Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How did you decide what you wanted to do with your life?

TheSteve

Who will win the Pro Bowl?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Pro Bowl?

• NFC
    • AFC

The title is self explanatory. Basically I'm sitting here bored and thought it would be interesting to here from those of you already in careers and pursuing careers in college. Did you always know what you'd do? Trial and error through experience? Natural talent? Enlightened by others? All of the above?

Right now I manage a pro shop in the nearby bowling alley. It was something different, so when my friend asked me to help her parents out I took it. 4 plus years later I am still there and soon to be running the place on my own. This place can easily do $100,000 a year if ran right--at worst $75-$80. I have my focus on buying it from my boss but I know he will want a pretty profit from it. He got it for dirt cheap but I know the type of guy he is and is addicted to money.

If I don't buy the shop I would love to do something with coaching.. I am currently reading about the mutiple 4-3 defense and learing about the Linebacker position. I would love to coach a defense, either as coordinator or linebackers, secondary coach. Hey, Gregg Williams will need a replacement soon right? :laugh:

Amazing as this might sound, I never gave it any thought. Got kicked out every school that I attended (damned nuns). Got decent grades and scored a 1200 sat begining of 10th grade, only time I took it. (thank you Catholic school). Was into sports, girls, cars, and later partying. But a funny thing happend along the way. I thought about building stuff. First a playhouse for a school, then some elaborate tree forts, then an underground smoking establshment. It didn't really take at first.

After High School had a couple resturant and gas station jobs, then a friend

got me a job as a carpenter helper with Miller & Long. Well the rest is history, with a little help from the fact that I am a terrible employee.

And If this occurs to you, there is only one remedy, work for yourself.

So about 16 year later, I am a GC which is a greedy carpenter with a

big ego ;) .

Maybe I have a decent story for this ...

I went to college in California wanting to be an experimental physicist. I enjoyed science and math in high school, and I was pretty good at it. Somewhere near the end of sophomore year though, I realized that while I liked Physics, I didn't love Physics, and if you're going to dedicate your life to something as hard as Physics, you really have to love it.

I started looking for other things to do. That summer, I worked in an Astrophysics lab calculating the velocity dispersion of star clusters in nearby galaxies, but I my mind was mostly elsewhere.

I found direction in something I was already doing - student government. During my sophomore year, I had run unopposed as the Director of Social Activities for the Associated Students. I kind of walked into the position because I had some experience as a DJ, and during my freshman year I was in charge of the DJ lights and some other equipment that the student government used for parties. I had organized our year-end formal, a campus-wide carnival, I had funnelled a lot of money to the breakdancing club and the cheerleaders, and I had sat through many many student government board meetings.

Sometime towards the end of my sophomore year though, I started paying attention in those meetings, and I got interested. I started going to more meetings on bigger issues, like the honor code or campus parking ... during the summer I served on the advisory board for the student research program, where my crowning achievement was organizing a free barbecue on the beach for 100 students because I got two other organizations to each cover half ...

During Junior year, I was promoted to manager in my part-time job as a waiter at the faculty club, and the President of the Student Body decided not to run for a second term. I was the only member of the Board of Directors to have served an entire year, so I was pretty natural candidate for the position. I crushed my opponent in a rather uneventful election, and all of a sudden, in the span of a year, I had gone from DJ to President of the Student Body.

By that time, I had dropped my Physics major, but since I didn't want to let all those credits go to waste, I switched first to Applied Math. At the end of my junior year, I added a second major in Business, anticipating that my best career opportunities would probably come in consulting or finance. However, at the back of my mind was law and politics...

Soon after being elected President of the student body, I applied for internships on Capitol Hill, and after a few interviews, I got one in the office of a California Senator. I spent half my summer doing research with a Political Science professor and the other half answering the mail and photocopying in the Hart Senate Office Building. It was actually a great experience, and it solidified my desire to learn more about the law.

I studied for the LSAT and took it at the beginning of my senior year. I did pretty well, and over winter break, I applied to law school ... the rejection and acceptance letters started coming in just about the time I was done being President of the Student Body - a term marked by one major protest, several internal scandals, and a massive budget surplus.

