Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monday night football question

Bigmac

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144034

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143984

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/08/AR2006020800590.html

Madden and Al Michaels, ABC's "Monday Night" team the past four years, are leaving ABC for NBC's new Sunday prime-time NFL games next season. Michaels, who had been with ABC for 30 years (and who most famously called the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" Olympic hockey action), was in the middle of an eight-year contract with Walt Disney Co., which owns ESPN and ABC. ESPN declined to discuss the specifics of Michaels's departure.

Ahhhh, you forgot to ask the more important question. Who cares where those bums went? I wish Theisman would go find them and play 'who can hold their breath the longest under water'. Now that would be good reality television, I'd even pay to see that. And Id pay more if someone strapped concrete shoes to their feet! Any takers?

Madden and Al Michaels, ABC's "Monday Night" team the past four years, are leaving ABC for NBC's new Sunday prime-time NFL games next season. Michaels, who had been with ABC for 30 years (and who most famously called the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" Olympic hockey action), was in the middle of an eight-year contract with Walt Disney Co., which owns ESPN and ABC. ESPN declined to discuss the specifics of Michaels's departure.

I understand they got a 4th round draft pic from the Columbia School Of Broadcasting.

It's a shame to see when for what ever reason the older broadcasters are rolled out to pasture. I dont think you can top a Madden-Michaels booth. Michaels for his lazer quick calls and knowledge and Madden for drawing circles around lineman's butts during the middle of a hot summer game. Sometimes the people who make these decisions might not even be a consumer of their own product. The changeover on MNF is a prime example. Do you think the addition a comedian in place of Frank Gifford was a move made by someone who actually watches MNF with I passion? I doubt it. Sounds more like someones wild idea of a bad joke. I think ESPN is hedging their bets with this one. Taking a product which has been free since it's inception and saying to everyone in middle America without cable, "Hey, bite me. Our broadcast is too good for you." Way to go ABC and Disney, once again you have found a way to make everything you own unavailable to people less fortunate in the world.

Madden and Micheals are the all time greatest team. Micheals is extremely sharp when it comes to play calling and Madden is, well, Madden. They make a great team.

As far as Theisman is concerned, I love him for what he did for the Redskins but he is not the most, what's the word..........

Anyway, he was much better throwing a ball the he will ever be at play calling. Madden may be simple and direct in what he says but our boy Theisman comes out of left field with some of his commentary. You have no idea what he's talking about sometimes.

I think the end of MNF (on ABC) is going to be the loss of an American tradition!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madden, doesn't deserve the hype. He is only good at stating the obvious, letting every viewer know who his favorite players are and then failing to be remotely objective about making calls against them, eating food, and talking about athlete's foot.

MNF is an institution. Sunday Night Football has not taken the torch. The players still have the extra vibe for MNF, and that will continue.

Paul Maguire needs to retire. He has offered even less than Madden the past five years. Michael Patrick currently commentates for several sports on ESPN, and I expect that will continue.

Madden and Micheals are the all time greatest team. Micheals is extremely sharp when it comes to play calling and Madden is, well, Madden. They make a great team.

As far as Theisman is concerned, I love him for what he did for the Redskins but he is not the most, what's the word..........

Anyway, he was much better throwing a ball the he will ever be at play calling. Madden may be simple and direct in what he says but our boy Theisman comes out of left field with some of his commentary. You have no idea what he's talking about sometimes.

I think the end of MNF (on ABC) is going to be the loss of an American tradition!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed...Al and John RULE!!! :cheers:

Archived