Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

.0033814159408739 13424255099428845 %

nelms

That number is the percent of individuals that the Bush administration has wiretapped since 9/11. I arrived at this figure by using the current U.S. population (295,734,134) and the number of individuals wiretapped (10,000 - this figure is actually higher than the estimates I have seen, but it's a nice, round figure to use). Any math majors are welcome to check my math, I don't trust my math skills.

The odds of getting struck by lightning is 10 times greater. This is a targeted, focused effort to protect us from the bad guys. These are not random sweeps of innocent Americans. I really don't think the Bush administration is interested in eavesdropping on how Bob and Sally's date went on Friday night. So relax and let our government do what is necessary to protect us.

That number is the percent of individuals that the Bush administration has wiretapped since 9/11. I arrived at this figure by using the current U.S. population (295,734,134) and the number of individuals wiretapped (10,000 - this figure is actually higher than the estimates I have seen, but it's a nice, round figure to use). Any math majors are welcome to check my math, I don't trust my math skills.

The odds of getting struck by lightning is 10 times greater. This is a targeted, focused effort to protect us from the bad guys. These are not random sweeps of innocent Americans. I really don't think the Bush administration is interested in eavesdropping on how Bob and Sally's date went on Friday night. So relax and let our government do what is necessary to protect us.

The only major flaw i see in that method is that you are counting the entire population as targets - that includes infants, invalids, people in jail, the president himself, etc.

Also, where did you get the 10,000? Link?

THis is where I get my numbers from:

For a couple years I've been blaming it on lack of sleep, not enough sunshine, too much pressure from my job, an earwax build-up, low blood pressure or anything else I could think of.

But now I found out the real reason. I'm tired because I'm overworked.

Here's why:

The population of this country is 273 million.

140 million are retired.

That leaves 133 million to do the work.

There are 85 million in school.

Which leaves 48 million to do the work.

Of this there are 29 million employed by the federal government.

Leaving 19 million to do the work.

2.8 million are in the armed forces preoccupied with finding Osama BinLaden.

Which leaves 16.2 million to do the work.

Take from the total the 14,800,000 people who work for state and city governments.

And that leaves 1.4 million to do the work.

At any given time there are 188,000 people in hospitals.

Leaving 1,212,000 to do the work.

Now, there are 1,211,998 people in prisons.

That leaves just two people to do the work.

You and me.

And there you are sitting on your @ss, at your computer, reading jokes.

Nice, real nice.

Here is my question.

Say that you do find an Al-Queda person in the U.S., planning something awful. You catch him....and when you get to court, they deem the taps unlawful.

Then what?

Without the secret court on your side, if this guy gets freed, who's it on?

good point except the motion to supress for national security :doh:

The only major flaw i see in that method is that you are counting the entire population as targets - that includes infants, invalids, people in jail, the president himself, etc.

Also, where did you get the 10,000? Link?

Good point, but let's assume for argument's sake that it is "only" 200,000,000 potential targets. That's still a tiny, tiny percent of individuals that are wiretapped.

As far as the 10,000 figure, I used a "rounded" number because everything I have read so far has indicated the estimate to be around 6,000.

Here is my question.

Say that you do find an Al-Queda person in the U.S., planning something awful. You catch him....and when you get to court, they deem the taps unlawful.

Then what?

Here is my question? what's the deal with the hammer and sickle? Just curious.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but prior to and during WWII EVERY piece of mail that left this country, and every piece of mail that entered this country was opened and read in an attempt to foil German spies.

It was done with the full knowledge and cooperation of Franklin Roosevelt.

Source: "A Man Called Intrepid, The Secret War" William Stevenson. Copyright 1976. Library of Congress ID: 75-30730.

Here is my question.

Then what?

Then that person will be watched VERY closely. Something that wouldn't have happened without the wiretapping.

Relax, chances of YOU being illegally wiretapped are low!!

Who cares if John killed Smith! Chances of John killing YOU are pretty low. Just let him go.

Watched very closely? Then we wait until he/she kills somebody...and THEN we nab 'em!

Close enough I guess.

Watched closely enough to pick that person up on something as minor as a busted taillight on their 1982 oldsmobile. THEN they do what needs to be done.

Stupid Pennsylvania snow.

I'm new here but I'm not sure why it matters if it is a low percentage or not. Moreover, most folks don't worry about Bush listening to Bob and Sally's date. A more realistic fear is having Bush listen in on supposed "enemies" of the administration -- not just the country.

Problem with this is if you think it is wrong to wiretap without a warrant the numbers don't matter. 1 person losing their privacy and rights is not right. If you believe that it is warranted and justifiable, then the percentage also doesn't matter. I would also argue that we have no idea how big or small the real number of those wiretapped or checked out really is. For the record, I don't think the public should know the names and numbers of all those being checked out. Simultaneously, I do not like the trend of our rights and liberties and the constitution being marginalized for any reason. I understand why the need might exist or why people say it might exist, but I think it is the wrong road to walk down.

I'm new here but I'm not sure why it matters if it is a low percentage or not. Moreover, most folks don't worry about Bush listening to Bob and Sally's date. A more realistic fear is having Bush listen in on supposed "enemies" of the administration -- not just the country.

The low percentage does matter because the ones that are protesting are saying that Americans' rights are being trampled on. It is being completely dishonest to say that. You and I, my family and friends, your family and friends and no one that you or I will ever know is affected by this national security program.

As far as Bush listening in on supposed "enemies", they document all the wiretapping that they do. This wiretapping program was disclosed to key members of Congress (both Republicans and Democrats) BEFORE this was illegally leaked to the public. That person(s) needs to be identified and criminally prosecuted.

The low percentage does matter because the ones that are protesting are saying that Americans' rights are being trampled on..

Americans' rights, yes!

It is being completely dishonest to say that.

how so?

You and I, my family and friends, your family and friends and no one that you or I will ever know is affected by this national security program.

Repeat: AMERICANS' RIGHTS. Not "my friends and family's rights"

As far as Bush listening in on supposed "enemies", they document all the wiretapping that they do. This wiretapping program was disclosed to key members of Congress (both Republicans and Democrats) BEFORE this was illegally leaked to the public. That person(s) needs to be identified and criminally prosecuted.

If everythings cosher than you wouldn't mind an investigation.

While we are at it, would you mind suggesting why Republicans did not want Gonzales to testify under oath?

Hmmmmm, I don't get it.

Considering that we had folks try to pass laws that only related to a single person last year with Terri Shiavo.

Rights are Rights. You take away one American's, then something is wrong.

As far as documenting, who's checking these Docs? and who can prove they are legit? what do they do with the tapes of people they tap, who turn out to be clean?

Archived