Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Drive (Madden Related)

Spaceman Spiff

Arrrgghhh! you guys probably already know what I'm talking about...

The game is late and close and your defense has been dominating the whole game. No problem rushing the pass, no problem defending receivers or stuffing the run. However, you haven't faired as well against their defense. The score is 17-13 and they get the ball with 2:30 to go...and suddenly it seems like their QB/WR is Montana/Rice and the RB you've been stuffing all game suddenly has turned into a combination of Jim Brown, Walter Payton and Barry Sanders. Meanwhile your defense which was so dominant all of a sudden looks like a pop warner football league team. What the hell is going on?

I don't mind losing a game of Madden every once in awhile when I know I got beat fairly, but this is rediculous. And for all you Madden players out there, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, that insane drive that just comes out of NOWHERE from the computer...

...how do you stop it and cut it off?

(and yes, this just happened to me)

I used to smash the controller... that seemed to stop them dead in their tracks. :doh:

That is funny that the bug still exists, though... I haven't played Madden since college, maybe 10 years ago. I know exactly what you're talking about.

I usually don't give up a whole drive. But if I do lose a game it is do to some 80 BS play where either:

A) I try to hit stick and miss and it leads to some huge running play.

or

B) The comp f***s up at trying to tackle a guy after the catch.

B describes the worst glitch in the game. Anyone notice that if one of ur guys gets burned and then before u can switch to the nearest player to make the tackle, the computer makes the player take a horrible angle and dives before he can actually get to the wide receiver?? That is how I give up long passes.

Other than that my defense is sick. I hardly ever give up a big drive, but every once in awhile my defense will just break down and give up some ridiculous play.

Honestly, this doesn't happen to me anymore with the last 2 releases. I, like most people here, use the Skins and their defense is good enough to stop a potential game winning drive. What I love the most about Madden games is the gameplay gets better each year and becomes more and more like a true NFL game in terms of play calling. Some plays just always seem to work against certain defenses, but when you can tweak it such that you play bump-and-run , call certain audibles, shift personnel to the correct spots, you'll stop your opponents. You can't keep playing the same 4-5 plays thru out the game on either offense or defense, b/c opponents will attack your weaknesses once they find it. Just like in real football, once you make your opponent one dimensional, you can stop them easily. I play prevent defense when I know my opponent must pass (at any time during the game), but I run it out of diff sets in either nickel or dime.

One bug (if you want to call it that) that has always been in the game is how easy it is to make big plays and score after a turnover. It gives you a lot of momentum when your opponent turns the ball over, and regardless of field position, I gamble alot by running a bunch of PA bombs, flea flickers, and other trick plays. Works 80% of the time for me on offense, so when you turn it over, make sure to play a safe defense to avoid giving up those big TDs.

If you get a lead on the computer, you hog the ball because if they get it too much they will cheat you. I do not want to talk about Madden mine for the Box got messed up at the bottom. So when I get a chance I play as often as possible. Maybe we should run an ES Madden tournament. It do not matter what system it is on I will win either one.

Dude, I NEVER even have to wrory about this problem. THe computer sucks man, its always a blowout. Your right though, it does happen and ruins my shutoutts if im up like 46-0 and in the end they get a td drive...and yes I do play on all madden level

Do you get your own squad or play with a good team or ddo you play them with the Texans.

Edit: when I say own squad I mean do you get players in free agency draft etc.

Arrrgghhh! you guys probably already know what I'm talking about...

The game is late and close and your defense has been dominating the whole game. No problem rushing the pass, no problem defending receivers or stuffing the run. However, you haven't faired as well against their defense. The score is 17-13 and they get the ball with 2:30 to go...and suddenly it seems like their QB/WR is Montana/Rice and the RB you've been stuffing all game suddenly has turned into a combination of Jim Brown, Walter Payton and Barry Sanders. Meanwhile your defense which was so dominant all of a sudden looks like a pop warner football league team. What the hell is going on?

I don't mind losing a game of Madden every once in awhile when I know I got beat fairly, but this is rediculous. And for all you Madden players out there, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, that insane drive that just comes out of NOWHERE from the computer...

...how do you stop it and cut it off?

(and yes, this just happened to me)

I know exactly what you're talking about. For obvious reasons, the computer passes more than they run in those situations. QB Trap out of Quarter works as well as anything else.

It's important also to read whether or not bumping the receivers has been effective during the game. If it has, you may want to try it. If not, definitely avoid it, as it will only make things easier on the CPU team.

If all else fails, let the computer score and try to put together a 2-minute drill of your own.

Do you get your own squad or play with a good team or ddo you play them with the Texans.

Edit: when I say own squad I mean do you get players in free agency draft etc.

I did the fantasy draft...so while I'm the Redskins, the team isn't what you'd expect. I do have Portis and Sean Taylor, though. I don't think I have any other players who are currently on the Skins.

