Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blues Music - Any Blues fans in here?

DeanCollins

I became a Blues completely by accident. My childhood friend, of 40 years now, his mother had a stack of blues records. Our interest was piqued when she laughed at us one day while listening to a Hendrix album around 1970.

She walked in and he said "mom check out this cool blues song" Redhouse.

Well then she brought out the records. Muddy Waters-Neport jazz festival, Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, John Lee Hooker, Willy Dixon- I am the Blues, BB King.....

Well we couldn't believe how much authority, presence, conviction, and feeling that these Masters put into thier music. It really opened our eyes to see how weak sounding the British (and American) blues rock music was/is.

A couple years later, someone brought a Johnny Winter LP (second winter)

over and the spark became a flame fanned by Robin Trower, Alvin Lee, Eric Clapton. Then read that EC's major influences were Buddy Guy, and

Freddy King (who EC served an apprenticeship with).

A couple years later (1977) Johnny Winter produces a couple albums and tours with Muddy Waters and James Cotton and they played at DAR Constitution hall on my 17th birthday! The galvanization was now complete.

I was lucky enough to see Muddy Waters two more times at the Cellar Door. On both occasions, my friends and I got to hang out with Muddy Waters, after the shows. He saw us peaking throught the doorway and invited us in. What a cool guy he was. He was intrigued why 18 year old white boys, were so interested in the blues.

The%20Muddy%20Waters%20Band.jpgmuddy.jpg

So, who do you like? Who have you seen? Are you listening to "Bluesville" on XM sat/direct TV? I really like the latest generation of blues players, Susan Tedeshi, Derek Trucks, Johnny Lang,

and Kenny Wayne Shepard.

I'm not strongly versed in the blues, but I've found myself enjoying it to some degree. I have a hard time getting into classic blues, because I'm used to music being shaped in the form of an album, and so when I just get a collection of various songs that were recorded years ago, I have trouble processing it. But that's my fault not the musics.

Delta Blues are great, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker. Anything I've heard on Fat Possum records has been great, R.L. Burnside in particular. His live album with north mississippi all stars at bonnaroo is great.

Buddy Guy's album "Sweet Tea" is awesome as well. I also like Joe Bonamassa. Saw him at wolftrap this past year where he opened for BB King...and well, I hate to say it, but Bonamassa stole the show...BB was great, but he's in bad shape, physically, didn't play a whole lot.

I fell in love with blues one night while I was studying abroad in London. My friends were going to a club and I wasn't feeling it so this girl I knew said she would go with me to a little place next door called, simply, "Nothin' but the blues." Inside was a three-piece band (two acoustic guitars and a djembe player/singer) ripping the heaviest blues renditions of classics I've ever hear. The bar was packed and hot and the crowd was all in to it. I stayed till 3 and I think I left a different person that night. When I got back to the states, I reinvented my outlook on music. It all began with Robert Johnson and John Lee Hooker. From there I could dig any blues tracks forever. I never get tired of it. I was always in to Hendrix and the Allmans, especially the blues. But after hearing Hooker, I had to go back and fill in the holes. Muddy Waters and Clapton albums and I was blown away. Anything blues is fine by me. I am still dying to see Buddy Guy.

As for newer guys: saw Robert Cray a few months back, he's smooth. Derek Trucks is simply amazing for his age, but with that upbringing its understandable. I wouldn't consider myself as knowledgable about the blues as I would like to be. Its really a journey for me that I feel is still begining. The tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

I love the Blues.

I love John Lee Hooker. He produced so many albums, so much music.. it's impossible to collect it all. When you hear him, you can hear rock and roll being nursed along, taught.

Obviously the classics, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Lightning Hopkins, Jimmy Rodgers, and some newer guys, like Jonny Lang, Eric Bibb, Kenny wayne Shepard, they're keeping it alive.

If I had to list a group of favorite albums.. it's hard to do because of the era differences, but I'd say if you wanted to start off collecting, these are indispensable.

Chess records put out a compilation ("His Best") a few years ago that carries about 40 Muddy waters songs from 1951 thru 1964,, essential,, every great song that he ever did.

Muddy Waters- "Folk Singer".. unbelievable album. Back in the early 60s when folk music started popping, Chess put Muddy in the studio to do an "unplugged" album with a young Buddy Guy, and Willie Dixon on stand-up bass .. this album is as pure as it gets. The version of "Hello Little Schoolgirl" that is on here is the best vocal performance I think Muddy ever gave.

