Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

fox.com Redskins

Macd36

Washington Redskins

What happened last year? For the full story

Washington made an improbable run into the divisional round of the playoffs after starting the season 5-6. The run was improbable to most but not to loyal readers of the FOXSports.com power rankings, which had them ranked 10th in the NFL before they began their run to the playoffs.

On offense, Washington was No. 12 in DVOA (up from No. 28 in 2004), No. 10 in passing offense and No. 9 in the league when running the ball. The Redskins' defense was stellar once again, ranking only behind Chicago in our overall defensive rankings, finishing seventh in the league against the pass and fourth against the run. Washington's special teams were 14th in the league, despite an exceptional year from punter Derrick Frost and his coverage team — the second best unit in the NFL according to our rankings.

Im not just saying this becuase the Article wasnt Anti-Redskin. But FoxSports always seems to know what their talking about and as soon as that clock hits 12:00 on sunday i turn it straight to the FoxSports Pre-Game show so i can stop watching How Peyton Manning is a game manager with great accuracy on ESPN, or how Tom Brady will rally the New England Patriots to another super bowl...

Not trying to be a media hater here. But I do remember being ranked that high. And the experts that put it together described it as some sort of anomaly in the ranking system(all done with computers) and them saying that it was thrown out of whack because the 49er game was still being factored heavily into the formula. They did make sure to say that once that game was far enough in the past we would fall quite a bit. They didn't anticipate the 5 game win streak.

Not trying to be a media hater here. But I do remember being ranked that high. And the experts that put it together described it as some sort of anomaly in the ranking system(all done with computers) and them saying that it was thrown out of whack because the 49er game was still being factored heavily into the formula. They did make sure to say that once that game was far enough in the past we would fall quite a bit. They didn't anticipate the 5 game win streak.

Hehehe, quite right. I remember that and I also remember them telling us which week the 49ers game would no longer be a factor in our high ranking. The second game vs. Dallas this year! :laugh: I guess they didn't think the score could ever be what it was. When we beat Dallas that badly it actually increased our spot in their rankings at the same time the 49ers game meant nothing anymore! :applause: :dallasuck

Good article, by the way. I was able to read some of their FA "landing spots" and it made me shutter to think of Edge playing in New England next year. Wouldn't that be like dropping Portis and seeing him land with the Cowboys!? :doh: :puke:

Hail!! :point2sky

so FOX is jacking articles from Football Outsiders now?

FOX has had an agreement with FootballOutsiders to run content since Week 3.

Their formula did have the Redskins ranked high, and I think when the 49ers game dropped off, the Redskins kept up the pace by spanking the Giants and Cowboys...

How classy is Gibbs to not even pay any attention to Parcells even after he had just won.

Are you serious? Its Parcells who avoided Gibbs. And what does that have to do with this thread anyway?

EDIT: Nvm saw the pic. And I dont think thats from this year.

Archived