Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pre-Season; Waste of time?

Larry Gude

Speaking of Mr. Tony, it was mentioned on his show that the NFL ought to get rid of preseason or limit it, going to an 18-20 game regular season and increase rosters to make depth more important. A longer season gives you a bit more room for error, say, in starting younger QB's and time for more people to perhaps make it back from 4-8 week injuries etc.

I like the idea. Pre-season is SO boring and SO meaningless as a fan. What was pre-season evaluations with 2nd and 3rd teamers against 2nd and 3rd teamers would be a whole lot more meaningful if the game counted and guys you are looking at were thrust into competition with starters.

I like it.

What say you, Extremeskins?

Pre-season is very important, it give the 2nd and 3rd stringer a chance to play, if the games counted they wouldn't play at all and would have to come in against starters with no expereince in an injury situation. It also gives new player a chance to run the system during in0game situation, you can only see so much in practice

18-20 regular season games it too many, and by the time they get to the playoffs and get through that is too much for a body to take. Hits take a toll. Even if the rosters are increased, the straters will still play more than if there were 16 regular season games plus 4 pre-season games, salary cap would have to increase.

So, no, I do not think increasing the games would be beneficial. It also makes more regular season games meaningless and we shall fall into the baseball, hockey, basektball problem of meaningless games that have empty seats in the stands...

I like having 2 preseason games and 18 games (19 weeks) in a regular season; perhaps they should also introduce a second bye week to allow for teams to rest and recover from injuries. My 2 cents.

I like this idea. Very sensible. Of course they'll have to raise the salary cap because the players will be wanting more money and you would definately need to increase the roster size a bit to manage wear and tear on your starters..

Over all I really don't care. I don't think Preseason should go away completely, but shrinking it to 2 games wouldn't hurt.

I think pre-season is fine, but make it 3 games instead of 4. That last game barely matters for most teams anyways, they have a general idea by then of their backups. I also do like the 2nd bye week idea. Instead of a 4th pre-season game, add another bye week and start the season a week earlier.

When you were a kid did you ever draw a really cool picture or build something really cool? and then one of your friends came along and said "wow, that's cool, but what if we add this and do this?!"... and the only thing you thought was "go away you dumb slut, its perfect the way it is. your missing around with it will only make it ugly and ruin it".

you are that friend.

Taking the pre-season out completely would be great for us as long as Joe Gibbs is around. No coach would have his team better prepared than Gibbs in week 1 without a pre-season. We'd fly out of the gate at 4-0 before teams even knew what the hell they were doing. But Gibbs will only be around for 3 more years tops so the point is moot.

Four pre-season games is way too much though. And after watching Noble and Jansen go down the past couple years in the pre-season, it's simply a waste.

I don't know that I would change the scheduling. More games = more injuries to the league's elite - we don't want some watered down league with a few great guys and lots of scrubs. Preseason is good because I can see what players like Jason Campball have - guys who aren't going to start unless someone else goes down in the regular season. Watching a guy throw a ball in camp is nothing like watching him under pressure during a game situation. Even if it doesn't mean anything, the guys on the field want to win. HOWEVER, I do think that ticket prices are too high for preseason, especially for us season ticket holders. It seems ridiculous to me that I'm buying 10 tickets that are all the same price when 2 of those are preseason. Is the preseason another way for Synder and the other NFL owners to milk out more money? Yes, it serves a purpose, but do I need to be paying $100 to watch our backups?

Speaking of Mr. Tony, it was mentioned on his show that the NFL ought to get rid of preseason or limit it, going to an 18-20 game regular season and increase rosters to make depth more important. A longer season gives you a bit more room for error, say, in starting younger QB's and time for more people to perhaps make it back from 4-8 week injuries etc.

I like the idea. Pre-season is SO boring and SO meaningless as a fan. What was pre-season evaluations with 2nd and 3rd teamers against 2nd and 3rd teamers would be a whole lot more meaningful if the game counted and guys you are looking at were thrust into competition with starters.

I like it.

