Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs Moment

cadets08

Good topic...funny how this has turned into one of those moments where you remember where you were and what you were doing. I was just pulling out of my driveway on my way to work. I think it was on the Jack Diamond morning show (I know he sucks) and can remember him saying it was a possibility and that "it could happen as soon as today!" I was stunned. It was 5am and way before my brother got up but I called him anyway.

we didnt get the news till much later down here in memphis but i was in the car with my wife and kids and my son who was 11 at the time and just started playing ball that year himself, was like...... whats the big deal? i told him ... you see those clouds over there parting? he says yeah, i said thats god shining his light on all us redskins fans!!!

he razzed me, as he is a 49ers fan and said he cant help yall, i told him year one would be the feel out year, year 2 is playoff year and year 3 is the superbowl baby!!

he said sure...... but now he is a believer!!! ha ha

I turned on the TV to turn it on ESPNEWS and catch up on the sports world ,and see if the Redskins had gotten their coach. My dad was in the shower and all of a sudden i see "Redskins name Joe Gibbs Head Coach".

It took a second to sink in, i read it three times to make sure. Then i started flippin out screamin, I yell to my dad oh my god u wont believe what happened , you wont believe who the skins head coach is. I told him Joe Gibbs. He probably got dressed in like 30 seconds, and ran out to the living room ,and I started flippin out again.

:helmet: CLASSiC REDSKINS MOMENT:helmet:

I remember talking to my dad one morning about random crap and I just blurted out some statement about how I hoped the Redskins got a good coach since Spurrier was gone(thank God). I said something about how I had heard that Dennis Green was in the running for the job. My dad then said he KNEW it wasnt gonna be Denny Green, and I said well anything can happen. Then he dropped the bomb of all bombs on me and then I had to change my underwear.

Good topic...funny how this has turned into one of those moments where you remember where you were and what you were doing. I was just pulling out of my driveway on my way to work. I think it was on the Jack Diamond morning show (I know he sucks) and can remember him saying it was a possibility and that "it could happen as soon as today!" I was stunned. It was 5am and way before my brother got up but I called him anyway.

Yea, agreed. I knew right then it was one of those moments. Wasnt there a thread on this about a month ago? Anyway, I was visiting my parents and right before we were to sit down for dinner they announced it on the local news. I felt like I was 13 again. Just the thought of seeing him on the sidelines made me giggle like a school girl. I told my dad that at the end of the previous season that I would no longer get my hopes up on the team because the previous 10+ years my hopes and dreams were continously smashed. I told him this was the only man that Dan Snyder could have hired for me to raise my expectations of this team. I knew right then, at that very moment, that this team would be a contender in no less than 2-3 years. Your damn skippy I remember where I was!

I had been up all night with my 4 month old son. I was asleep on the couch with my son on my chest. When my Mom woke me up and asked me... what is the best news you can imagine? And I said "if you havn't won the lottery Joe Gibbs Better be coaching the Redskins again!" She started jumping up and down yelling he came back... He came back! which is pretty impressive for a 70 year old. I handed my son to my wife who could hardly contain her glee, and I sprinted to the computer for confirmation. That day I made a Calendar that counted down the days to Joe's return to the sideline. Every day before breakfast we would take off another number to reveal one day less to wait.

I was at work.One of my players off my Flag football team called and said Gibbs was going to be named the Skins Head Coach again.I did not believe him.Turned on ESPN 2 to watch the crawl,There it was.News Conference for the Hiring of Joe Gibbs Later that day.I was so excited! I remember the day he announced his retirement,It ruined my whole summer,I was devestated! HTTR!

I was browsing the Washington Post online a bit after midnight, precisely when the story broke. There had been a story indicating that it could happen, and then finally they posted the confirmation. Talk about excitement... but I had nobody to share it with!

Almost called dear old Dad to wake him up and tell him, but I knew he wouldn't get any sleep if I told him in the middle of the night. So I let him find out the next morning on his way to work.

I was dead asleep and was awakened by my cell phone. I tried to get it, but missed it. Saw it was my dad, and he left a message. It was maybe 6am or something. I listened to the message and it said, "you may want to check the news. I don't know if it's true or not, but you may want to take a look."

My first impression is, "oh, great. What city just blew up?" Honest! So I get on the Internet and on msn I see something about Gibbs and I go...."no freakin' way....." It was a work day so I had to get moving to work...I spent the whole morning on the Internet and getting TV updates from my brother. I remember he told me George Michael was on live and they were talking about the staff Gibbs was putting together with Gregg Williams and everyone. Talking about how sick the staff was gonna be. I actually left work to go to a computer store to buy speakers for my computer so I could keep up. It was freezing cold that day, I remember. Everyone at work was freaking.

So I was on the phone and Internet all day. Didn't get a damn thing done work-wise. But no one else did either. It was a great day.

:cheers:

was dead asleep and was awakened by my cell phone.

Yep me too. My buddy left me a message. I thought, "Man, this BETTER be important for somebody to call me this early." Is it possible to nearly puke for joy? Because I thought I was going to yak everywhere I was so excited. I rushed to the computer for some verification.

Archived