Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can trading Patrick Ramsey really make us better?

mannixguy

I've heard much talk about Patrick Ramsey being traded to upgrade the defense but I'm seriously wondering if people have really thought this out. I won't say Ramsey is the greatest Quarter back out there but he's arguably atleast a 6 or 7 on a scale of one to ten in overall ability. In other words he's a decent backup. It's my opinion that Brunnel will sit out somewhere around 4 games next season due to injury and I'm wondering if we really want to be in a scenario where we have to depend on Campbell to see us through it especially if the games have serious playoff potential. Improved Defense or not I wouldn't want the team to be put into this situation. I'm basically saying Patrick Ramsey is good insurance in an injury type scenario. I say we convince Ramsey to stay. Agree? Disagree?

It all depends on what we get in return. I think really the only reason why Gibbs and Snyder might let him go is the fact that they have a young man in CAmpbell who will most likely be more productive than Ramsey. Add that to the fact that we lack picks, and certain positions to make our defense elite and we have the makings of a trade. Although i do agree that he is a very capable backup, i am sure Gibbs, Snyder, and Saunders want to see Campbell take over at some point next year. If we can get good value from teams looking for a QB, then i believe we should trade Ramsey.

While you do make good points you also have to consider that Ramsey's trade value may not be any higher than it is right now. ALso after this year I believe that Ramsey may be an unrestricted free agent so we need to get something for him while we can.

disgree totally... he may be a good backup QB. But thats why hopefully Brunell is there (as a backup). Id love to start Campbell... i think he has the talent. and as for trading ramsey... im all for it. he really hasnt done much for our team (except help seal the deal with the giants), but still that is one game. we need to look where we really need someone. and ramsey isnt the guy, in my opinion, that will lead us the the playoffs next year. brunell isnt finished his career and i would trust him as a backup way before i would trust ramsey. we need to trade him to up our D. thats just my opinion.

I think at some point the organization needs to take into consideration what is best for Patrick... and that is what we are seeing with the trade talk.

Obviously, we would be better off with him on the sidelines this year. Obviously, with Ramsey still under contract, we would be within our rights to do so.

But obviously, this would not be in Ramsey's best interests.

Ramsey has been a pro... he's been gracious in his assignments. To not grant him a trade and keep him on the bench another year would be a slap in the face... and Joe Gibbs is just not going to do something like that.

We're not the eagles, after all. :)

Certainly, you pose a good question, and that is why I don't think that the Redskins will just trade him for just anything. He still has a lot of value to this team as a backup who knows the offense and has started in the NFL, which Campbell has not. (Yes, I know he's played bigtime college football, but it isn't the same, no matter how big time it was.)

I do think a team will meet the Redskins asking price, tho, if just because the Redskins have the luxury of not NEEDING to trade him.

Jason

I would love to have him stay

That way there is a real solid insurance policy if either one of the potential starters (Brunell, Campbell) goes down.

However, as its been said in this thread, for PR it is best that he gets traded. And with the way he has acted and been a professional, it is only right the team grants his wish

I think that we should trade Ramsey to benefit both parties. Keeping Ramsey would be a luxury for us because Brunell is the starter and Campbell is obviously the future of this team at the qb position. For Ramsey, well, he deserves a chance to be a starting qb for another team. Patrick is a soldier and I love him to death and I would hate to see him leave. But let's be fair, he deserves a fair chance at the starting qb position and he won't get that here.

I'm fed up with depending on Ramsey. If I'm going to depend on anyone at QB next year, other than Brunell, it's Campbell. Ramsey had his stint here. The Proving Grounds are long behind him, and he didn't prove himself. It's time to trade him somewhere where they'll still consider him fair game.

I've heard much talk about Patrick Ramsey being traded to upgrade the defense but I'm seriously wondering if people have really thought this out. I won't say Ramsey is the greatest Quarter back out there but he's arguably atleast a 6 or 7 on a scale of one to ten in overall ability. In other words he's a decent backup. It's my opinion that Brunnel will sit out somewhere around 4 games next season due to injury and I'm wondering if we really want to be in a scenario where we have to depend on Campbell to see us through it especially if the games have serious playoff potential. Improved Defense or not I wouldn't want the team to be put into this situation. I'm basically saying Patrick Ramsey is good insurance in an injury type scenario. I say we convince Ramsey to stay. Agree? Disagree?

I agree partially. If we can get a 2nd round pick or a top 3rd round pick I would trade PR. If not, PR is worth more to the Redskins than in a trade.

Its a moot point however. Gibbs said he will trade or release PR after this past season...so PR is 99.9% gone.

I think at some point the organization needs to take into consideration what is best for Patrick... and that is what we are seeing with the trade talk.

Obviously, we would be better off with him on the sidelines this year. Obviously, with Ramsey still under contract, we would be within our rights to do so.

But obviously, this would not be in Ramsey's best interests.

Ramsey has been a pro... he's been gracious in his assignments. To not grant him a trade and keep him on the bench another year would be a slap in the face... and Joe Gibbs is just not going to do something like that.

We're not the eagles, after all. :)

Well said.

I like PR but trading him could make us better by giving us an extra draft pick. He has potential but it will never emerge here, not fair to him to keep him here.

precisely. i love ramsey, he did nothing but good here. but he's not our franchise qb, and for all he's done, it is not fair to keep him a forever backup here.

I like PR but trading him could make us better by giving us an extra draft pick. He has potential but it will never emerge here, not fair to him to keep him here.

i agree .. hes not hand picked by gibbs and to keep him here with Campbell on the way up the ladder wouldnt be fair but who says the NFL has to be fair?

He's a warrior and Gibbs will keep him here if they decide to open up the QB race in spring. However, it's got to be difficult for Patrick to live with the message that Campbell is Gibbs' guy. And, for that matter, so was/is Brunell. I think Gibbs is too genuine to keep him relegated to a backup role if he knows there is little chance he is going to start for us.

Whether trading him will help...only if it involves a proven veteran. Sometimes it takes a couple of years before we know how the draft picks turn out (obviously). Of course, we could get lucky!

He's gone after this year no matter what so you might as well get something for him when you can especially when you gave away a 3rd and 4th rounder to move up a year and draft another QB.

Besides players notice things like how you treat a player like Ramsey.

He's gone after this year no matter what so you might as well get something for him when you can especially when you gave away a 3rd and 4th rounder to move up a year and draft another QB.

That has been my point all along.

This is the last year of his contract. No way will he re-sign. The team sure as hell won't franchise him next year. He's not worth it. May as well trade Ramsey for a couple reasons:

1) He wants to start, which won't happen here.

2) This is the last opportunity to get any value for him.

Besides players notice things like how you treat a player like Ramsey.

Excellent point! Other players pay attention to things like this.

Ramsey would have a very good future if we traded him to another team. Brunell has experience and Campbell has his experience of leading his team to victory. So I think if Brunell starts and gets injured, Campbell will be fine taking over his position. It would be unfair to Ramsey if we sat him out another year.

Archived