Texans sign Carr to extension

Oldskool

Gee I wonder what number Bush is going to wear? :laugh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2325442

Updated: Feb. 10, 2006, 6:30 AM ET

Texans exercise 'buy back' to keep Carr through '08

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

HONOLULU -- In a move that could augur the selection of Southern California tailback Reggie Bush as the first overall pick in the 2006 draft, league sources here for the Pro Bowl confirmed late Thursday that the Houston Texans have exercised a "buy back" clause in quarterback David Carr's contract, paying him an $8 million bonus to secure his services for three more seasons.

Retaining the four-year veteran quarterback, who would have become eligible for unrestricted free agency had the Texans not exercised the option, makes it highly unlikely that Houston will choose Texas quarterback Vince Young with the top pick in the draft April 29.

Some fans have urged the Texans to choose Young, a Houston native. But Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported weeks ago that Houston officials are locked in on Bush, the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner.

There is still some chance that Houston could choose Young or perhaps Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart. But doing so would mean keeping a young quarterback on the bench for a few seasons, or trading Carr.

The Texans' confidence has wavered only slightly in Carr in four seasons. Every indication in recent weeks was that the Texans would pay the "buy back" bonus to keep Carr.

Former NFL head coach Dan Reeves, who served as a consultant to Texans owner Bob McNair, recommended keeping Carr, the top overall choice in the 2002 draft. First-year head coach Gary Kubiak, who has a strong reputation around the league for developing quarterbacks and whose presence could enhance Carr's performance, apparently gave him a strong endorsement, too.

Carr, 26, has appeared in 60 games, starting 59. He has completed 941 of 1,628 passes for 10,624 yards, with 48 touchdowns passes, 53 interceptions and a passer rating of 73.7. But the former Fresno State star has suffered from a lack of support, particularly on the offensive line.

He has been sacked an amazing 208 times in his career, including a league-record 76 times in 2002 and 68 times during the 2005 campaign. Carr has a 16-43 record as a starter.

Under the terms of the complicated seven-year, $46.75 million contract Carr signed as a rookie, the final three seasons of the deal were voidable. Early in his career, Carr reached sufficient performance levels to cancel those three years, and technically, his contract would have expired on March 3, the first day of free agency.

But the Texans had the right to "buy back" the voidable years and had two options for doing so. The first would have involved paying Carr a bonus of $5.5 million to buy back two seasons, at base salaries of $5 million for 2006 and $5.25 million for 2007. The second, the deal for which Houston opted, included the $8 million bonus, which bought back three seasons, at base salaries of $5.25 million each in 2006 and 2007 and of $6 million in 2008.

At one point during the season, Houston officials considered the possibility of exercising the two-year option. The Texans also reviewed which NFL franchises might need a quarterback of starting caliber in the next few years, in the event they decided to trade Carr.

They have never come close, however, to putting Carr on the market.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here Insider.

Gee I wonder what number Bush is going to wear? :laugh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2325442

Updated: Feb. 10, 2006, 6:30 AM ET

Texans exercise 'buy back' to keep Carr through '08

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

HONOLULU -- In a move that could augur the selection of Southern California tailback Reggie Bush as the first overall pick in the 2006 draft, league sources here for the Pro Bowl confirmed late Thursday that the Houston Texans have exercised a "buy back" clause in quarterback David Carr's contract, paying him an $8 million bonus to secure his services for three more seasons.

Retaining the four-year veteran quarterback, who would have become eligible for unrestricted free agency had the Texans not exercised the option, makes it highly unlikely that Houston will choose Texas quarterback Vince Young with the top pick in the draft April 29.

Some fans have urged the Texans to choose Young, a Houston native. But Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported weeks ago that Houston officials are locked in on Bush, the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner.

There is still some chance that Houston could choose Young or perhaps Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart. But doing so would mean keeping a young quarterback on the bench for a few seasons, or trading Carr.

The Texans' confidence has wavered only slightly in Carr in four seasons. Every indication in recent weeks was that the Texans would pay the "buy back" bonus to keep Carr.

Former NFL head coach Dan Reeves, who served as a consultant to Texans owner Bob McNair, recommended keeping Carr, the top overall choice in the 2002 draft. First-year head coach Gary Kubiak, who has a strong reputation around the league for developing quarterbacks and whose presence could enhance Carr's performance, apparently gave him a strong endorsement, too.

Carr, 26, has appeared in 60 games, starting 59. He has completed 941 of 1,628 passes for 10,624 yards, with 48 touchdowns passes, 53 interceptions and a passer rating of 73.7. But the former Fresno State star has suffered from a lack of support, particularly on the offensive line.

He has been sacked an amazing 208 times in his career, including a league-record 76 times in 2002 and 68 times during the 2005 campaign. Carr has a 16-43 record as a starter.

