I have hated the Colts almost as much as the Cowpukes ever since.

But the game I got most emotional over was Super Bowl XVIII. When Marcus Allen broke that TD run, I began to pound my mother's hardwood floors with a hammer, then threw the hammer across the room hitting her antique hutch. My friends were horrified, my mother was pissed and I realized I just might have an anger problem.

I know we really didn't have anything to play for, but I remember getting EXTREMELY pissed after our Dallas loss in '03. I always get pissed after a Dallas loss, but that one....I don't know....I do know Hasselback had better be glad our paths never crossed following that game. I would have found a very unique way to beat the **** out of him :laugh:

Like with a shoestring or something.

Following that first Dallas game last season....my throat still hasn't recovered from yelling so much :laugh:

the playoffs game at tampa got me pretty emotional. When i saw hundreds maybe thousands of skins fans outside the players bus singing HTTR it reminded me of how great our team, and fans really are. Of course the Dallass game too. After the game i was running around my apartment complex in joy and saw my neighbor (dallass fan) was on the phone talkin to his dad about how they beat the Skins again and how he its not even a challenge anymore. I got to break the news to him! seeing him wimper in disbelief made me feel even more on top of the world!!

I can think of several...

27-17. I cried when the Skins fell behind. I cried when the Skins took the lead. I cried when my parents wouldn't give me that stick of bubble gum they promised me if the Skins hadn't won. I was little. :silly:

42-10. Ricky Sanders' second TD.

Gibbs' retirement.

Gibbs' return.

Week 2, 14-13.

Week 17, 31-20. Watched the game in Vegas with my best buds from high school. Awesome.

I'm sure there are more, those just stick out right now...

Denver Broncos game this season, the referees gave them that game and it was so obvious. By the end of that game i had chewed up pretzles spit all over my TV thats how pissed off i was.

Oh and the Alstott Call, that was straight BULL****

Yet, every Bucs fan says "shut up he got in" and makes you wanna punch them in their face.

Butz65, that game you're referring to is the 35-34 loss to the Cowboys in the season finale that cost us the division title and the playoffs (we actually finished with a 10-6 record, which was better than the NFC team which actually made the SB that year, the Rams at 9-7). The Skins were up by 13 in the 4th quarter after a 75-yard Riggo run and had the ball at the Dallas 40 with about 4 mins left when we fumbled. Roger Staubach led the Cowboys to two straight TDs and the lead. Theismann led us down to like the Cowboy 40 but couldn't get the timeout. It would've been a hell of a long FG for Moseley but he still should've got the chance. Still the most painful Skin loss I've endured.

I cried when the Skins were destroyed by Raiders in the Super Bowl- I was 8 years old.

I balled when the Giants beat us 17-0 in the NfC Championship game in 1986. I was there and the Giants fans poured beer on my head- I was 11 years old.

I wanted to cry during almost EVERY game in 2004- the most frustrating season I can EVER remember. The Gibbs-bashing made me very, very angry. I was 30 years old.

I screamed at my poor mother when the Skins lost to San Diego this year- I was visiting her and every time she walked into the room something bad happened. I was 31.

When the Skins lost to Seattle in the playoffs- I wanted to smash my TV into smithereens- unfortunately, I was getting rained on surrounded by Seahawks fans in that miserable city where the sun does not shine..... I was still 31.

I have a good feeling about next year and for the first time in years I have real optimism about the upcoming season. When the Skins win the Super Bowl in Miami next year, I will be there and I will probably shed tears of joy! I will be 32 and I will have no problem crying like Dick Vermeil! (Even though I despise when he does that)

Butz65, that game you're referring to is the 35-34 loss to the Cowboys in the season finale that cost us the division title and the playoffs (we actually finished with a 10-6 record, which was better than the NFC team which actually made the SB that year, the Rams at 9-7). The Skins were up by 13 in the 4th quarter after a 75-yard Riggo run and had the ball at the Dallas 40 with about 4 mins left when we fumbled. Roger Staubach led the Cowboys to two straight TDs and the lead. Theismann led us down to like the Cowboy 40 but couldn't get the timeout. It would've been a hell of a long FG for Moseley but he still should've got the chance. Still the most painful Skin loss I've endured.

Damn you! Now I've got to wipe the tears away again....

I must say that the highest of all highs for me came in the last 2 games of 1982-1983. Watching RFK rock up and down with "we want Dallas" chants to be followed up two weeks later with Riggins running us to glory left me in a state of euphoria. Nothing will ever come close. It's the answer to my wife's question of why when I won't get up from my chair during a Redskins game. Can't wait to get that feeling back.

I really got emotional when we stabbed Dallas in the heart back on week 2. I was also emotional when the Boys' knew their dominance over us was over when we crushed them 35-7. But when I saw ST scoop up the ball and run it in for a TD against Philly and not only put us in the playoffs, but knock Dallas out of them. YYEEAAHH!!! I was at a bar with my dad and some cowboy fans were sitting next to me and were giving me s*** the whole time. It felt good at the end of the game to see us rip the hearts out of so many Cowboy fans.

Mine would have to be the first Dallas game. I was watching it in bed (with my wife asleep) and was about to turn the TV off but decided to watch (in my opinion) the last play of the game, the first TD pass to Santana Moss. When he caught the pass in the endozone, I was just happy we did'nt get shutout. Then they scored again (wife not asleep anymore, oops:flowers:, it might have been because I was jumping up and down saying "WERE GONA WIN YEEEEAHHHH!!!" :paranoid:, but Im not sure). Then I was sure Dallas was gonna score again (like they have done in the past), then came ST hit (Wife pretty mad at me at that point, I think she had fallen back asleep by that time). I was so happy I don't think I was able to sleep that night (or maybe it was my wife kicking me).

:dallasuck

HTTR!!

1991. Dallas was beating the Skins in week 2, 17-3 on Monday night football! Rypien throws a TD and then Monk makes a merciless stop n go on the CB for a 50 something yard TD, I can't remember the Dallas CB's name for the life of me. All I remember hearing was Dan Dierdorf, "WHAT A MOVE MONK JUST PULLED ON THE CB! DID YOU SEE THAT AL?" Then they showed the replay and I literally screamed my ***** off like a little girl!!! Unbelievable move he pulled!!! Hope you guys are die hard enough to remember this one!

Skins won 33-31

Archived