John Lee Hooker- It Serves You Right to Suffer.

This showed all of his remarkable range, from ass kicking foot stomping boogie to make-you-cry blues, this is one to get if you're only going to get one John Lee Hooker CD.

Howlin' wolf - "the London Howlin' Wolf Sessions"

In the early 70s Howlin wolf went to London and recorded this album with Eric Clapton, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, and Steve Winwood. This will bl;ister your ears. And thru all that star power, it's crystal clear who is the MAN in that room, and when Wolf stops things to show Clapton a better way to play "Little Red Rooster", just listening to the reverence Clapton carries will tell you if you haven't figured it out.

Jonny Lang- "Wander This World"- Best of the young set, in my opion, and this cd is terrific.

~Bang

Delta Blues are great, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker. Anything I've heard on Fat Possum records has been great, R.L. Burnside in particular. His live album with north mississippi all stars at bonnaroo is great.

Buddy Guy's album "Sweet Tea" is awesome as well. I also like Joe Bonamassa. Saw him at wolftrap this past year where he opened for BB King...and well, I hate to say it, but Bonamassa stole the show...BB was great, but he's in bad shape, physically, didn't play a whole lot.

Do you know of any pure-blues bars/venues in DC? I wanted to go to that BB King show. Wasn't it the night of opening day (Bears game)?

North Mississippi All-stars freaking rock. Great band. I saw them at bonnaroo thins year although it was just an acoustic set, it was pretty crazy. I've seen them at little clubs before though and they were thumpin'!

Do you know of any pure-blues bars/venues in DC? I wanted to go to that BB King show. Wasn't it the night of opening day (Bears game)?

North Mississippi All-stars freaking rock. Great band. I saw them at bonnaroo thins year although it was just an acoustic set, it was pretty crazy. I've seen them at little clubs before though and they were thumpin'!

Sad to say, I don't know of any blues bars/venues in DC. Someone once told me theres a "Blues alley" in G-town, but this was awhile ago and I'm not sure how true that is.

And NMA is a great, great band. It's bands like that who actually play instruments (and play them exceptionally well) that need to be on MTV and the radio so dumbass kids today know what real music is.

Robert Randolph is great, too.

Sad to say, I don't know of any blues bars/venues in DC. Someone once told me theres a "Blues alley" in G-town, but this was awhile ago and I'm not sure how true that is..

Blues Alley is actually a jazz club in Georgetown (I know misleading, right?). I've never been there but I know that is kind of like a dinner-club type deal where they have two performances a night and the food ridiculously expensive. Not really my scene.

And NMA is a great, great band. It's bands like that who actually play instruments (and play them exceptionally well) that need to be on MTV and the radio so dumbass kids today know what real music is.

Yeah. I think the key is in live music/festivals. Thats the only way to get this kind of music out there. MTV is about fashion and pop. Not music.

Robert Randolph is great, too.

Saw him open for Clapton at the Hollywood Bowl in LA. Just ridiculous what he can do with that thing. Amazing that he already made it in "Rolling Stones' top 100 guitarists of all time>"

Love the blues.

Favorites:

Skip James

Robert Johnson

Leadbelly

Robert Cray

Son House

Ray Charles

Can't go wrong there

NMA are impressive. I'd hear them on XM station from the other room, and run to see who was playing,

Dean have you been to Memphis and done the Beale St. thing?

I keep meaning to go, but it's on the other side of the state :doh:

Not yet, but going there and to Rush st. in Chicago are on my short list!

Thanks for reminding me.

I LOVE the Blues.

From Johnny Winter to John Mayall to Dr. John to John Spencer Blues Explosion.

I love it all.

iheart, what's you favorite Johnny Winter album/cd?

I love the Blues.

I love John Lee Hooker. He produced so many albums, so much music.. it's impossible to collect it all. When you hear him, you can hear rock and roll being nursed along, taught.

Obviously the classics, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Lightning Hopkins, Jimmy Rodgers, and some newer guys, like Jonny Lang, Eric Bibb, Kenny wayne Shepard, they're keeping it alive.

If I had to list a group of favorite albums.. it's hard to do because of the era differences, but I'd say if you wanted to start off collecting, these are indispensable.

Chess records put out a compilation ("His Best") a few years ago that carries about 40 Muddy waters songs from 1951 thru 1964,, essential,, every great song that he ever did.