Under the terms of the complicated seven-year, $46.75 million contract Carr signed as a rookie, the final three seasons of the deal were voidable. Early in his career, Carr reached sufficient performance levels to cancel those three years, and technically, his contract would have expired on March 3, the first day of free agency.

But the Texans had the right to "buy back" the voidable years and had two options for doing so. The first would have involved paying Carr a bonus of $5.5 million to buy back two seasons, at base salaries of $5 million for 2006 and $5.25 million for 2007. The second, the deal for which Houston opted, included the $8 million bonus, which bought back three seasons, at base salaries of $5.25 million each in 2006 and 2007 and of $6 million in 2008.

At one point during the season, Houston officials considered the possibility of exercising the two-year option. The Texans also reviewed which NFL franchises might need a quarterback of starting caliber in the next few years, in the event they decided to trade Carr.

They have never come close, however, to putting Carr on the market.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here Insider.

he is a very bad QB,why pay him ti get sacked? it makes no sense,they should trade carr,take young.

he is a very bad QB,why pay him ti get sacked? it makes no sense,they should trade carr,take young.

Carr isnt a bad QB. Look at his stats for his career, look at the horrible O line that he has and the fact that he only has 1 WR that is worth a damn since he's been in the league.

Taking Young will solve none of these peoblems and he'd probably get sacked more than Carr ever did, due to him wanting to make plays with his feet.

Carr isnt a bad QB. Look at his stats for his career, look at the horrible O line that he has and the fact that he only has 1 WR that is worth a damn since he's been in the league.

Taking Young will solve none of these peoblems and he'd probably get sacked more than Carr ever did, due to him wanting to make plays with his feet.

young would get sacked more? LOL yea right,young is more mobile than carr is,and besides,taking young means more fans in the stands.

young would get sacked more? LOL yea right,young is more mobile than carr is,and besides,taking young means more fans in the stands.

It doesnt matter how mobile you are, if you have a horrid O line in front of you you're going to be a sack machine.

Besides, why throw away a QB that has NFL experience and that you have invested money into over a guy that can be a bust? Reliant Stadium is going to be full no matter if Vince Young is there or not.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Domanick Davis, if/when the Texans do indeed draft Bush. He's a solid back who has proven to be an effective runner in this league.

Thunder and Lightning. You'll probably see a rotation of backs like you did in Denver when Kubiak was there as well as having both backs in the backfield at the same time and Bush slotted as a WR at times as well.

If they get their O line problems taken care of (which im sure will happen with Kubiak being the coach) their offense should be pretty dynamic within 1-2 years.

It doesnt matter how mobile you are, if you have a horrid O line in front of you you're going to be a sack machine.

Besides, why throw away a QB that has NFL experience and that you have invested money into over a guy that can be a bust? Reliant Stadium is going to be full no matter if Vince Young is there or not.

I tend to disagree. It's just like Drew Bledsoe... funny how wherever he plays, the offensive line is terrible. ;)

The QB has so much power in not getting sacked... and most football fans seriously underestimate this. Timing, release, pocket presence, vision... You show me a QB who has these traits and I'll show you an All-Pro offensive line. :)

These traits, however, should NEVER be confused with mobility. Mobility doesn't hurt, mind you, but it is not a necessity at all when avoiding the rush.

Take a guy like Dan Marino, or Tom Brady. These guys are the furthest thing from a mobile QB you could ever get, and both play for very average offensive lines. But both QB's are (were) rarely sacked. Both know how to get rid of the ball, read the defense, be weary of the Blitz, and sidestep pressure.

Carr? He has NONE of that. I will come out and say it... he sucks. Everyone says that if he is afforded protection he will magically turn into a pro bowl QB. :rolleyes:

I am making a guarantee right now that Carr will be plagued by a "lack of protection" for his entire career... no matter who the coach is, no matter who he has on his offensive line, etc. Sure, he can make throws in practice, and when he is all alone in the pocket, and when there is no pressure. But show me an NFL QB that can't do those things.

What seperates the men from the boys at the QB position in the NFL are all those intangibles that fans rarely if ever talk about. Fans care about arm strength, mobility, and accuracy. But I believe every QB has at least 2 of those 3 traits. The great QB's? They possess the intangibles I just talked about.

Carr just doesn't have it.

Terrible move for the Texans organization. History will prove me right. Hang on... you'll see for yourself. :2cents:

p.s. Patrick Ramsey, anyone? ;) Gibbs sees it too.

I tend to disagree. It's just like Drew Bledsoe... funny how wherever he plays, the offensive line is terrible. ;)

The QB has so much power in not getting sacked... and most football fans seriously underestimate this. Timing, release, pocket presence, vision... You show me a QB who has these traits and I'll show you an All-Pro offensive line. :)

These traits, however, should NEVER be confused with mobility. Mobility doesn't hurt, mind you, but it is not a necessity at all when avoiding the rush.

