Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cartoons and Islamic Imperialism..

Air Force Cane

"More specifically, will Westerners accede to a double standard by which Muslims are free to insult Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism, and Buddhism, while Muhammad, Islam, and Muslims enjoy immunity from insults? Muslims routinely publish cartoons far more offensive than the Danish ones. Are they entitled to dish it out while being insulated from similar indignities?"

What a great piece!

http://www.nysun.com/article/27151?page_no=1

Awesome article. Either the West stands up for our mores and traditions, or we submit to the Islamist dictates. That is the choice..

Excellent peace. The Islamic world will continue to look at the West as the source of all their problems as long as they can.

The only reason US apologized is because we are in Iraq.

The position our leaders put us in is freaking ridiculous, having to apologize for this nonsense.

godd article.

* America: "Inciting religious or ethnic hatred in this manner is not acceptable,"a State Department press officer, Janelle Hironimus, said. :doh::doh:

What a way to condone/re-inforce, take responsibility for agreegous acts

commited in retaliation to a cartoon.

* America: "Inciting religious or ethnic hatred in this manner is not acceptable,"a State Department press officer, Janelle Hironimus, said.

The point is valid, and I don't take this as an appolgy. Regardless, the US has nothing to appologize for. American editors didn't run the cartoons, or rerun them.

I think the US military has been extremely sensitive towards religious beliefs. I don't like Bush or this war, but the military is fighting a tough battle, one that would be over if they had just gone in there with no regard for the people or their values.

Peoples who would stay free must stand unreservedly with Denmark.

I couldn't disagree more.

I was watching a show yesterday, and a guy brought up a good point. The West does not respect the Arabs. Its the same way that they treated Africans, Latins, NativeAmericans and at one time Irish, and Jews. They do not respect their culture. I like this piece. It negelected to point out that this same paper did not print dipictions of Jesus Christ because it was afraid that it would incite retaliation from it's christian base. It's a double standard....or just one standard the one that favors Europeans, and the majority of this country. The roits are just like the one in LA in my opinion. The cartoons is inginted the riots, but the anger about the relationship between the West and the Middle East is at the heart of the issue.

While I would have rather seen the US govt respond that "freedom of speech, mean tolerance of views opposing your own. And violence based on a cartoon makes you an animal". The more appropriate response would have been SILENCE.

Our State Dept helped the nutjobs.

Good article and I think a lot of people felt this way from the start. Who the hell decided that a bunch of pissy bigots in the middle east get to decide what freedoms the rest of the world is allowed. I'd like to see nations start to freeze assets from the offending countries each time an embassy is burned. I bet the ruling class would allow this to go on when their bank accounts started vanishing.

It negelected to point out that this same paper did not print dipictions of Jesus Christ because it was afraid that it would incite retaliation from it's christian base. It's a double standard....

If this happened than indeed it is a double standard. I agree that the real anger behind these protests is the relationship between Western and Muslim world. This is different from LA riots, however. It is not happening in one country... and it would not stop if we "only respected them more."

It is also important to remember that this anger is being incited by local leaders. People do not just randomly organize.

I was watching a show yesterday, and a guy brought up a good point. The West does not respect the Arabs. Its the same way that they treated Africans, Latins, NativeAmericans and at one time Irish, and Jews. They do not respect their culture. I like this piece. It negelected to point out that this same paper did not print dipictions of Jesus Christ because it was afraid that it would incite retaliation from it's christian base. It's a double standard....or just one standard the one that favors Europeans, and the majority of this country. The roits are just like the one in LA in my opinion. The cartoons is inginted the riots, but the anger about the relationship between the West and the Middle East is at the heart of the issue.

America without question is the most tolerant country in the world. Are we perfect? No. But there is no other country in the world, period, that is more easily accepting of others cultures and beliefs. Who else gives more, forgives more and accepts others more readily?

Just curious if anyone knows... in the middle east or in Muslim countries did their newscasts or newspapers show the offending image or just describe it because if they showed the offending image aren't they just as guilty as anyone in the west? Wouldn't that be a form of hypocrisy?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/006/690seird.asp?pg=1

Great article on the Damascus/Teheran/Hizbollah/Hamas axis and how they are using the Danish cartoons for their own strategic purposes..

The Arab and Muslim world has been doing the same with the Palestinians for decades. Guess they decided to hop on to something else... :laugh:

burgold- in fact there HAVE been hundreds of Islamic depictions of Mohommed over the centuries. any google search shows that.

in fact, the US Supreme Court has a nice statue of Mohammed holding the Koran!

