Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

O-Line depth in 2006?

DE SKINS FAN

I really think our Oline is ready to be one of the top 3 units in the league, BUT what if one goes down? It seems we don't have any veteran depth at the line. Ray Brown is gone, I guess we still have raymer, and I'm not sure if we still have those 2 tackles we drafted 2 years ago. (molinaro and wilson?)

I guess my question is who do we have? What are our options? (draft, FA...) What should we do?

With our first pick in the 2nd round I wouldn't mind adding depth to o-line or at corner.

We do have Molinaro still. Hopefully none of our line goes down, but it can happen. Raymer should probably be gone too, and Brown already is. However, quality depth can be found for relatively cheap, and I bet we are gonna draft another lineman, prolly 3rd round.

Well now. A quick check of the easily found depth chart for the Redskins reveals that the 2 tackles are already there as well as others.

http://www.redskins.com/team/depthchart.jsp

Right guard looks to be a bit shallow behind Thomas but it's early yet. I'm betting that this is addressed before season's beginning. :)

Maybe even already.

http://www.redskins.com/team/default.jsp

78 Alston, Jon OL 6-5 306 1 South Carolina 09-04-1982

74 Jones, Jim OL 6-3 315 2 Notre Dame 01-27-1978

68 Ndukwe, Ikechuku OL 6-4 320 1 Northwestern 07-17-1982

63 Woodard, Jonta OL 6-4 317 1 Louisville 07-12-1978

69 Molinaro, Jim OT 6-6 309 2 Notre Dame 04-27-1981

52 Raymer, Cory C 6-3 300 11 Wisconsin 03-03-1973

That's our depth? Have any of them, other than Raymer, played a whole game? (The number before their college represents the number of years in the league) Basically our only veteran backup lineman is Raymer.

I like Molinaro. It would be cool if he becomes a really good lineman. Are they planning on making him the eventual replacement? Is he that good? On our depth chart he's the only one listed for both tackles position.

I'm sure it will be addressed but I was wondering if you guys could speculate how it we might go about it, or what options we have. Isn't that what this board is for?

The depth (or more precisely, lack of it) on the O Line is why I believe that Bugel has done a very poor job over the past 2 years. When Ray Brown is your best backup, you have to ask the question 'what in the hell has Bugel been doing the past 2 years'? Bugel should have been able to develop a low round draft choice or undrafted free agent into a serviceable backup over the past 2 years. I assume that Bugel helped make the call to draft Wilson and Molinaro. Wilson ends up being cut, and Molinaro barely plays. Our OL was NOT outstanding this year. Too often Brunell was swamped. Neither Samuels nor Jansen looked very good against Tampa Bay or the Giants, and let's not talk about Seattle.

Quit the talk about signing Hutchinson. No way can we afford him. And Seattle should franchise him.

In this era of free agency, successful teams are those that can find decent starters, or at least competent reserves, in the 6th and 7th rounds of the draft, or undrafted free agents. We have failed to do that. Until we improve that, we will be one injury away from failure.

:(

Dockery opted to exercise his option and void the final year so he's a free agent. Brown retired. Raymer looked like he's not ready to fill in anymore. Molinaro is an unknown (to us anyway). Yes, I would say the Skins are in dire need of bolstering the OL. The other OL players on the roster may only be camp fodder. The Skins OL isn't close to being in the top 3 IMO. Perhaps top 12. I don't think Bugel has worked much magic on the OL (of course it's better than under Spurrier but that's not saying much).

Does anyone remember Jim Molinaro playing tackle during the preseason? He really struggled with pass protection while playing tackle. I don't know if it was an experiment, however I thought his first year he was used primarily at guard.

The guy I want is Max Jean-Gilles out of Georgia. This guy dominated at senior Bowl week. 6'4 358lbs.

Raymer is gone after that sorry performance in the Seattle game. Plus I believe that frees up about 1m. Dockery is a RFA not a FA. If he gets an offer we can either match or receive a 3rd rd pick. I say if we really want to bolster our line, we sign C Lecharles Bentley from the Saints who is a stud. Then we move Rabach to LG where he played before in Balt. Dockery would then become our primary backup at G. Molinaro is the backup at T.

