Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Think This Through: Why does anyone here care if Monk is in the Hall of Fame?

radagast5

Seriously.

Election into the Hall of Fame is nothing more than a beauty pageant. The judges are 40-some-odd guys who have never played the game and who, as Jim Mora so succinctly put it, "...think they know, but really don't."

Most of the people who are anti-Monk on the committee have been excoriated for their opinion, either through calm, rational debate or pure white-hot, name-calling, childish acrimony.

Clearly, no one here holds these peoples' opinions in high regard at all, either because their logic is so faulty as to be laughable, or because they allow some degree of personal feelings to color their thinking.

Art Monk quite clearly has the respect of the people who *do* know: his peers. He has the respect of the entire NFL fanbase who, even if they don't think Monk was great, all seem to universally agree that Monk was a very admirable player and man. Monk has the respect of his coaches, his teammates, his opponents, and most certainly, respect from the most important person of all: himself.

So, someone here please tell me why so many Redskin fans seem to urgently need the validation of eight or nine writers whose opinions they very clearly don't respect?

It has nothing to do with the writers. It's supposed to be the highest form of honor that can be bestowed upon a former player or coach. That's the reason that Skins fans get twisted up over it; Art is being disrespected simply for his team affiliation (at least, this is how the majority of us perceive it).

I couldn't care less who is/isn't in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Does Art Monk need the HOF to validate his career? 3 Super Bowl rings and the records for most catches in a career and most consecutive games with at least one catch when he walked away? What does the HOF mean to him is the only question I would want answered.

It means nothing to me, I'll never go there. I couldn't name with any certainty more than a handful of players that are actually in the HOF. I know who ARt Monk is and what he did for the Redskins. Does it matter if some journalist living out in Los Angeles, who may or may not have actually seen him play, thinks he belongs in some museum of popular players? THere is always one player who gets voted in that I have no clue as to who he is or what he did with the respect to the NFL.

Heck, they were talking about Darrel Green in the other thread, and I already thought he was in, so much for what I know about the Hall of Fame...

I care because I revered Art Monk when he played. Does it make any difference in my life if he gets in? - No. However, it would make a big difference in his. Harry Carson said this weekend that he was stunned when he learned he made it into the Hall. He said it was the highest honor ever bestowed upon him. Art deserves to feel the same and as a fan of his I'd like to see it happen.

We're fans. Why do we care about any of this stuff?

None of this REALLY matters. Wins, losses, superbowls ... it's all just a diversion anyway. We care because we choose to care.

And if I care about the Redskins you better damn well believe I want Monk in the Hall of Fame.

Because the Hall is there to honor the GREATEST players of the game, so having thought this through. I'm damn well pissed off that ART MONK is not in the Hall because some sports writers don't want to give him his dues, because he didn't give them interviews. :mad:

Radagast brings up a good point. Does Monk deserve it? Absolutely. But seriously, what do we care what a bunch of unknowledgeable sycophants who never played the game think?

Also, does Monk even care? I'd be curious to know this. Yeah, I'm sure he'd be honored and would like to have his career recognized as what it was; Hall of Fame material, but seriously, does Art Monk give a rats ass what these schmucks think? He is a family man who played on the greatest sporting team in history with three championships to show for it and countless memories. I'd have a hard time believing this is prioridad numero uno for Monk.

I am a little peeved that these guys are so blatant with their anti-Redskins agenda by refusing to give the man what he deserves, but the HOF is kind of like the Pro Bowl to me and I don't particularly care about the Pro Bowl either. I'm actually glad when Redskins don't make the pro bowl as it's just one less game to blow out a knee.

Art Monk will always be a Hall of Famer in my book, regardless of what the likes of Peter Queen and his ilk think.

I can see both sides of this argument and I can agree with both, as well. I think the reason that we so desperately want to see number 81 in the hall is because we consider ourselves a part of those glory days of the 1980's and early 90's. We put a lot of heart and soul into cheering for guys like Riggins, Darrell Green and Art Monk. Really, I guess, even the ones that may not be in that category. My point is, however, that when the HOF refuses to enshrine Art Monk or Russ Grimm, it's as if they're also rejecting us, too!

Think about it...I am sure we all feel this way...those of us old enough to remember and appreciate those incredible teams...we put a lot of passion, emotion and love into pulling for our Redskins. I was just a kid, but when the Skins lost a game, big or little, it always killed me. And now that Mr. Monk has been up for enshrinement like five times and he's still not in, we take it as a personal rejection.