Muddy Waters- "Folk Singer".. unbelievable album. Back in the early 60s when folk music started popping, Chess put Muddy in the studio to do an "unplugged" album with a young Buddy Guy, and Willie Dixon on stand-up bass .. this album is as pure as it gets. The version of "Hello Little Schoolgirl" that is on here is the best vocal performance I think Muddy ever gave.

John Lee Hooker- It Serves You Right to Suffer.

This showed all of his remarkable range, from ass kicking foot stomping boogie to make-you-cry blues, this is one to get if you're only going to get one John Lee Hooker CD.

Howlin' wolf - "the London Howlin' Wolf Sessions"

In the early 70s Howlin wolf went to London and recorded this album with Eric Clapton, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, and Steve Winwood. This will bl;ister your ears. And thru all that star power, it's crystal clear who is the MAN in that room, and when Wolf stops things to show Clapton a better way to play "Little Red Rooster", just listening to the reverence Clapton carries will tell you if you haven't figured it out.

Jonny Lang- "Wander This World"- Best of the young set, in my opion, and this cd is terrific.

~Bang

The loudon sessions, is great series, I got the MW and the Chuck Berry recordings. I picked up something cool last year. James Cotton- the Verve years. Early stuff, I was surprised at how upbeat it is, because when I saw JC with the Muddy Waters blues band, he just laid back playing his harp.

Buddy Guy drew a large crowd at our annual tampa bay blues fest a couple years ago. He was playing his polka dotted strat, and had some smoking hot young white boy protege. here's a link to the site, come on down for it, it's a blast.

www.tampabaybluesfest.com

http:.

Blues Alley is actually a jazz club in Georgetown (I know misleading, right?). I've never been there but I know that is kind of like a dinner-club type deal where they have two performances a night and the food ridiculously expensive. Not really my scene.

Saw him open for Clapton at the Hollywood Bowl in LA. Just ridiculous what he can do with that thing. Amazing that he already made it in "Rolling Stones' top 100 guitarists of all time>"

That sucks about Blues Alley, I thought it was a section of blues clubs. Oh well. Doesn't sound like my scene, either.

I bet seeing him with Clapton would have been a great show. He has a live cd thats absolutely insane.

Banner_for_Web-735x225.jpg

Each year for the past 11 years the Tampa Bay Blues Festival has been staged at beautiful Vinoy Waterfront Park

in downtown St. Petersburg. The park is located on the shores of the beautiful shore of Tampa Bay, with the

famous St. Petersburg Pier providing a brilliant backdrop for the festival. With its acres of plush grass and palm

trees, Vinoy Park is the perfect tropical setting for one of the world's greatest blues festivals.

The Tampa Bay Blues Festival has established itself as one of the world's preeminent blues music events, having

presented over 180 of the world's greatest blues performers. Past artists include Buddy Guy, Taj Mahal, Robert

Cray, Delbert McClinton, Little Feat, Jonny Lang, Jimmy Vaughan, and others. The festival has duly become a

destination event, with fans travelling from throughout the United States and Europe to enjoy this magnificent

celebration of music.

This year's festival is scheduled for Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, May 5, 6, & 7, 2006. Headliners include Jonny

Lang, Taj Mahal, Johnny Winter, Robben Ford, Mavis Staples, John Lee Hooker Jr., and Rod Piazza. A state of

the art P.A. system and lighting will be provided to insure the very best sound and entertainment.

Throughout the festival grounds, you will enjoy tasty food products, including seafood, barbecue, Cuban cuisine,

and other treats. Festival vendors also include arts & crafts. Premium beer & wine are also available.

In addition to enjoying the music and warm breezes of Tampa Bay, you may also wish to travel 20 minutes to the

beaches of St. Petersburg, Treasure Island, or Pass-a-Grille. Ft. DeSoto Beach in St. Petersburg was named the

world's finest beach in 2005.

tajmahal-250x216.jpg

Taj Mahal

Lang-150x150.jpg

Johnnywinter-249x179.jpg

Johnny Winter

White Hot and Blue is my favorite.

His slide work is awesome.

That's one of my favorites, I was dating an unforgetable girl when that lp came out, in fact it was right around the time that Skynyrd's plane went down.

The Harp player, on WH&B, Pat Ramsey,is a personal friend of mine and got me into Johnny's tour bus, to meet him, in Tallahassee about 7 years ago when Johnny was still fairly lucid.

My favorite is a toss up between the "johnny winter" lp and second winter.

Archived