Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

olamalu is leader of the new school

TheDiplomat

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2326920

HONOLULU -- The man who perhaps first represented the "New Age Safety" in the NFL glanced around at the assemblage of talent here following a Thursday practice, nodded and smiled, then agreed that, yeah, the ongoing evolution at the position continues to go pretty nicely, indeed.

Philadelphia Eagles star Brian Dawkins, with creative defensive coordinator Jim Johnson using him as a versatile wind-up toy, was a catalyst for the makeover of the safety position. For years, he was the face of change, the man who most represented the redefinition of a position that had waned in significance around the NFL. Now there are a lot of fresh and compelling faces in the roll call of outstanding safeties in the NFL.

And most of them will be on display in the Pro Bowl on Sunday evening.

Actually i really liked polomalu ...... until the media got all over his balls. If the steelers didnt get to the superbowl people wouldnt be talking about him like he is a phenom at the position. They'd be talking about how tatupa is. Its all about the media. Im just tired of the media and the way they OVERHYPE.

OK, pardon me for my lack of outrage, but there is a pretty good reason Taylor isn't mentioned. He isn't in the Pro Bowl. The article only mentions safetys that made the Pro Bowl.
u think they would write about Sean in a good way even if he was in the pro bowl?

u think they would write about Sean in a good way even if he was in the pro bowl?

Yeah, probably not as much as Troy, but he'd get praise. He's not perfect, but it's not like there's a HUGE list of stuff to bad mouth him about as far as his playing goes.

Yeah, probably not as much as Troy, but he'd get praise. He's not perfect, but it's not like there's a HUGE list of stuff to bad mouth him about as far as his playing goes.
they'd never give sean the proper respect he deserves and that's just the way i see it

they'd never give sean the proper respect he deserves and that's just the way i see it

They aren't going to set up a shrine to him or anything. He's not that good yet. Currently he's well above average, but he's not overwhelmingly great, although he easily has the potential to be. Whether or not you choose to agree is your prerogative, but with his spitting and off the field issues, he's not going to be universally exhaulted like Polamalu is, regardless of how you feel about him.

They aren't going to set up a shrine to him or anything. He's not that good yet. Currently he's well above average, but he's not overwhelmingly great, although he easily has the potential to be. Whether or not you choose to agree is your prerogative, but with his spitting and off the field issues, he's not going to be universally exhaulted like Polamalu is, regardless of how you feel about him.
uh...never said anything about them setting up a shrine or anything...simply saying he'll never be payed the respect he deserves

Polumahu was been my man since USC the way he used to hit I used to stay up until 2:00 am sunday morning waiting to see USC hilights of Poloumahu. With that being said he is kinda the face of the safties now. And we know how good Sean Taylor in my eyes I will take Taylor over any Saftey in the leauge, but Troy is #2. The way he flies over the field reminds me of Taylor. So he is getting his credit. And people do not worry Sean will get his next year when we win superbowl XLI.

Haill!! :point2sky :point2sky

That's ridiculous that they mention all those safeties and not once mention Taylor. That article was written by--- oh big surprise...

Really :doh:

I wonder how many pigs he has devoured at all the luaus he has been to so far?

In Pasquarelli's case, that might even qualify as cannibalism

If I have to pick a safety to build a defense around, Polamalu is the only safety that I would consider other than Taylor. Both of these players are studs.

Right now, I would say that Taylor is better than Polamalu vs. the pass, but I think the edge vs. the run and as a blitzer goes to Polamalu (slightly).

IMO, you can't go wrong with either one.

Polamalu named Sean as one of the 5 or so safeties he studied last offseason. Like you all probably know, Sean is very respected among his peers. He and Polamalu will be perennial all-stars for years to come and I feel will be competing for defensive player of the year in the upcoming seasons.

I wouldn't get too worked up over that article. It's strictly about the Pro Bowl, and as I remember I read an article by Peter King of SI that started with something like this: "Sean Taylor is not a good player, he is a great player -- " .

Archived