Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets Chargers to announce trade

schmitty199

got it off another board.....

JETS AND CHARGERS TO ANNOUNCE BLOCKBUSTER

DE-Abraham To San Diego - QB-Rivers To New York

The DinoCosta Show has learned through an exclusive source that the NY Jets & San Diego Chargers are set to make a Blockbuster trade.

The Chargers will send quarterback Philip Rivers, the 4th overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft, to the Jets, in return for pass rushing defensive end John Abraham. Rivers has been stuck behind Chargers quarterback Drew Brees the last two seasons, and will be re-uniting with former Chargers asst. Brian Schottenheimer who was recently named the Jets offensive coordinator. Schottenheimer is planning to install an offensive system that is similar in design to the Chargers current system - a system that Rivers is comfortable in and familiar with. Abraham has been miffed that the Jets haven't given him a new contract after proving that he could play an entire 16 game schedule as he did last year. The Chargers will slide Abraham nicely into their 3-4 defense that will also feature Shawne Merriman, providing San Diego with a terrific twosome that will give the rest of the AFC West fits. This trade makes sense for both teams and makes the Chargers "quiet" signing of quarterback A.J. Feeley last season something that was apparently done with the long term in mind. A big question for the Jets is what will they do with current quarterback Chad Pennington...should he be successful in returning from major shoulder surgery for a second time.

I'll give you one reason: Marty!
Naturally, leave it to Marty to screw up every quarterback decision he's ever made. It will be beyond a miracle if Brees has 1/2 the arm strength he had last year and if he doesn't dislocate his shoulder. That's a torn labrum, on his throwing shoulder.

Although that front 7 is gonna kill, their defense is gonna have to win a lot of games for them.

The Jets couldn't resign Abraham so excellent deal for them. Pennington, unfortunately, is done for. They got a QB who can step in right away. But that team is way too old.

Stupid trade by both teams.

The Chargers run a 3-4. They already have Steve Foley, who has 10+ sacks the past two years, and Shawne "Lights Out" Merriman at the 3-4 OLB.

Abraham is a 3-4 OLB also. He can't play DE in the 3-4. No way.

So whats going to happen there?

Not to mention Brees is just as much a question mark as Pennington is right now. Rivers has too much upside to trade.

And the Jets are idiots for trading a premier pass rusher for another very expensive QB when they already have one on the roster.

Yeah Pennington is a question mark, but he's also making something like $60 Million over the next few years, that coupled with Rivers's contract will cripple the Jets.

How do you upgrade the rest of your team when your TWO QBs are making $100 Million?

The Chargers run a 3-4. They already have Steve Foley, who has 10+ sacks the past two years, and Shawne "Lights Out" Merriman at the 3-4 OLB.

Not to mention Brees is just as much a question mark as Pennington is right now. Rivers has too much upside to trade.

And the Jets are idiots for trading a premier pass rusher for another very expensive QB when they already have one on the roster.

Yeah Pennington is a question mark, but he's also making something like $60 Million over the next few years, that coupled with Rivers's contract will cripple the Jets.

How do you upgrade the rest of your team when your TWO QBs are making $100 Million?

I think its awfully risky on the part of the Chargers. But for the Jets, who have seen Pennington go down over and over, and who probably view the guy as a question mark to ever return to full health, this is a smart move. It was likely Abraham was not going to be there much longer regardless. If Pennington isn't back to full strength, who do the Jets have minus this trade (assuming this is true).

BIG question mark for the chargers. It's a decent move for their defense but as already mentioned, I'm not sure how he'll fit in there. But those shoulder injuries for qb's are HUGE. I like the chargers and especially brees and i hope he's not the next chad pennington but if so that leaves them with....A.J. Feeley...:thud:

BUT WAIT, doesn't this mean INMATE RUNNING THE ASYLUM's prediction was wrong??? Does he get a special avatar now because of his "first prediction of 06" about us getting abraham? :laugh:

I think its awfully risky on the part of the Chargers. But for the Jets, who have seen Pennington go down over and over, and who probably view the guy as a question mark to ever return to full health, this is a smart move. It was likely Abraham was not going to be there much longer regardless. If Pennington isn't back to full strength, who do the Jets have minus this trade (assuming this is true).

I think it'd be smarter for the Jets to acquire a cheaper veteran QB and trade Abraham for a draft pick or picks and restock the rest of the team.

If Pennington does return to form, they'll have a solid backup. If he isn't by next year, then they know they need a QB and can address the need in 2007.

You can never have a enough play makers on defense and I assume that SD had a plan for why they traded for Abraham. Maybe they're gonna move Merriman to DE? I mean the guy is pushing the limits for weight as a linebacker already.

anyone ready to pick the chargers as SB champs? If there secondary gets a little better i dont see any reason why not.....

They're still coached by Marty S. so they continue to be handicapped.

Remember that he's the guy who was "teaching" Darrell Green "correct" cornerback technique in training camp the year he visited Redskins.

Archived