Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wilbon comment about D. Green in the chathouse

ARSexton

Again this may have already been mentioned but it did make me smile

Scottsdale, Ariz.: What will the reason/excuse be when D. Green doesn't get voted into the HOF?

Michael Wilbon: D. Green is going into the HOF on the very first vote, period.

Aikman made it. Why not Darrell? Not that I have any appreciation for the hall of fame anymore...

hopefully the biased media can overlook their hatred for the skins and vote DG in. Dont know though especially after the tongue lashing they have been getting as of late for art monk. we'll just have to see, but i know if he doesnt get in first ballot than i too will protest even more against the farse that they call the HOF.

I garantee Green gets screwed like grimm. Did anyone see the all Superbowl team in the Post. The only Redskin that made it was Jacoby. Randy Cross over Grimm, Csonka over Riggo, PLEASE. No Gary Clark, no Darryl Green. The public has it out for Danny Boy.

Not nearly as much controversy with Green getting in as Monk, imho. I'm pretty sure he goes in first time. I would almost say not even some of the HOF voters could be that silly, but then again....... He goes in despite that.

Green was only a good corner for a few seasons, and even then he wasn't a shut-down corner like Sanders or Woodsen. Rarely did offenses scheme around him like they did those other guys. He only averaged a little over 2 INTs a season and he wasn't much of a tackler. Sure, he played a long time and he's a good guy, but it's not the Hall of Good Guys, it's the Hall of Fame. I seriously doubt he has a chance.

King can not use the "Green did not play a big role in the Super Bowl" line because he did have an int in Super Bowl XXVI. He did have a few signature tackles, running down Great NFL RBs like Tony Dorsett, Eric Dickerson and running down Germaine Crowell at the age of 39. And of course the punt return for TD in Chicago during the 1987 NFC Divisional Playoffs.

darrellgreen.jpg

Again this may have already been mentioned but it did make me smile

Scottsdale, Ariz.: What will the reason/excuse be when D. Green doesn't get voted into the HOF?

Michael Wilbon: D. Green is going into the HOF on the very first vote, period.

This quote sounds good, but we haven't heard from Peter King yet.

Green was only a good corner for a few seasons, and even then he wasn't a shut-down corner like Sanders or Woodsen. Rarely did offenses scheme around him like they did those other guys. He only averaged a little over 2 INTs a season and he wasn't much of a tackler. Sure, he played a long time and he's a good guy, but it's not the Hall of Good Guys, it's the Hall of Fame. I seriously doubt he has a chance.

I can't tell whether you are being serious or sarcastic. Darrell was an excellent cover corner, but not the INT machine or playmaker that Sanders was (excepting the notable return against Chicago in the playoffs). Green was often given the assignment of covering the other teams #1 WR all over the field so scheming to only throw to one side wouldn't have been effective. Ask Jerry Rice how good DG was.

I can't tell whether you are being serious or sarcastic. Darrell was an excellent cover corner, but not the INT machine or playmaker that Sanders was (excepting the notable return against Chicago in the playoffs). Green was often given the assignment of covering the other teams #1 WR all over the field so scheming to only throw to one side wouldn't have been effective. Ask Jerry Rice how good DG was.

Sarcastic. See above. :)

I just did my best Peter King impersonation. If someone can fabricate a reason to keep Monk out he can do it for Green too. I wouldn't put it past any of them.

That's a fairly decent impersonation. And I'm not sure whether I'd be proud of that or not... :D

Problem with the faux-King rant above is that it holds significantly less water than the Monk diatribe. (And, yeah, I know it was all said in jest...)

1. There's really no corner in history other than Deion whose cover skills are mentioned with more reverence than DG. Woodson is a HOF, but for other reasons (real ball hawk, tons of TD returns, long and excellent stint at safety, etc.) Woodson's cover skills were never as good as Green's.

2. (This is the big reason why King would never make this argument) Parcells himself has gone on record on many occasions, and Phil Simms has reiterated the story that they had a rule for years *never* to throw at Darrell Green. Since King covered the Giants back then, he'd know full well that the Giants avoided DG like the plague.

3. DG contributed too much to two SB rings, had tons of returns for TDs, and has a list of hallmark plays as long as my arm (Dorsett, Dickinson, Viking pass defended, Bears punt return, etc.)

I said this before as have many others, Darrell Green is a 100% mortal lock for the HOF.

2. (This is the big reason why King would never make this argument) Parcells himself has gone on record on many occasions, and Phil Simms has reiterated the story that they had a rule for years *never* to throw at Darrell Green. Since King covered the Giants back then, he'd know full well that the Giants avoided DG like the plague.

Parcells also went on record that Art Monk was a shoe-in for the HOF. The difference is that Green gave good interviews and made reporters' (the people who vote for the HOF) jobs easier. If Art Monk had a bubbly personality he would have been a unanimous first ballot HOFer.

I'm guessing that Peter King will focus on the fact that Darrell Green was relegated to nickle back when Jerkwad was signed in 2000 as proof that he wasn't that good. The facts have never held that much importance to him when coming to a conclusion.

Green retired in 2002, so he'll be eligible next year. I'm not holding my breath though.

My point, I guess, is that when Monk retired, practically everyone assumed he was going to be a first-ballot HOFer. Heck, Madden was referring to him as a future HOFer in SB26 when Monk was establishing the tone of the offense in the first quarter.

Then, slowly but surely, guys like King started coming up with reasons to vote against him, and that campaign gethered momentum until now, when people simply don't remember his play all that well and compare his numbers to the guys that are playing two decades later. That's the reason Monk got further along years ago and now doesn't even make the final cut.

So here we are now, assuming, rightly, that Green's a shoo-in. Well, five years is a long time, time enough for guys like King to plant the seeds of doubt. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Green got snubbed as well.

A few excerpts from King's article yesterday. Monk was definately on his brain a lot:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/02/06/mmqb.super.bowl/1.html

8. Washington (11-7). Dan Snyder put out a statement Saturday critical of Art Monk not getting into the Hall of Fame. That really helps, Dan.

An owner supporting a former player from his team? The horror!

a. The guy I got ripped most for before the voting was Art Monk, because I don't support him. The guy I got ripped most for after the voting was Warren Moon, because so many of my peers think his yards are relatively meaningless and because he was a 3-7 playoff quarterback. I actually went into the meeting thinking I'd vote against Moon because he just didn't win enough and because his run-and-shoot yards, I felt, shouldn't carry much weight. But only four of his 17 years were in the strict run-and-shoot. And he compared quite favorably to Dan Fouts: they each started 15 years and Moon threw for 6,000 more yards, 37 more touchdowns and won 17 more games. Playoff appearances: Moon nine, Fouts four. And while winning five Grey Cups in a six-years CFL career isn't a huge factor, it's called the Pro Football Hall of Fame. In the end, his body of work overcame the very big factor of three playoff wins in 15 starting seasons.

Two words King: Charlie Joiner.

d. Heard two media guys talking in the media center Sunday. Guy one: "Monk got screwed again. Ridiculous.'' Guy two: "I say it all the time -- if you screw guys in the press and don't talk to them and treat them like crap, it'll come back to haunt you.'' Absurd, absurd, absurd. No factor. In fact, Monk is admired for his dignity, soft-spokenness and class

Riiiiiight. In response, Czaban on the radio last night was kind enough to point out this, not more than two paragraphs further down:

g. Saw Michael Irvin Saturday after the vote. "You'll get in,'' I told him.

Apparently it doesn't hurt to be chummy with the voters so much.

So here we are, scratching our heads yet again. Godspeed Darrell.

Archived