Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

idea for rule change

YellowGixxer

i know theres a thread about the dumbest nfl rules, but i have a question about how someone like myself could possibly submit an idea for correcting a rule that needs to be addressed by the league. during one of the regular season games, i believe it was the tampa bay game, the skins were affected by the infamous "tuck" rule when the opposing teams qb was in the endzone. anyway that one call could have changed the out come of the game, so i started thinking about just how stupid the way this rule is written. my proposal is this, if a qb tries to pull the ball back and loses control there should be one of three results. first lets say that the ball lands on the ground in front of the qb, this should be considered an incomplete pass. second scenario, the ball lands on the ground behind the qb, it should be considered a lateral, and therefore a fumble (at which point all rules for fumbles would apply). the third possibilty is unlikely, but possible so i included it. it would be if another player happened to catch the ball before it hit the ground, and therefore would be either a completed pass to a teammate (foreward or lateral) or an interception. like i said this seems unlikely, but you never know when a lineman might be standing in the right place at the right time. so there you have my oponion. i would like to know first what you all think about it, and second if it seems like a good idea how would i go about submitting it? btw for those who dont remember the game i discussed towards the beginning, the qb dropped the ball behind him, it would have been a fumble leading to either a touchdown or a safety.

i know theres a thread about the dumbest nfl rules, but i have a question about how someone like myself could possibly submit an idea for correcting a rule that needs to be addressed by the league. during one of the regular season games, i believe it was the tampa bay game, the skins were affected by the infamous "tuck" rule when the opposing teams qb was in the endzone. anyway that one call could have changed the out come of the game, so i started thinking about just how stupid the way this rule is written. my proposal is this, if a qb tries to pull the ball back and loses control there should be one of three results. first lets say that the ball lands on the ground in front of the qb, this should be considered an incomplete pass. second scenario, the ball lands on the ground behind the qb, it should be considered a lateral, and therefore a fumble (at which point all rules for fumbles would apply). the third possibilty is unlikely, but possible so i included it. it would be if another player happened to catch the ball before it hit the ground, and therefore would be either a completed pass to a teammate (foreward or lateral) or an interception. like i said this seems unlikely, but you never know when a lineman might be standing in the right place at the right time. so there you have my oponion. i would like to know first what you all think about it, and second if it seems like a good idea how would i go about submitting it? btw for those who dont remember the game i discussed towards the beginning, the qb dropped the ball behind him, it would have been a fumble leading to either a touchdown or a safety.[/

good idea but i doubt the nfl will change anythingQUOTE]

What happens if the qb brings his arm back to throw, his arm starts going forward, and it slips out of his hand and lands behind him? Does that count as a fumble? Or an incomplete pass?

this would be a lateral and therefore a fumble. thats my whole point. the rule is dumb, who cares what throwing motion is used? ive seen laterals intentionally thrown overhand and their still laterals, so why is it when the qb cant control the ball and it slips from his hands it doesnt follow the same rules?

why is it if you intentionally throw the ball backwards it is a lateral/fumble, but if you screw up and do it by accident then they call it simply incomplete (even though the accidental throw went BACKWARD)
I believe that is a fumble. Unless the arm is moving forward.

Archived