ESPN Insider on DE's Vanden Bosch/Abraham

Oldskool

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

John Abraham

Jets

Franchise tag

Franchise tag for Abraham?

<Feb. 7> It appears the Jets will slap the franchise tag on Abraham for a second consecutive season, The Newark Star-Ledger is reporting. Jets GM Terry Bradway said last August that the team would sign Abraham to a long-term deal if the player was healthy and productive in 2005, but so far there have been no talks.

Abraham played in nearly 85 percent of the defensive snaps last season. He had 70 tackles, 10½ sacks, six forced fumbles (all on quarterback strips) and one fumble recovery. The franchise tender for a defensive end will be $8.3 million in 2006. The amount is determined by the average salary of the five highest-paid players at the position.

If the Jets do decide to franchise Abraham, they might look to trade him. One possibility, according to The Star-Ledger, could be a deal with San Diego for quarterback Philip Rivers. New Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was Rivers' quarterback coach the last two seasons.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Kyle Vanden Bosch

Titans

Long-term deal

Vanden Bosch staying put?

<Feb. 7> The Titans and Vanden Bosch's agent continue to discuss an extension for the free-agent defensive end, but the two sides are not close to striking a deal.

"We're continuing to talk, which is positive, but not a lot has changed," Titans GM Floyd Reese told the Nashville City Paper. "I don't know what their ultimate goal is [regarding free agency.]"

After four injury-riddled seasons in Arizona, Vanden Bosch enjoyed a banner year with the Titans in 2005. He collected 12½ sacks and was selected to his first Pro Bowl.

I wouldn't mind. We need a team that will fit with what we have going here and I'm not sure if the high end free agents fit that mold. We can address receiver in free agency and then reall concentrate our efforts on usiong our picks to strengthen our depth on both sides of the line. If we end up with an extra pick for Ramsey I would be thrilled if we cam out of Day 1 of the draft with a defensive lineman and one offensive lineman.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

John Abraham

Jets

Franchise tag

<Feb. 7> It appears the Jets will slap the franchise tag on Abraham for a second consecutive season, The Newark Star-Ledger is reporting. Jets GM Terry Bradway said last August that the team would sign Abraham to a long-term deal if the player was healthy and productive in 2005, but so far there have been no talks.

Abraham played in nearly 85 percent of the defensive snaps last season. He had 70 tackles, 10½ sacks, six forced fumbles (all on quarterback strips) and one fumble recovery. The franchise tender for a defensive end will be $8.3 million in 2006. The amount is determined by the average salary of the five highest-paid players at the position.

If the Jets do decide to franchise Abraham, they might look to trade him. One possibility, according to The Star-Ledger, could be a deal with San Diego for quarterback Philip Rivers. New Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was Rivers' quarterback coach the last two seasons.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Kyle Vanden Bosch

Titans

Long-term deal

Vanden Bosch staying put?

<Feb. 7> The Titans and Vanden Bosch's agent continue to discuss an extension for the free-agent defensive end, but the two sides are not close to striking a deal.

"We're continuing to talk, which is positive, but not a lot has changed," Titans GM Floyd Reese told the Nashville City Paper. "I don't know what their ultimate goal is [regarding free agency.]"

After four injury-riddled seasons in Arizona, Vanden Bosch enjoyed a banner year with the Titans in 2005. He collected 12½ sacks and was selected to his first Pro Bowl.

OS -

forgive my ignorance but why, in your sig, do you state JJ needs to be in the B&G next year but sport a pic of another seahawk player?

two seperate issues...

1. look at the color of the ref's uni.

2. We need Jurevicius :D

okay, i think im following. the refs uni, black and gold, as in steelers...as in the hawks get owned by the zebras?

well JJ wont fair any better here when it comes to bad calls, maybe that was your point? if you are gonna get screwed by the refs you may as well be in the B&G?

While many of us feel Abraham or Vanden Bosch or some other FA DE is the way to go, others prefer a FA WR and taking a DE with our 2nd round pick in the draft. I don't know whether I rate a WR or DE as a bigger need in FA but there's one thing I do know. If our coaching staff covets a certain FA DE or WR you can bet Redskins One will be fueled up and flight-planned the day before the FA signing period starts.

okay, i think im following. the refs uni, black and gold, as in steelers...as in the hawks get owned by the zebras?

well JJ wont fair any better here when it comes to bad calls, maybe that was your point? if you are gonna get screwed by the refs you may as well be in the B&G?

JJ being here has nothing to do with Zebras, Steelers or any of that.

Simply Jurevicius is the possession receiver that we are lacking to take the offense to the next level.

I would MUCH prefer a free agent WR than a big name DE. Draft a young guy at DE. Wouldnt mind some more LB depth anyway with everything thats going on if the guy doesnt pan out at DE.

As for Abraham....eh, no worries. I dont want anything to do with Vanden Bosch....1 out of 5 years healthy? FORGET IT. I dont care if he had 30 sacks last year. He's no good to us on the bench on crutches. I bet we could snag Darren Howard or another decent free agent for less than either of those guys. Or just draft one, thats my preference.

Looks like the Jets will Franchise John Abraham. That would force the redskins to trade something for him. here:

<Feb. 7> It appears the Jets will slap the franchise tag on Abraham for a second consecutive season, The Newark Star-Ledger is reporting. Jets GM Terry Bradway said last August that the team would sign Abraham to a long-term deal if the player was healthy and productive in 2005, but so far there have been no talks. Abraham played in nearly 85 percent of the defensive snaps last season. He had 70 tackles, 10½ sacks, six forced fumbles (all on quarterback strips) and one fumble recovery. The franchise tender for a defensive end will be $8.3 million in 2006. The amount is determined by the average salary of the five highest-paid players at the position.

Wouldn't that be funny if Rivers winds up in New York to play on the "other" team opposite Eli Manning?

It would be cool if they played each other more often. But, yeah, that's an interesting point.

Aslo of note with that move is that Rivers would be reunited with Jerricho Cotchery, who was getting a lot more PT towards the end of their season.

Archived