Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What you don't you want to see/hear when watching local/small bands

gortiz

I tend to agree with code on that one.

Seems like there is a right of passage involved in covering a song and 'making it your own', so to speak... and it seems like that right involves making your own mark first. i.e. Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower, etc. etc. :2cents:

IMO, if the band is playing 90% originals, then I have no problem with them making a few covers their own, but cover bands, IMO, the whole point is to replicate the original song. I'm not so picky that I get irritated if a a single guitarist can't duplicate the original songs overdubs, I come across that problem myself. For example,my band plays "The Ocean" by Zeppelin. There are guitar overdubs and I'm the only guitarist. So I play exaclty what Jimmy Page plays on the live version found on "How the West was Won". I think I'd be dissing Jimmy by doing some crazy solo to show off or something like that.

Other songs, that have less memorable solos, that's a little different, but I always ask myself this question, is there anyone in the audience that would think I couldn't play the real solo if I don't. If the answer is Yes, then I play the real solo.

I don't think that's fair code.

Every one plays things differently and I think that accepting the fact that your version is different from the origional is a good thing.

If I were to see a band cover tool's fourty six and two with the exact same drum break I'd leave. Heck I almost left the tool concert I went to when the break was the same as on the album. Maybe I look for different things in a live show.

That being said I'd never play a tool cover. When I'm in a band I look for songs that are totally different from our band. i.e. a song with a piano and vocal turned into a song for a power trio. If the versions are very similar but the solo is different, that sucks. But if you completely change the tone and voicing of the song that is much better imo.

My personal pet peave is when the band is bad.

We just have to disagree then. If I went and saw a band cover a Tool song and they did a different beat, I'd assume they couldn't play the correct parts.

My band plays Stinkfist, 46&2, Sober and Schism and all the parts are damn close. No one will EVER duplicate something perfectly, I agree with that, but I enjoy musicianship.

Tool has earned the right to re-arrange a song if they choose to, it's their song, but I don't want to hear someone else's interpretation of a Tool song.

Just my opinion. I hear where you are coming from though.

I believe it is JAXX. I've played that venue and seen bands there and I think the sound was pretty good. But most bands there are the death-metal type that self-impose imbalance between instruments. So I guess it depends whose playing at that place.

Yes, it was a Cannibal Corpse show where the sound was really bad (death metal). It was all bass drum and no guitar and the PA was not handling it very well. I have seen many other shows there, Marky Ramone and some local bands that I don't want to name because it wasn't their fault the sound was bad.

Archived