Take a guy like Dan Marino, or Tom Brady. These guys are the furthest thing from a mobile QB you could ever get, and both play for very average offensive lines. But both QB's are (were) rarely sacked. Both know how to get rid of the ball, read the defense, be weary of the Blitz, and sidestep pressure.

Carr? He has NONE of that. I will come out and say it... he sucks. Everyone says that if he is afforded protection he will magically turn into a pro bowl QB. :rolleyes:

I am making a guarantee right now that Carr will be plagued by a "lack of protection" for his entire career... no matter who the coach is, no matter who he has on his offensive line, etc. Sure, he can make throws in practice, and when he is all alone in the pocket, and when there is no pressure. But show me an NFL QB that can't do those things.

What seperates the men from the boys at the QB position in the NFL are all those intangibles that fans rarely if ever talk about. Fans care about arm strength, mobility, and accuracy. But I believe every QB has at least 2 of those 3 traits. The great QB's? They possess the intangibles I just talked about.

Carr just doesn't have it.

Terrible move for the Texans organization. History will prove me right. Hang on... you'll see for yourself. :2cents:

p.s. Patrick Ramsey, anyone? ;) Gibbs sees it too.

Sorry Zoony youre off base here.

1. Brandy and Marino didn't have average O-lines, they have and had above average lines that excelled in pass blocking. How often did or do these guys have pressure applied to them? Hardly ever. On both teams rushing was an afterthought and something to keep defenses off balance.

As for reading defenses, he'd have a worse rating than he has if he wasnt able to read defenses. He does have a bad tendancy to hold onto the ball (like Ramsey) but that is a trait that can be coached up'd and a QB shouldnt be discarded due to it.

Carr may never be a great QB but he has his coaches endorsement and belief and this is a guy who has worked with QB's from all pros like Elway all the way to a scrub who is becoming a servicable QB like Plummer.

Oldskool you are confusing cause and effect. Marino never had a 'great' offensive line, although they are viewed that way because of Marino's unbelievable release and pocket presence. Need proof? Check the Dolphin's running game stats. :2cents:

Same thing with Brady. I'm telling you... either of those QB's could play behind the Texan's line and the number of sacks would decrease 70% overnight.

And it's also important to note that I'm not writing the Oline off entirely... not at all. But I've seen enough from Carr to know that the protection issues in Houston transcend Oline issues.

I would put the weights for Pass protection something like this:

QB Awareness/Competence: 50%

OLine Ability: 45%

Backs/TE/Blitz recognition: 5%

But thats just my opinion. :)

And I'll add one more thing. Next time you watch Tom Brady, Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, etc. pay particular attention to each passing play... with particular focus on busted plays and when the QB is under pressure.

Seriously....

Then think to yourself what if it were David Carr back there?

Being intellectually honest, you would have to add about 3 to 4 sacks per game to their totals. Because at a minimum, that is how many sacks good decision making and pocket presence by a QB avoids. This happens Every Single NFL Game. No Excpetions.

Carr gets traded to New England? Guess what... tomorrow, the fans in NE are complaining about how bad their Oline is... all of a sudden they are giving up 2 or 3 more sacks a game. ;) Trust me that is a fact.

I'm not sure it's so much Young's speed alone that's impressive, but just the combo of his mobility and SIZE that makes him special.

He didn't look all that fast to me in the Rose Bowl. :2cents:

I would agree with that Bird. Young was never really a burner, but man was he elusive, and he had one hell of a pocket presence.

I agree this is the right choice for Houston in keeping Carr - Comparing him to Marino isn't really fair. - MArino had an average O-line and good receivers and good play calling - Carr had zero O-line,1 good WR who can be easily double-teamed and poor play-calling. - They would have been foolish to get rid of him.

You'll see them draft Reggie Bush and he'll be running behind an improved O-line that does the stretch blocking scheme and maybe a new WR too.

I'm not sure it's so much Young's speed alone that's impressive, but just the combo of his mobility and SIZE that makes him special.

He didn't look all that fast to me in the Rose Bowl. :2cents:

People used to say that about Eric Dickerson, that he didn't look all that fast. Those looks are deceiving. Young is faster than he looks.

I think taking Bush is a good choice for the Texans. The year Dickerson and Curt Warner started their carreers, they had an immediate and dramatic impact

on their teams -- Warner carried the Seahawks to their first ever playoff appearance that year. I think Bush is on that level and can have as dramatic and immediate an impact as Warner and Dickerson had.

He would be a great combo with bush but it might not be a bad idea for the texans to look to trade davis for an o-lineman. I'm not sure, I'm kinda in the middle between zoony and oldskool---They both have valid points but I think it has a little more to do with the o-line. I'm very impressed carr has thrown for over 10,000 yards in his first four years. That's pretty damn good considering all those other stats.

Archived