What say you, Extremeskins?

not meaningless, just too long. 2 games would be just fine. the risk of injuries makes the games a joke much of the time. the only value is

1. getting the timing of offenses down

2. giving younger players a chance in game situations

2 games would be enough, i think

I like having 2 preseason games and 18 games (19 weeks) in a regular season; perhaps they should also introduce a second bye week to allow for teams to rest and recover from injuries. My 2 cents.

i really like the idea of a second bye week. when it comes very early, as it did for the skins, it sure makes recovering from injuries that much harder.

also, perhaps there needs to be a second type of IR, the way baseball has it so that a player could come back to the squad after 6 weeks, say.

i really like the idea of a second bye week. when it comes very early, as it did for the skins, it sure makes recovering from injuries that much harder.

also, perhaps there needs to be a second type of IR, the way baseball has it so that a player could come back to the squad after 6 weeks, say.

They had two bye weeks a while ago (don't remember the year) and I can't speak for everybody but I friggin hated it. I have a hard time with one bye week during the year.

When you were a kid did you ever draw a really cool picture or build something really cool? and then one of your friends came along and said "wow, that's cool, but what if we add this and do this?!"... and the only thing you thought was "go away you dumb slut, its perfect the way it is. your missing around with it will only make it ugly and ruin it".

you are that friend.

I really don't know how to say 'thank you' for your input. To think of this thread without your deep thoughts is simply...

Maybe I'll draw picture? I'm seeing a hand...yes...a hand...I see only one finger though...yes...it's becoming clearer with no need to add to it...perfect the way it is...

Thanks!

In modern football- yes! You already know who's going to make the roster for the most part. The USFL had 18 games and the CFL does. It's all about the money though- so here's my solution.

3 preseason games and a 17 game season with 2 byes over 19 weeks.

To spread the NFL around, the 3rd preseason game is played in different cities in the U.S. and around the world. You can open the preseason with the 1st preseason being played all over the world/U.S. and then the remaining 2 preseason games: home/away

For that 17th regular season game- the Top 16 teams get the extra home game. That should be an incentive to win more games than you lose. Also, that extra home game maybe a way to nudge the owners to agree on a new deal among themselves.

No byes the first week and final week. The remaining 17 weeks- the 2 byes are spread out.

If the NFL went to a longer season I'm sure a couple of things would have to happen. 1. increase the salary cap, because, 2. all the contracts would have to be restructured. More games at the same $$ = a pay cut for all the players. These days few players would want to play more games without compensation. (Can I blame them? Not really) Something would have to be worked out for the players to get thier share. Maybe pro-rate the average per game over another game or two?? What happened last time they added games to the season from 14 to 16?

Another thought, maybe players should get paid by a percentage of the gate...they'd def work harder:laugh:

I have always thought of pre-season in terms of cattle purchasing, or the way lions pick out prey from a pack. When people buy cattle, they look for the strongest of the bunch. Take 'em out and run 'em for a while and get rid of the ones that come up lame. When big cats go after their prey, they watch the pack run around for a while, and then go after the one that seems week or slow. Just look at the coaches as the big cats, cutting the ones that fall to the back of the group. I cant think of it in any more simple of terms.

Well,

Here's my thoughts after reading all these responses;

LEAVE IT ALONE:

Lengthening the season would cheapen the week to week importance of each game. Whoever said that is right. I think all football fans really like that each game really means something for every team for at least, what, 1/2 the season before anyone is eliminated from the playoffs.

Increased wear and tear. A career shortener. I gotta agree with this as well after thinking about it. There's plenty of guys who wouldn't want to have a replacement and would tough it out and we'd end up with guys like Darrell Green giving us 15 years instead of 20 or however long he played.

CHANGE IT:

Paying for what amounts to a scrimmage is insane. My thought here is now to eliminate some or all of pre-season. The games simply suck and are not worth watching let alone extorting season ticket holders to pay full price to see three quarters of a bunch of hopefuls, a handful of which MIGHT end up on someones practice squad.

Too much risk. Football is brutal enough and how many times has a key starter gone out for the year (Mike Vick, John Jansen) for what amounts to extended practice?

It's not worthwhile evaluation anyway: What does anyone learn by, say, Jason Campbell playing well against 2nd and 3rd teamers? NOTHING. Coaches have already seen him in practice against first teamers.

SUMMARY:

Go ahead an add an extra scrimmage or two if coaches want it but preseason is a pathetic waste of time. For the final word in the value of preseason I give you two words:

Steve Spurrier.

Someone else said it ain't gonna change because of the money.

I'm afraid that's the right answer. Not right, but correct.

What would be nice for the non-season ticket fans is to give season ticket holders the option to buy or pass on the two preseason games and sell the rest to the general public at say, 1/2 price.

Call it fan appreciation for all those who never get the chance to see the Skins live.

Archived