And I stopped the aforementioned drive of theirs, but it wasn't do to anything I did, they just dropped a pass that would have given them 1st and goal and then another in the endzone.

DFitzo, Good looking out on the QB trap out of the quarter, I'll have to try it out.

the computer definitely cheats if you get up by too much, especially late in the game, and they always play far better in the 4th quarter. i havent played the madden series since around 2003, but i know back then, if you were up by 10 or more going into the fourth, you'd just fumble ridiculously until the computer got close again, or outright beat you. so lame!

yeah that happens to me all the times as well, I play at all madden level and I am usually up my a touchdown, but when they get the ball back around 1:20 minutes left, they always seem to score the touchdown. I kind of cheat, I actually save the game before they start their last drive. So thanks for giving me the tip to play qb trap in the quarter package

No, the worst is when your blowing a team out, and you want the shutout and then suddenly it happens. The, what I like to call, the "slow jump". It's happened to everybody thats ever played Madden. The computer DB jumps up to try to intercept the ball, and of course, it goes right thru the db's hands. Guarenteed 80 yard td for the comp every time. My goodness that is annoying as hell.

If you get a lead on the computer, you hog the ball because if they get it too much they will cheat you. I do not want to talk about Madden mine for the Box got messed up at the bottom. So when I get a chance I play as often as possible. Maybe we should run an ES Madden tournament. It do not matter what system it is on I will win either one.

Heh, keep telling yourself that kid

No, the worst is when your blowing a team out, and you want the shutout and then suddenly it happens. The, what I like to call, the "slow jump". It's happened to everybody thats ever played Madden. The computer DB jumps up to try to intercept the ball, and of course, it goes right thru the db's hands. Guarenteed 80 yard td for the comp every time. My goodness that is annoying as hell.

Yep it happens just like clockwork!

Spiff, do you control your DBs, or your linemen? I know a lot of people try to control the linemen trying to rush the QB. But that's not always the best way to work. I control my CBs and Safeties throughout the game. I've become a master at it now. I just played my first Franchise season in Madden and Sean Taylor had 12 INTs and 3 TDs. I find that if you let the DBs do their own coverage they do really stupid stuff. So, you may want to manually cover the deep areas.

I've noticed that within 2 min left in the game, the computer turns into some machine. All their plays work.....and the only way to stop them is to blitzt the hell out of the QB and hope you get an int.

zone won't work, man won't work. Its not a glitch...its part of the program I guess.

Hate to burst your bubble bro. But, computers are machines. ;)

BTW, is your sig in reference to the SNL: Chronic(what?)cles of Narnia, Digital Short Skit?

yes that happens alot but the two things i want them to address is 1. stats (make them realistic) they are so bogus i actually hate them..example Eli Manning has a 90 overal with a 94 throwing power-BS- and a 90 Accuracy WTF? i dont know how or where they come up with these ratings...second get rid of that damn QB vision cone( i only play on-line so you guys who play know exactly what i am saying....and just for kicks STOP MAKING SPEED THE ULTIMATE JUDGE OF SKILL IN THE GAME just because a player has a 98 speed does not make him unstoppable(Bethal Johnson) awareness should be the deciding factor along with real life ability.

yes that happens alot but the two things i want them to address is 1. stats (make them realistic) they are so bogus i actually hate them..example Eli Manning has a 90 overal with a 94 throwing power-BS- and a 90 Accuracy WTF? i dont know how or where they come up with these ratings...second get rid of that damn QB vision cone( i only play on-line so you guys who play know exactly what i am saying....and just for kicks STOP MAKING SPEED THE ULTIMATE JUDGE OF SKILL IN THE GAME just because a player has a 98 speed does not make him unstoppable(Bethal Johnson) awareness should be the deciding factor along with real life ability.

I can't say that I have an issue with the Vision Cone. I like the fact that someone can't run to one side of the field and throw the ball back to the other side with no penalties.

I can't say that I have an issue with the Vision Cone. I like the fact that someone can't run to one side of the field and throw the ball back to the other side with no penalties.

true but in real life a QB simply turns his head and throws not use his thumb to move a third button and use the second button to ste and plant and a third button to throw the ball I KNOW I KNOW its a video game but i love when someone switches recievers because 90% of the time its a sack...it just takes too long and in madden its all about the pass rush...so now almost everyone plays with pats,colts,giants,packers and panthers because of the field site of the QB

true but in real life a QB simply turns his head and throws not use his thumb to move a third button and use the second button to ste and plant and a third button to throw the ball I KNOW I KNOW its a video game but i love when someone switches recievers because 90% of the time its a sack...it just takes too long and in madden its all about the pass rush...so now almost everyone plays with pats,colts,giants,packers and panthers because of the field site of the QB

That is definitely true. I find that it's almost impossible to run Play Action or RollOuts online. The remedy I've found for stopping the blitz is by effectively Sliding the Protection. It's helped me tremendously. I also, try to analyze the defense before the snap, to try and find who I might be able to find open.

Archived