I broke up with my girlfriend, put all my stuff in my Honda Civic, headed west on Highway 10, and now here I am in Charlottesville.

I don't know what the moral of the story is, but I think it's that you never really know what's going to happen, and in college, your life can change in a matter of weeks ... you don't have to know what you want to do with your life, but if you can figure out what you want to do right now, that path just might lead somewhere. I think the best decisions in life are the ones that make themselves.

My father was the Editor in Chief for Sea Technology magazine for ~17 years, from the time I was 3 years old until I was around 20 or so. Reading this magazine my entire life naturally got me interested in the ocean-industry, and ocean-engineering in particular. So...that's where I am.

I am naturally good at math, and I want to eventually teach at the university level, which is why I'm getting my PhD. That, and I don't want to get a real job!! :silly:

I made a deal with myself! ;)

Ever since I can remember, I wanted to be a police officer. That is all I wanted. In high school I didn't really strive for excellence since I knew I didn't need college. (Stupid logic! :doh: ) So, after I graduated, I had to wait until I was 21. I worked for my uncle, worked here, worked there...blah blah blah...

Well, I turned 21. I was so excited to persue a law enforcement career. I tested for Md State PD, DC PD, and Anne Arundel County PD. Well, I guess I was too young, or something (a couple police officers told me off-the-record that I would have a hard time because I was a white male and they needed to hire minorities. I don't know) Anyway, I didn't get hired.

So, I felt kind of lost. I didn't know what I was going to do with myself at that point. I continued to work for construction companies and warehouses, and just places I knew I didn't want to work for ever.

So....I made a deal with myself when I was 22 years old. I decided that if I were not a police officer by the time I was 23, I would join the Air Force.

I was not a cop by 23, so I did join the AF. I joined as an E-1 (you almost have to pay them to be there! :doh: ) I became an Intelligence Analyst. I liked my job and got good at it.

I have since separated from the AF and I work for a Gov'nt contractor making very good money. My company is paying for me to finish my college education which I started in the AF. After I complete that, I will work for the Government in the same capacity.

So that's my story. :)

Well I haven't exactly completely settled on everything yet...but I do plan on a career involving writing or perhaps books or literature.

When I was a kid I wanted to do a bunch of stuff, but I think the two things that really stuck out to me were being a comedian and being an archeologist. Later though I started not liking doing stuff outdoors as much and have never really got around to being too comfortable speaking in public too much.

In junior high I ended up in a writing class sort of by default and ended up unexpectedly loving it (then again I have always loved reading and was reading books of 300-500 pages or so in elementary school), although my writing wasn't very good back then. I decided then that I wanted to be a writer. And I used to write little stories about aliens and stuff and show them to my relatives, who got a real kick out of them...though they weren't that great.

Later in highschool I got really interested in History and Politics and have been interested in them since. I contemplated being a Senator some day (well maybe not realistically) for a little while, but was not into all the public speaking and it seemed like a lot of trouble to go through.

In college I took a lot of classes on History, Politics, and English (my major, though it would be hard to tell from the way I type on here probably)

At the moment I am writing stories every day (mostly Science Fiction/Fantasy) and working at a bookstore and looking around for more steady jobs to keep me going until I start getting stuff published or until I find something that I want to do for good.

(I do plan on keeping writing novels and shorter stories no matter what along the way)

great story sumodat :cheers:

funny how joining the military always leads to bigger and better things down the road when it comes to a civilian career.

I did everything @ss backwards. went to expensive private school in the northeast, went to expensive law school in DC, started a career and THEN joined the military for its great educational benefits which I will never see :doh:

I originally went to college to be a veterinarian. Before my Freshman year I lost my drivers license for the entire summer(doing 96 in a 55 not a good idea). I didn't even have work priveledges, so the company my father was a VP for had a spot open, entry level grunt work and I did that. Worked there for three years while going to school full time, switched my major to finance. I've now been in the business for 8 years(I graduated HS at 17) and am now the General Manager for a finance company. The funny thing about it is, my grandfather after retiring from the navy worked in finance. My father has worked in finance for 30 years, and now I'm doing the same.

Archived