I doubt the Arab media shows the cartoons, but the terrorists in the Islamic world were passing them around by email along with fake pictures to add to the incitement. that is why it has taken four months from the time of publication to the present riots.

and the greater hypocrisy is that Arab/Islamic media routinely portrays jews as pigs and monkeys, or as nazis. they blow up Budhist statues, slash the throats of christian women in indonesia, and chop off the heads of christians throughout the middle east. but that is okay as long as you don't say anything about Mohammed! :rolleyes:

Yeah, figured as much. The graven issue thing is being abused here I think. I was taught not to worship graven images either. What I was taught was that no image is sacred... you can create an image of God or Heaven, but it's simply your representation of something holy, not something holy in and of itself. The reaction to this piece of paper actually makes them idolic worshippers in a way. The paper, the drawing, the cartoon has no relationship to God or Muhammad other than the artist was created by God (if you believe that) however, by investing religious import to the drawing they are going against their own beliefs.

At least that's how I interpret it. I suppose their religion is somewhat different and the creation of graven images for any reasons is impermissable, but then, as Air Force Cane said, these folks need to look in a mirror before casting stones or setting things afire.

Define irony.........how about the fact that Russia "gets it" and U.S. doesn't.

http://upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060207-072431-9805r

MOSCOW, Feb. 7 (UPI) -- A Moscow museum has announced it will exhibit the entire series of cartoons of Mohammed that have caused riots throughout the Islamic world.

Yury Samodurov, director of the Sakharov Museum and Public Center, said on Russian television that the center was ready to organize a public exhibition of the cartoons satirizing the founder of Islam that originally were published in a Danish newspaper, Pravda.ru reported Monday.

"We must show the whole world that Russia goes along with Europe, that the freedom of expression is much more important for us than the dogmas of religious fanatics," Samodurov said.

...click link for full article

There is no question that Americans tend to be ethnocentric. The problem here is that respect is something earned. Even if one is willing to look past the stuff like honor killings and teaching of hatred in school - how CAN the west respect the eagerness to do violence against us at the slightest insult?

Many Americans do not agree with the way China operates or Indians bizarre cultural caste system but they are willing to, for the most part, look past it because we see a people willing to work past it. They no doubt take shots at how we do things and vice versa but we are willing to tolerate each other. This is not the case in the middle east, we are told to be respectful of them but there is no willingness to reciprocate.

Also I disagree with your statement that cartoons instigated the riots only because it implies that such a reaction is reasonable. It is not. Violence directed at innocent people that had nothing to do with the cartoon other then the fact they from the dreaded west is unreasonable and intolerable. This looks to me like unchecked bigotry run wild. Something like the KKK running a nation and demanding respect while burning down churches.

great post Destino..have to agree with all you said.

and yes, the Muslim world is filled with hypocrisy. There are riots over a cartoon or the Koran being mistreated in Guantanomo-

but when Muslims blow up mosques of other muslims (sunnis taking on the shias in Iraq) there is nothing heard from the street. blowing up and murdering innocent civilians "in the name of Islam" is fine, but put up a cartoon and all h@ll breaks loose.

that makes sense.

I heard that the Iranian Parliament passed a resolution changing the name of their favorite pastry from "Danish" to "Infidel Tart".

hahahahaha :notworthy

Wow how about them Russians? I am pleasanty surprised at such decision.

"And here we have historic cartoons published by a Dannish newspaper. These incited riots in multiple Muslim countries."

No disrespect - just displaying cartoons that have historical value. Appologize or not? Who said these are the only two options?

We so often get stuck reacting to things, we do not realize how many options we actually have.

And yes it does suck that our decision to go to Iraq now limits our options as to how we handle this.

America without question is the most tolerant country in the world. Are we perfect? No. But there is no other country in the world, period, that is more easily accepting of others cultures and beliefs. Who else gives more, forgives more and accepts others more readily?

Have you traveled much? I dont mean to get off topic but I would argue that we are not the most tolerant country, although we have done many good things and we are in a position to give and forgive more than anybody else.

Have you traveled much? I dont mean to get off topic but I would argue that we are not the most tolerant country, although we have done many good things and we are in a position to give and forgive more than anybody else.

This could be a very interesting discussion. In my experience other countries are more accepting of differences between human beings. America, on the other hand, is stuck in the "everybody is the same" political correctness mode.

People ARE different. The key is acknowledging and respecting those differences, not judging based on them. America is perhaps the most tolerant country in a "judge but tolerate" sense, but not in a "acknowledge differences but do not judge" way... if that makes any sense.

This could be a very interesting discussion. In my experience other countries are more accepting of differences between human beings. America, on the other hand, is stuck in the "everybody is the same" political correctness mode.

Yes. And this probably deserves its own thread at some point.

People ARE different. The key is acknowledging and respecting those differences, not judging based on them. America is perhaps the most tolerant country in a "judge but tolerate" sense, but not in a "acknowledge differences but do not judge" way... if that makes any sense.

I tend to agree. We love to think of ourselves as the most free and tolerant country in the world without exception. However, we very well might be THE most judgmental country in the world, without exception. Its great to be tolerant, but its even greater to be free of a judgmental mind. One without the other is like getting a ticket to the game but being denied a seat.

Archived