Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

King eulogists jab Bush at funeral (merged)

Ghost of

When are some people going to wake up to the fact that this country LOVES Bill Clinton. So does most of the world. They don't care one bit about his sex life especially not in the privacy of his office.

They love him cause he's very smart and has a kind heart. He'd actually make a great head of the party. I never even thought of that before. Great suggestion.

He's so darn smart he threw his entire Presidency down the toilet for a blowjob. Speaking of great head at a party......

Normally, I'd never make such an uncouth comment...but you guys have helped me realize I shouldn't feel the need to hold back...no matter what the setting. Thanks for setting me free! I can hardly wait to attend church on Sunday. I've got a few things to get off my chest.

He's so darn smart he threw his entire Presidency down the toilet for a blowjob. Speaking of great head at a party......

Normally, I'd never make such an uncouth comment...but you guys have helped me realize I shouldn't feel the need to hold back...no matter what the setting. Thanks for setting me free! I can hardly wait to attend church on Sunday. I've got a few things to get off my chest.

He didn't do that. His opponents did that. And I am sure if it hadn't been that they would have found something equally ridiculous to fixate on. The level of hatred for Bill Clinton was just unbelievable, almost pathological, and started way, way, way before Monica Lewinksy or Paula Jones ever entered the picture.

Free at last. Free at last. You know the rest (with deep apologies to the King family on this solemn day)

Absolute and complete and utter NONSENSE!

The SCLC was never a "Communist front" organization.

In what redneck newspaper did you find this pic and cutline featured?

I grew up in Virgina in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s and saw a lot of this crap peddled as real news!

WinSkins...All I did was google image search and it came up. Calm down, I know its some urban legend conspiracy type deal. I love conspiracy theories. But just to get things going again...I wonder how his wife felt when she found out he had extra marital affairs.

You know when a thread meanders as far afield as this one, it usually indicates folks want to talk about everything except the topic at hand. Rude is rude. If you don't want someone at an important event, funeral, wedding, bar mitzvah, whatever, you make it clear they're not welcome. You don't allow them to attend, put them at center stage, then go out of your way to humiliate them. Its classless. Anyone who says otherwise simply isn't being intellectually honest. Go ahead, admit it. You'll feel soo much cleaner.

You know when a thread meanders as far afield as this one, it usually indicates folks want to talk about everything except the topic at hand. Rude is rude. If you don't want someone at an important event, funeral, wedding, bar mitzvah, whatever, you make it clear they're not welcome. You don't allow them to attend, put them at center stage, then go out of your way to humiliate them. Its classless. Anyone who says otherwise simply isn't being intellectually honest. Go ahead, admit it. You'll feel soo much cleaner.

Exactly. While not a big fan of Bush, he is still the pres. and as such is expected to attend funerals of national figures. It isn't like he crashed the funeral and drew the abuse. If he had skipped it, he would have caught more hell of racial kind.

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Way to be classy, people.

I love how people can't put aside their political agendas anymore. Some things transcend politics, this being one of them. Sad.

I never saw anyone on the right use the death of thousands on 9/11 for politics - ever.....

Both parties are filled with awful people who will use anything to get across their point. There are still some good ones left on both sides, they are just few and far between.

People in this thread keep seeing things as bashing. They assume that's all it is and how it was intended. There is of course another side to it.

Activists, be they elected officials or not, live a life devoted to ideals. To pretend that these ideals have to be forgotten at a persons funeral because they may be offensive to the guest is truely a surprising concept. I always figured a funeral was all about the person that has passed on, silly me.

Like I said before I don't know if Mrs. King agreed with the statements that were made. If she did, then please do tell me why what the women stood for should be muzzled at her passing? The people in the best position to know what the deceased would have wanted are her friends. If this is how she felt and this is what her friends think she would have wanted then it was right. If it wasn't then it was a shameful act of grandstanding.

Also I don't find the comments being nearly as terrible as people are making them out to be. The idea that there are billions to spend on a conflict but the poor go without is nothing new to anyone that listened to any of the modern civil rights leaders speak. It's a standard comment. Could they have been less confrontational, yes. But I think they would have made one hell of a bigger splash had they told the President not to attend as Tarhog has suggested.

I for one credit Bush for attending. He walked into a room that was less then supportive of him and his policies because it was important that the office of the President of the United States of America pay its respects to this woman. I'm sure he respected her personally as well. He handled everything well and showed he has a lot more class then his opponents give him credit. Good for him.

People in this thread keep seeing things as bashing. They assume that's all it is and how it was intended. There is of course another side to it.

Activists, be they elected officials or not, live a life devoted to ideals. To pretend that these ideals have to be forgotten at a persons funeral because they may be offensive to the guest is truely a surprising concept. I always figured a funeral was all about the person that has passed on, silly me.

Please. Carter's comments and the Rev Lowery's comments were not meant to celebrate her life and ideals. It was their opportunity to take a political swipe at the President and his policies, at a funeral no less. There is no longer any decency left in this country. I found it pathetic and disgusting.

:laugh: Classic. Nothing like venting at Church.

Please. Carter's comments and the Rev Lowery's comments were not meant to celebrate her life and ideals. It was their opportunity to take a political swipe at the President and his policies, at a funeral no less. There is no longer any decency left in this country. I found it pathetic and disgusting.

What you call "political swipes" were her ideals.

