Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How was Carolina's offense so succesful?

mamiskin212689

Does anyone else think that our offense should look more like carolinas due to the fact they have one good reciever and thats it. Its just a thought and i haven't really looked in to it, but their offense is pass heavy, seemingly always going to Smtih, what do they do that we dont do?

They only went one game further than we did... ;)

Carolina plays a more wide opened version of the same offense than we have. As Montanaskins pointed out, they will take a mistake by Delhomme every once in a while and they figure it will outweigh their sucess that they have with him throwing deep to Smith and to Proehl.

Does anyone else think that our offense should look more like carolinas due to the fact they have one good reciever and thats it. Its just a thought and i haven't really looked in to it, but their offense is pass heavy, seemingly always going to Smtih, what do they do that we dont do?

Probably because they have a QB that can fit the ball into tight spaces. If a player isn't wide open Brunell won't throw the ball...and since Moss was the only guy capable of getting open and was being double teamed and Brunell won't throw into double coverage then the Skins' O was screwed...

Which is why I was screaming for Ramsey at the end of the first half of the Eagles game and didn't even watch the second half of the Seattle game when Brunell trotted out to start the second half...

Our offense was ranked 11th in the league this year. Carolina was ranked 22nd. We actually look pretty similar on paper though, except that we gained a lot more rushing yards:

Washington 330.6yds/gm (136.4rush, 194.1pass) 22.4 ppg 5.1yds/play 42.2%thirddown 31:33top

Carolina 309.4yds/gm (104.9rush, 204.4pass) 24.4 ppg 5.1yds/play 42.2%thirddown 30:48top

The difference in the playoffs was that they were healthy (until they played the Seahawks)

Our offense was ranked 11th in the league this year. Carolina was ranked 22nd. We actually look pretty similar on paper though, except that we gained a lot more rushing yards:

Washington 330.6yds/gm (136.4rush, 194.1pass) 22.4 ppg 5.1yds/play 42.2%thirddown 31:33top

Carolina 309.4yds/gm (104.9rush, 204.4pass) 24.4 ppg 5.1yds/play 42.2%thirddown 30:48top

The difference in the playoffs was that they were healthy (until they played the Seahawks)

You also have to remember that they also had an aging Stephen Davis and an oft injured Foster. In 2004 with both of these guys healthy they were 13th.

You also have to remember that they also had an aging Stephen Davis and an oft injured Foster. In 2004 with both of these guys healthy they were 13th.

Davis wasnt healthy in 2004, and I know Steve Smith didnt play at all that season. Got hurt in the first game or the first pre season game...something like that. :dallasuck

Davis wasnt healthy in 2004, and I know Steve Smith didnt play at all that season. Got hurt in the first game or the first pre season game...something like that. :dallasuck

youre right. he played 2 games. :doh:

2004 was the year that both Smith and Colbert came into their own and Colbert disapeared this last year.

Carolina's offense wasn't much better if at all than the Skins. Carolina played only 7 teams that were over .500. The Skins played 10. Even with that Carolina scored only one more touchdown than the Skins. For the year the Skins ended up ranked #11 in total offense while Carolina ranked #22. Carolina scored more points (9 more FGs) because they were #1 in the NFC in turnover margin at +16.

I'm sorry for busting your balls BUT KEARY COLBERT NEVER CAME INTO HIS OWN. Where do you get your information, your madden franchise?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492910

In 2004, 754 yards and 4 TDs as a rookie in a run first offense isnt bad. Thats what Im talking about.

Now in 2005, he plays in 1 more game than he did as a rookie, has 282 yards and 2 TD's.

Any other questions or are you arguing to argue?

I wonder if Brunell is really hurt more seriously than what was lead on. He really did play like poo after the Giants game. I guess we would have heard something by now if he was injured... So what' the excuse?

As for Carolina's offense, I don't think you can compare it by numbers even though it was quite similar to ours. Another poster put it so well that I will paraphrase what he said. They let Jake throw the ball all over the place and give him more opportunities to take chances down the field risking a pick. I think that with the great defense we have we should do the same thing. I guess we didn't because early in the season we weren't getting turnovers.

Carolina played at Seattle the week after we stunk it up. Carolina lost 34-14, we lost 20-10. Carolina (Delhomme) was throwing the ball agressively and had many picks. We played conservative but couldn't get any first downs. Pick your poison. I guess we had a chance if we pulled off a couple of big plays, though again that requires some agressive plays.

I truley believe with a solid #2 WR (McCardell) and a healthy OL, it would have been a close game agianst Seattle. Couple that with home field advantage and who knows.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492910

In 2004, 754 yards and 4 TDs as a rookie in a run first offense isnt bad. Thats what Im talking about.

Now in 2005, he plays in 1 more game than he did as a rookie, has 282 yards and 2 TD's.

Any other questions or are you arguing to argue?

Thanks for in the information(no sarcasm!) I really didnt know he did that well his rookie year. I'm very suprised, thanks for letting me know the facts(I guess I should have checked) instead of trying to call me a moron or something.:cheers:

The Panthers do not have a good offense. Not at all.

Their running game was non-existant in most of their games.

Outside of Smith their WRs were terrible. I believe that DeShaun Foster was their #2 WR (as far as catches).

And lets not forget that division and weak overall schedule.

Archived