Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taglibue:Disrespecting the coaches???

Zuck

This article is from Redskins.com. Kind of disrespectful if you ask me. Everyone knows who these coaches are.

"I think the history of the game is replete with coaches who were great when they had people like Bart Starr, Doug Williams, Marcus Allen and Terrell Davis playing for them and then those coaches weren't so good when [those players retired] and there were different players on the field."

He may have a point but don't go calling out specific coaches and saying they were only good because of certain players they had.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=2233

Wow, Doug Williams gets mentioned in the same breath as those players? Wow...He should feel honored.

I mean I liked him because he got us a Superbowl, but I didn't think he was the difference maker. He was a good QB. Didn't he play on some terrible Tampa teams... How bad was that coach if he couldn't win with Doug Williams?

Basically a shot at Lombardi, Gibbs and Mike Shanahan. Two HOFers and one possible future HOFer. I'm sure he didn't mean it that way, but he sure should have thought that one over before flapping his gums. Especially dumb when you consider that Gibbs won a Super Bowl before Williams arrived and another after he left. Just a silly comment on several different levels.

For the sake of argument, or something like that, the quote in its entirety.

----------------------------------

During a question-and-answer session with reporters, Tagliabue was asked about the recent trend of NFL teams, including the Redskins, hiring former coordinators to serve as position coaches and whether highly paid coaching staffs could impact the league's competitive balance.

"I think it is becoming an issue in terms of whether we continue to have a level playing field among the teams in the league and in terms of the financial resources some teams have available that others don't," Tagliabue said.

But, he added: "I think the history of the game is replete with coaches who were great when they had people like Bart Starr, Doug Williams, Marcus Allen and Terrell Davis playing for them and then those coaches weren't so good when [those players retired] and there were different players on the field.

"So I'm sure it's something that will be debated for a long time. How much do coaches win football games and how much do higher-paid coaches do better than lower-paid coaches? The jury is still out."

The fact that he mentions Doug Williams (at least to me) kinda makes it seem like he's saying that Gibbs couldn't win without Williams. Now, maybe this is before Tagliabue's time, but Gibbs did win 3 SBs with 3 different QB's. So since Williams only won one, that would say that Gibbs won two WITHOUT WILLIAMS.

I don't think Doug Williams belongs in that quote.

It's a pretty ignorant and foolish statement for anyone to make. When it's the commissioner of the NFL it's irresponsible.

To be fair, in context, he seems to be trying to downplay the importance of attempting to regulate the stockpiling of top coaches, but he should at least do some research and use valid examples rather than just throw nonsense out there.

This article is from Redskins.com. Kind of disrespectful if you ask me. Everyone knows who these coaches are.

"I think the history of the game is replete with coaches who were great when they had people like Bart Starr, Doug Williams, Marcus Allen and Terrell Davis playing for them and then those coaches weren't so good when [those players retired] and there were different players on the field."

He may have a point but don't go calling out specific coaches and saying they were only good because of certain players they had.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=2233

Sounds like a good argument for Gibbs as the greatest ever, if you ask me. :notworthy

I think I get what Tagliabue is trying to say - players are more important than coaches.

He just said it in a pretty stupid way.

Understand this, but then how does Tags explain Gibbs winning with different players each time. Coincidence, I think not.

This commish knows he works for the owners and has to negotiate the new cba with the players association...for him, coaches are therefore an afterthought.

The downplaying of the role and influence of coaches makes both of his main customers happy so his remarks are not particularly surprising.

I must admit, it was an odd list of names he used in his example, he probably should have had a better prepared "impromptu" response ready for this question since the whining has been loud and persistent given the GW and AS contracts.

Seems to me his position is that everyone should get paid as much as possible, except the assistant coaches? Also seems a bit contrary to suggest coaches may not be as important to winning as players and at the same time say recent increases in coaches salaries may adversely affect competitive balance...which is it?

Archived