I for one credit Bush for attending. He walked into a room that was less then supportive of him and his policies because it was important that the office of the President of the United States of America pay its respects to this woman. I'm sure he respected her personally as well. He handled everything well and showed he has a lot more class then his opponents give him credit. Good for him.

Exactly right. The same kind of class former President Clinton has shown in putting aside political differences to show solidarity for important causes (such as Katrina Relief work). Bravo.

Could you get the entire transcript of each speech? I want to see if these comments were the centerpiece of a Bush-attack or passing comments that were interpretive.

I'm sure it has been reiterated over and over in this thread, but I hate public funerals. They should be for those that were close to the person. The family, the friends. This turned into a political stunt. Hate Bush? Hate the policies? Cool. Do it outside on the sidewalk AFTER the funeral. I know her business was battling freedom for all, just like her husband. But damn, give it a rest, and let people REALLY grieve, not just push their agendas.

I'm sure it has been reiterated over and over in this thread, but I hate public funerals. They should be for those that were close to the person. The family, the friends. This turned into a political stunt. Hate Bush? Hate the policies? Cool. Do it outside on the sidewalk AFTER the funeral. I know her business was battling freedom for all, just like her husband. But damn, give it a rest, and let people REALLY grieve, not just push their agendas.

Yeah,maybe it's just the way I was raised,but a standing ovation at a funeral for something like that :doh:

I doubt MLK or the missus would aprove THAT dream.

I don't know if you can say they are just saying what she would say.

I'm pretty sure she's been to her fair share of funerals and was probably the epitome of decorum, as you would have heard something if she chose that time to speek out.

As they should have been at hers!

I also wanted to second those thoughts.

I was thinking of expressing them in a less complimentary fashion (claiming that this was likely the first time in his administration that he'd stood in front of an audience that hadn't been hand picked for loyalty), but I decided against it.

And your point is perfectly valid, and I do respect him for it. He had to know that there would be at least some negative feelings (whether expressed or not).

I think at least part of his reason for attending was political, but then I don't think any politician ever does anything without at least thinking about the political implications. (I'd bet that, with the possible exception of immediate family, every single person was there for political reasons, at least partially.) And even then, it's not like he needed to go because he's working on his next election or anything.

From reading this thread, one would think only Democrats make speaches with a touch of politics at funerals. Has everyone forgotten the preacher organizing protest after protest against abortion and homosexuality at our soldiers funerals? Are we to believe these are the talking points of the Democratic party too?

Sadly any large grouping of people that draws cameras and politicians will probably have a political bent to it. When the funeral is for somebody who greatly influenced our current politics, it will be even more political.

As an aside, I just wanted to echo the Kudos to Bush for showing up where his office is expected to be despite it being perhaps a bit uncomfortable.

Gbear ,that loon is roundly condemned by most everyone,especialy by me since he claims to be of my faith.

We as a nation have come a long way,but there is still work to do.

Coretta summed up her and her husband's struggle: "By reaching into and beyond ourselves and tapping the transcendent ethic of love, she shall overcome these evils. Love, truth, and the courage to do what is right should be our own guideposts on this lifelong journey."

Anyne who thinks Coretta would not have loved that funeral knows NOTHING about her or her causes. She would have loved it. Passionate speeches about the causes she loved and championed. Reminders of the abuses she and her husband and children suffered at the hands of her own government. The failure of her government to act in a timely manner during the civil rights struggle (and, yea, I'm looking at you Bobby Kennedy) - all these facts of life, HER life, were completely appropriate to discuss at HER funeral. There was nothing lacking in decorum about the funeral. People who think that are the same people who think it's "impolite" for Rosa Parks to have rudely disobeyed the bus driver.

Martin Luther King wasn't considered polite either. But I'm sure the Bushes enjoying their exclusive and restricted neighborhoods and schools and clubs and work places were always considered "polite."

President Carter, who probably knows more about Southern African American religious services better than most people here, spoke from the heart and head about the very abuses she endured. Church is supposed to be where we see the light, where we repent and resolve to sin no more - where we get preached at for doing wrong. Where people are championed when they survive a struggle. Why should those important elements of a church funeral be eliminated and dumb downed just cause the President was there. I think it's about time the President got a little preaching at.

Anyne who thinks Coretta would not have loved that funeral knows NOTHING about her or her causes. She would have loved it. Passionate speeches about the causes she loved and championed. Reminders of the abuses she and her husband and children suffered at the hands of her own government. The failure of her government to act in a timely manner during the civil rights struggle (and, yea, I'm looking at you Bobby Kennedy) - all these facts of life, HER life, were completely appropriate to discuss at HER funeral. There was nothing lacking in decorum about the funeral. People who think that are the same people who think it's "impolite" for Rosa Parks to have rudely disobeyed the bus driver.

Martin Luther King wasn't considered polite either. But I'm sure the Bushes enjoying their exclusive and restricted neighborhoods and schools and clubs and work places were always considered "polite."

President Carter, who probably knows more about Southern African American religious services better than most people here, spoke from the heart and head about the very abuses she endured. Church is supposed to be where we see the light, where we repent and resolve to sin no more - where we get preached at for doing wrong. Where people are championed when they survive a struggle. Why should those important elements of a church funeral be eliminated and dumb downed just cause the President was there. I think it's about time the President got a little preaching at.

Amen....you are absolutely right.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Quality post.

Archived