Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Ahman Green be our Gerald Riggs?

Dirk Diggler

Discuss :)

http://nfl.com/news/story/9222468

RUNNING BACKS IN "NO MAN'S LAND"

Ahman Green's value is on the decline because of his age and injuries.

Need a running back? Willing to pay? This might be a very good year to get one. Or maybe, just maybe, with upwards of four draft picks getting first-round grades, the potential free-agent backs are going to have trouble getting the big bucks. We are entering an era in NFL personnel matters where securing a running back close to his 30th birthday is not fashionable. The teams in need of a 'bell cow back' can look at Edgerrin James, Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis, Ahman Green and even consider a call to the Dolphins about Ricky Williams, before they evaluate Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Laurence Maroney or DeAngelo Williams, which means the veteran running backs free this year are in "no man's land" as it relates to their value.

The 'trend' in the NFL is not to get deeply involved financially with a veteran running back for what he has done in the past by paying him for the future. Until a running back like James goes elsewhere and has a 1,500-yard season while his former team struggles, it's not going to change for the ball carriers. Right now, the clubs are in the driver's seat with the guys who carry the ball. When Alexander says he wants a fair deal to stay in Seattle, that sounds great, but who knows what a fair deal is anymore for a running back of Alexander's stature. I asked three personnel men who acquire talent for a living and they struggled with his value in this market.

Here's his stats:

http://nfl.com/players/playerpage/12404

He's an excellent back but he is also a known fumbler Gibbs will not tolerate that..

If you pay attention you might notice that the fumble issues seemed to go away after he stopped wearing the forearm pads a season and a half ago.

I thought two years ago this guy was the best back in the league and I think that if he would work cheap and play special teams he would be significantly better than Betts is. Ladell did not really impress as much this year as I had hoped he would. The injury thing came back (again) and he never really seemed to get going in any of the games he was in. Maybe he is one of those backs who needs 10+ carries to get going and pop a couple off but whatever the reason, he did not do it this year.

Of course, Green might be one of those guys who needs 10+ to get going too so who knows...

If you pay attention you might notice that the fumble issues seemed to go away after he stopped wearing the forearm pads a season and a half ago.

I thought two years ago this guy was the best back in the league and I think that if he would work cheap and play special teams he would be significantly better than Betts is. Ladell did not really impress as much this year as I had hoped he would. The injury thing came back (again) and he never really seemed to get going in any of the games he was in. Maybe he is one of those backs who needs 10+ carries to get going and pop a couple off but whatever the reason, he did not do it this year.

Of course, Green might be one of those guys who needs 10+ to get going too so who knows...

I have paid a little attention to him and he has gotten better but I still do not think Gibbs will go after him because he is getting up there in age and like you stated injuries has plagued him recently..

Yeah, Green has been on a decline for the past couple of yrs. I'll take Betts any day over Green right now. Thank goodness were not in that situation. LETS GET US A WR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why not take green?put him in only on 3rd downs,give CP a rest................he'll stay healthy.

I think the reason Gibbs tolerates Brunell's fumbles is because he throws so few INTs. And, in Brunell's defense, he seemed to have remedied that problem later in the season.
You are correct about the fumbles but the reason he throws so few int's is because he takes no chances. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Archived