So yeah, it does makes me mad because I want to see him get it, but keep one thing in mind, Redskin Nation, our team has one thing they can never take away...three Lombardi trophies sitting in Ashburn, Virginia. And the last time I checked, those Gibbs coached teams were always more about team than individual. I know it's from a different era, but what did George Allen say about 40 men together can't lose. Whether or not Art Monk ever gets into the hall of fame or not, we are always going to respect him for his play on and off the field.

HOF voting is a joke and many deserving players won't make it because most of the sportswriters are idiots with short memories. Living Hall of Famers should be voting as well as current and former Head Coaches.

As much as I hate seeing ANY Cowboy get in, the one guy who was way overdue was Rayfield Wright because Offensive Linemen continue to get overlooked. Gary Zimmerman is another guy who didn't make it that belongs. Russ Grimm belongs. Bruce Matthews is eligible next year, I think, and he definitely belongs.

There is one other overlooked Redskins player who, despite playing on many bad teams with less than stellar defenses, was voted to the Pro Bowl as a LB nine times. NINE! Unfortunately, most of the current batch of idiot voters never saw Chris Hanburger play. Let's hope either the voting procedures are overhauled or the Veteran's Committee gets a clue.

Until a player like Art Monk gets in to the Hall of Fame, it will remain a joke with no credibility. Monk will not be made better by being a part of the HOF, but I cannot say that statement goes both ways. A small note to the morons who continue to diminish this honor by holding out truely deserving players like Russ Grimm and Art Monk, the Hall of Fame is for the fans, not your own personal members only club.

As a World Champion Washington Redskin and someone who represented MY team with dignity and class for many years, Art is part of MY family and I love him. Just because he no long plays for the 'Skins doesn't mean that I can't root for him to receive and honor that will bring happiness and fulfillment. That is the only reason I want him to make it, because otherwise the HOF and its selectors and total jokes. The HOF itself is a travesty, but being enshrined will make Art happy, so I want to see it happen.

because he deserves it.

Remember what the Hall of Fame is: the opinion of a bunch of writers.

Once we've dismissed the anti-Monk electors' opinion as worthless, what then is the point of needing their approval?

That's essentially saying that Monk deserves the approval of 8-10 guys who are idiots.

It has nothing to do with the writers. It's supposed to be the highest form of honor that can be bestowed upon a former player or coach. That's the reason that Skins fans get twisted up over it; Art is being disrespected simply for his team affiliation (at least, this is how the majority of us perceive it).

Oh it has *everything* to do with the writers because it is the writers, and only the writers, who decide who is elected.

When you boil it down, Monk is being "disrespected" by a small group (8-10) of writers whose opinion is implicitly worth zilch. Which means my question still stands: why care about being validated by a few writers whose opinions are deemed worthless?

RESPECT......Art Monk deserves it .This achievement is about his career accomplishments. not our want to be validated!

This is exactly why I said "Think This Through"

People are demanding that 8-10 writers respect Monk, even though everyone here has almost universally declared that these writers are biased idiots. I would think that *not* having the respect of an idiot would be a good thing.

We're fans. Why do we care about any of this stuff?

None of this REALLY matters. Wins, losses, superbowls ... it's all just a diversion anyway. We care because we choose to care.

And if I care about the Redskins you better damn well believe I want Monk in the Hall of Fame.

Of course we all subconsciously choose to care about this stuff, and of course it really doesn't matter much.

However, to say that you want Monk in the Hall of Fame is to say that you want 40 idiots to respect Monk. If his peers, coaches, teammates, and Monk himself show the respect to Art that we all think he deserves, what the heck do we care about a few writers' opinions who we disdain anyway? There's such deep irony here and no one seems to recognize it, or perhaps I'm just not articulating it well enough.

As a World Champion Washington Redskin and someone who represented MY team with dignity and class for many years, Art is part of MY family and I love him. Just because he no long plays for the 'Skins doesn't mean that I can't root for him to receive and honor that will bring happiness and fulfillment. That is the only reason I want him to make it, because otherwise the HOF and its selectors and total jokes. The HOF itself is a travesty, but being enshrined will make Art happy, so I want to see it happen.

Not to be snide, but what makes you think that Art wants the approval of these writers?

Given what scant little I know of Art, I think that what 40 journalists who never played the game think of him registers almost zero on Art's happiness and fulfillment scale.

Archived