Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unspy (malware)

herrmag

Anybody else been infected with this? It's OBNOXIOUS! Constantly redirects me when I click on links, etc. I've been putting off building my firewall, but I guess I have no choice now...Although, the most likely culprit is a certain female that shall not be named using my computer and installing silly crap.

Anyways, I edited my registry, deleted every file I could find that is related to it, and am now sweeping my hard disk with Spybot and Ad-Aware. I'm thinking about downloading Hijack this and a few other utilities. Does anyone have an "all in one" solution? i've been looking online and couldn't find one.

how did you get it?

i have a software firewall and spybot. i haven't problems with unwanted popups and redirects for a couple of years now.

I told you, I've been lazy on the firewall (used to have one, got fried, never rebuilt), and I have a g/f that knows nothing about computers. A recipe for disaster, and I deserve this. :(

spysweeper is the best, get it from download.com

Every review I've read suggested Ad-Aware and SpyBot. I've always had Ad Aware, and just added SpyBot. I've always stayed away from SpySweeper because I've read a few negative reviews a while back. But hell, a 3rd one can't hurt until I get a new firewall up and running. :)

Every review I've read suggested Ad-Aware and SpyBot. I've always had Ad Aware, and just added SpyBot. I've always stayed away from SpySweeper because I've read a few negative reviews a while back. But hell, a 3rd one can't hurt until I get a new firewall up and running. :)

TRUST ME! Ad-aware sucks compared to spysweeper....but spysweeper you have to pay for I believe after 30 days. Make sure you update the definitions file. By far spysweeper is the best of them all.....by far.

It's quick and efficient, I have it scheduled to run 4 times a day. Deeper searching software like Spy Bot and Spy Sweeper take a while, so I plan to schedule it to run once a day while I'm asleep.

I use it but it is WAY behind spysweeper. I used to swear by adaware but it doesn't get the "good stuff" that kills me that spysweeper does. If you have spysweeper with updated definitions....adaware is not even necessary.

What is your web browser too? I used to have Internet Explorer and had tons of problems with Malware. I couldn't scan/sweep enough too keep up with that crap. I got Firefox, and it's awesome. For some reason there is a noticeable difference in pop ups. You can get it at Download.com, and I like it better than IE anyway.

TRUST ME! Ad-aware sucks compared to spysweeper....but spysweeper you have to pay for I believe after 30 days. Make sure you update the definitions file. By far spysweeper is the best of them all.....by far.

:laugh: Nowadays, I trust nobody. However, I do research suggestions. Oh, and I never PAY for anything. We use Spy Sweeper at work. It does the job (I think, I don't mess with it, the other system admin deal with it). However, from what I've read, the combo of freeware (like Ad Aware and SpyBot) does a good job.

What is your web browser too? I used to have Internet Explorer and had tons of problems with Malware. I couldn't scan/sweep enough too keep up with that crap. I got Firefox, and it's awesome. For some reason there is a noticeable difference in pop ups. You can get it at Download.com, and I like it better than IE anyway.

I don't believe I received this bug based on my webbrowser. I use Firefox, but at this point, crackers are catching on and developing malware targeted towards Firefox users as well. Unfortunately, I think someone downloaded a faulty .dll. Along with a bunch of other garbage that I attempt to clean up from time to time.

I don't believe I received this bug based on my webbrowser. I use Firefox, but at this point, crackers are catching on and developing malware targeted towards Firefox users as well. Unfortunately, I think someone downloaded a faulty .dll. Along with a bunch of other garbage that I attempt to clean up from time to time.

Wow, sounds like you got it bad. If it's really that bad, you might have to just bite the bullet and go to one of those pay sweepers. Or else do the dreaded "reformat" to get rid of everything. And lord knows that last option is not the option of choice.

:laugh: Nowadays, I trust nobody. However, I do research suggestions. Oh, and I never PAY for anything. We use Spy Sweeper at work. It does the job (I think, I don't mess with it, the other system admin deal with it). However, from what I've read, the combo of freeware (like Ad Aware and SpyBot) does a good job.

That would be INCORRECT.

But thats your choice.

I have de-spyed the worst of them.

That would be INCORRECT.

But thats your choice.

I have de-spyed the worst of them.

Hey, don't get testy man. I said I "research suggestions", and I will research Spy Sweeper more thoroughly. I appreciate you taking the time to make the suggestion. :cheers:

Show me a link that negatively reviews spysweeper and I will bow down to you.

I used to swear by adaware until I got some unfixable problems.

Look, number one, I said a combination of Ad-Aware and Spybot, not Ad-aware alone. Secondly, I am taking your suggestion under consideration. I'm not blowing it off. I just don't like to pay if I can find a combo of freeware that does the trick. That's all, man.

Look, number one, I said a combination of Ad-Aware and Spybot, not Ad-aware alone. Secondly, I am taking your suggestion under consideration. I'm not blowing it off. I just don't like to pay if I can find a combo of freeware that does the trick. That's all, man.

I got ya....

I was the same way.

Internet Explorer, Microsoft, and their security flaws left me at a loss.

I had to pay so dad could play :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D

The best thing you can do is to educate whoever is using your comp to know what executable files are. I'm sure i'm preaching to the choir here, but don't open attachments with .exe or .php's etc. I've spent hours fixing my gf's computer because she opens anything. Today I had to stop her from opening an obvious phishing scam from some "bank" that needed her to update her info. It wasn't even her bank, who would never e-mail you about crap like that, shouldn't that tip you off?

haha, sorry about the rant, again, i'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on here.

Archived