The depth (or more precisely, lack of it) on the O Line is why I believe that Bugel has done a very poor job over the past 2 years. When Ray Brown is your best backup, you have to ask the question 'what in the hell has Bugel been doing the past 2 years?
What great free agent or rookie would you have acquired in the last 2 years? Who would you sacrifice that we have acquired in that time in exchange for him? It is not as simple as you make it sound.

In two years Buges has developed a unit that nearly led the league in sacks and penalties into a respectable unit that blocked for a 1500 yard back and a QB with an 85 rating. That is pretty good work if you ask me.

The depth (or more precisely, lack of it) on the O Line is why I believe that Bugel has done a very poor job over the past 2 years. When Ray Brown is your best backup, you have to ask the question 'what in the hell has Bugel been doing the past 2 years'? Bugel should have been able to develop a low round draft choice or undrafted free agent into a serviceable backup over the past 2 years. I assume that Bugel helped make the call to draft Wilson and Molinaro. Wilson ends up being cut, and Molinaro barely plays. Our OL was NOT outstanding this year. Too often Brunell was swamped. Neither Samuels nor Jansen looked very good against Tampa Bay or the Giants, and let's not talk about Seattle.

Quit the talk about signing Hutchinson. No way can we afford him. And Seattle should franchise him.

In this era of free agency, successful teams are those that can find decent starters, or at least competent reserves, in the 6th and 7th rounds of the draft, or undrafted free agents. We have failed to do that. Until we improve that, we will be one injury away from failure.

:(

I'm not sure how you have decided that Buges has done such a bad job developing depth considering that we've barely seen the backups play. Ray Brown may have been old, but he would have been one of the better backups for most teams last year, and he played well when we needed him.

Wilson was a late rounder, Raymer is old, and was probably kept around too long, and we haven't really seen much of the rest of the guys.

The starting oline played quite well, and was really rolling before Thomas went out. It's not really fair, IMO, to judge them poorly for their performance in the playoffs when you consider that the Hawks and Bucs obviously knew that Brunell was gimpy.

I think we'll see the Skins use more than 1 draft pick on olinemen this year, not only for depth, but for players to develop to eventually start. I also think the team will go after 1 FA veteran, lunch pale type guy who can serve as a back up at multiple positions.

With Brown gone, and Raymer probably done as well, it's true that the team needs to add some players on the line, but I don't see how that means that Buges hasn't done a good job.

I wonder how well these guys have been progressing. Sure these guys, Molinaro and the rest have been sitting on the bench, but the wildcard in all of this is Bugel. He has been known to do a lot with a little. I think a few of these guys might surprise us when they hit the field. Not to mention, they have been learning form Brown, Jansen, Samuels ....

I can't wait to see how Molinaro pans out ...

I wonder how well these guys have been progressing. Sure these guys, Molinaro and the rest have been sitting on the bench, but the wildcard in all of this is Bugel. He has been known to do a lot with a little. I think a few of these guys might surprise us when they hit the field. Not to mention, they have been learning form Brown, Jansen, Samuels ....

I can't wait to see how Molinaro pans out ...

I hope he pans out better than Wilson! I don't know anything about the guy they picked up off of the practice squad as back-up Guard Ndukwe (from Northwestern). You have to expect that OL starters will get injured during the season - - sometimes they can continue playing although at a lower performance level (e.g., Samuels was dealing with a knee injury for many games). It would be nice to have a back-up that you have at least some confidence in so that you could allow the starter to heal up for a week if necessary.

Buges really hasn't done anything to develop any flexibiility in dealing with injuries. The quality of Raymer is suspect and Molinaro is completely untested. Everyone else currently signed are practice squad players. Contrast that with Blache - -he has guys that can play multiple positions and all have some experience playing. Granted the OL is different in that you don't routinely change players in and out.

Archived