Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you want to Turn U.S. into a Christian Theocracy?

Rdskns2000

Liberal papp? Since theocracies are in the news these days, I thought it would be interesting about people who actually want to turn the U.S. into a theocracy?

Would you be in favor of that?

no becuase that would go against the constitution and even though the founding fathers were christians they thought religious freedom is important, so do i. and i also happen to be christian as well

Of course not, way way to many interpertations of the bible

Plus

Whose denomination ? Lets not act that every denomination gets along 100 percent of the time.

My mother would never follow a catholic (shes alittle racist btw). There are people critical of Mormons and Jehovahs Witnesses as well

Most parents are more racists in some ways. Whether it's religious or something else.

My dad doesn't like anything jewish. I have no problems with Jews and actually don't really know much about that faith.

Personally- I have really grown to think religion is a source of many problems.

Fanaticial Muslims believe their religion is superior. That mankind can't make any laws. The only law is God's law and the world must convert or be killed.

Evangelical Christians believe they must spread their faith. Their religion is superior and the words of Jesus Christ must be spread. The unbelievers must convert to Christianity. While they believe the holy hands must be in the hands of Jews-once Jesus is here, the Jews also must convert.

Jewish people believe they are the chosen people. Don't think I've seen much about them trying to convert people.

Etc.. Etc...

I am coming more to the belief that you can believe in God but not necessarily have to follow one those faiths. You can be spiritual without being caught up in the confines of religion.

I am coming more to the belief that you can believe in God but not necessarily have to follow one those faiths. You can be spiritual without being caught up in the confines of religion.
thats exactly what i think to some degree. it is very easy to have a good faith and relationship with God through Jesus without the dogma of "religion" aka middle ages catholic tradition. my only source of spiritual insight is soley the bible, period becuase it is the word of God. but also i have to say that if you believe in God you have to at least loosely base what you believe on the bible; it is the word of God after all. the one thing about the whole thing is that Jesus said that he was the only way to heaven so without faith in Him, spirituality is useless, for it is faith, not deeds that saves us

My Senator. I'm so proud. I hope he does run and makes all kinds of noise. I'd love the Republican party to be seen as the "government-by-mythology" party. Since the religiously insane have been running the party stance on social issues for years I think it's time to put a face on them.

Cant vote for that: The pendulum would swing too far and would then swing too far the ohter way after...

I love this part though:

Back in 1994, when Brownback came to Congress as a freshman, he was so contemptuous of federal authority that he refused at first to sign the Contract With America, Newt Gingrich's right-wing manifesto -- not because it was too radical but because it was too tame. Republicans shouldn't just reform big government, Brownback insisted -- they should eliminate it. He immediately proposed abolishing the departments of education, energy and commerce.

No, I am a evangelical conservative that fears fundamentalism and those who use christianity for secular power.

1 cor.3

18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.

luke 18.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

matthew 28.

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

No, I am a evangelical conservative that fears fundamentalism and those who use christianity for secular power.

1 cor.3

18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.

luke 18.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

matthew 28.

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Dude, what's up with breaking out the King James on us? :laugh:

My Senator. I'm so proud. I hope he does run and makes all kinds of noise. I'd love the Republican party to be seen as the "government-by-mythology" party. Since the religiously insane have been running the party stance on social issues for years I think it's time to put a face on them.

Which of the "religiously insane" has been running the GOP exactly?

I love the way people can just make things up when it's convenient.

It's not "insane" to respect life by being against abortion and murder is it? It's simply a set of beliefs that differ from your own. You have taken your only option of classifying any with those beliefs as "insane" to make your own stance seem more acceptable to the majority.

Lastly, it's insulting to equate religion with mythology as you have done here. Even if you do not share a belief, don't mock others out of your petty misunderstanding.

BTW, I am not of the GOP at this point in my life, but I do shar e their opinions in many matters of faith as is my constitutional right.

Well. While I don't think it's insane to have a belief that abortion is wrong. I do think that people who try to ram that belief down the throats of others or who try to force others often by extreme measures to adhere to this belief have some serious mental issues. Trying to force others to believe as you do - failing to tolerate differences in peoples' beliefs or lack thereof or lifestyles - borders on a pathological disorder. Power tripping.

Most of religious belief does have its basis in mythology. Many of the symbols are the same and many of the bible stories are very similar to the ancient myths. Religion and the bible is the story of mankind written down in parables. Next time they show the series of Joseph Campbell on the history of the world's mythologies watch it. It's just fascinating. For me it reinforced my belief in a natural connection between all humans. It doesn't really rule out a god at all because I can easily see people ascribing the connection between people as being created by god. But it does give one a history of where some of the commonly held beliefs come from.

Archived