Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis's speed

coldpacker

I didn't really pay attention to the NFL until '04 until i heard we were getting Gibbs back so i was unfourtunet to miss what Portis had done in Denver. I just heard from people that he was **** good.

I look back at his short stint in Denver and he put up some GODLY numbers.

When he came to the skins in 04 i was sad to see that the running game wasn't as good as hyped up to be and i was starting to think that Portis didn't really fit among the type of running plays we call.

Come 05' season.

I didn't realize how fast this man is! Even watching this season it didn't hit me (and i didn't miss a game) how fast Portis is. He has the capability of hitting the hole hard, take it to the outside, he even can make tacklers miss on occasion. Not to mention his catching and blocking skills..

Does anyone know his 40y time? This guy has some wheels! How well did he do in Denver?

He did better in Denver, but that has more to do with the system. He was actually quicker in Denver, but less durable and had less power. He put time in the weight room last offseason cus Gibbs needed a 30 carry back.

His 40 time was actually unimpressive at Miami's pro day. Thats why he slipped to the second round. He was drafted AFTER DeShaun Foster, T.J. Duckett, and William Green. One more reason why 40 times are worthless

he's definitely lost some speed here in Washington. I feel he could have busted out some longer runs, but always got tackled from behind. He has adapted to fit the system, whether or not it is to his full potential as well as ours. Maybe we could have been better with Steven Jackson, who knows, but I like Portis just fine. Plus next season with our o-line hopefully upgraded and more gelled, he should have a better year.

When he came to the skins in 04 i was sad to see that the running game wasn't as good as hyped up to be and i was starting to think that Portis didn't really fit among the type of running plays we call.QUOTE]

I can see where you say about him not fitting the plays, but a 1,300 yard season is still pretty damn good. Just look at his first touch as a Redskins, 64 yards to the house against the Bucs.

The knock on Clinton Portis is he needs to learn to catch with his hands not his body, cause if we can motion him as a wide out some times, match up with a LB he will be unstoppable aka LT. I hope we work that out with CP this training camp.

It has always seemed to me that CP has really good hands. He has made some clutch catches during his time here.

The knock on Clinton Portis is he needs to learn to catch with his hands not his body, cause if we can motion him as a wide out some times, match up with a LB he will be unstoppable aka LT. I hope we work that out with CP this training camp.

Me and a lot of other people are convinced that Brunell hates CP. Have you ever noticed that he NEVER hits Portis in stride?

It has always seemed to me that CP has really good hands. He has made some clutch catches during his time here.

I'm not saying he drops the ball, I'm saying he catches with this body so much, that he doesn't get any yards after the catch. He needs to be able to catch with his hands.

not only is he fast but hes durable, yeah he gets banged up but who would have thought a guy his size would work in this system, he answered all critics by playing in every game. his blocking and recieving skills are also some of the best for a running back in the league. as far as well rounded backs, clinton is in the top 3 in my opinion in the league.

I'm not saying he drops the ball, I'm saying he catches with this body so much, that he doesn't get any yards after the catch. He needs to be able to catch with his hands.

he is primaraly a running back not a wide receiver. When he is set up like a wide out or something, he is an option. He is kinda of a last resort when the play falls apart.

He needs to protect the ball as much as he can and as a running back, i don't think he has much choice but to catch it with his body.

He did better in Denver, but that has more to do with the system. He was actually quicker in Denver, but less durable and had less power. He put time in the weight room last offseason cus Gibbs needed a 30 carry back.

His 40 time was actually unimpressive at Miami's pro day. Thats why he slipped to the second round. He was drafted AFTER DeShaun Foster, T.J. Duckett, and William Green. One more reason why 40 times are worthless

Yep. Sometimes the combine tests are accurate but sometimes not. Plus, not every great player has been drafted in the first round. Even though I dislike him, wasn't Brady drafted late in the second round?

Archived