Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

suspend refs

no1fanofno21

just heard that the refs for the FSU vs. Duke b-ball game were suspended for making a technical foul that they shouldnt have, which probably cost FSU the game, ive never heard of this happening. Has anyone heard of this happeing and do you think that it will ever happen in pro sports, cause some of these refs need to go back to school.

I know of an australian rules umpire Darren Goldspink who missed umpiring (officiating) an Australian Football League grand final (superbowl) because he made a bad decision costing one of the teams, the team I follow, a chance to go on in the finals....

sometimes life sucks:it is called the offseason

Penalizing refs for bad calls is an aweful idea.

If you want good reffing, you do two things.

1. Pay refs more and require them to be full time.

2. Give bonuses to the teams of refs that get calls right consistently.

making them full time will allow them to study rules with the object of finding consistency. Some rules are really hard to officiate, like offensive ass interference. Full time refs could try to come up with better more consistant defintions of these penalties.

Not to mention the fact that you'll get better refs.

The second part is just common sense. Positive reinfocement works. Negative reinforcement does not.

making them full time will allow them to study rules with the object of finding consistency. Some rules are really hard to officiate, like offensive ass interference. Full time refs could try to come up with better more consistant defintions of these penalties.

The second part is just common sense. Positive reinfocement works. Negative reinforcement does not.

I think you also expect them to be in game shape if they are full time. Pay them to exercise.

I agree, but would add fining them discretly (not release it to the media) for seriouly blown calls.

The ref who reversed the call on Tom Brady's fumble before the tuck rule was even invented should be hanged. It's one thing to make a bad call, but to make up calls is another ballgame. There are serious problems with officiating and hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake in these games, and there is no reason, with instant replay, that so many aggregious calls are made, other than sheer incompetence by these ex-firefighters, barbers, and cops that somehow are paid to make these ridiculous calls. Full-time referees is the only option.

The ref who reversed the call on Tom Brady's fumble before the tuck rule was even invented should be hanged. It's one thing to make a bad call, but to make up calls is another ballgame. There are serious problems with officiating and hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake in these games, and there is no reason, with instant replay, that so many aggregious calls are made, other than sheer incompetence by these ex-firefighters, barbers, and cops that somehow are paid to make these ridiculous calls. Full-time referees is the only option.

agreed 100%.. Full time refs, paid by the NFL and disciplined by the NFL. Screw their union, people need to be held accountable.

Well there is kind of a bonus system in place.

The team that worked the Super Bowl was the best the NFL had to offer.

I think the NFL should do some things to educate fans and the media as much as anything.

The biggest issue I see is inconsistency in not only what is called but what is understood as a penalty by fans and the media...

The Hasselbeck personal foul is a classic example. Anyone who refutes that penalty with the explanation that Hasselbeck couldn't have been blocking because the Seahwaks didn't have possession, obviously has no clue as to what a "Low Block" is on a return like that...

Also, that last holding call was the only TRULY questionable call made the whole game and it could've gone either way. If everyone knows the classic definition of holding it's probably less of a controversy. As it stands now no one is quite sure what holding is or why it is called on one play and not another.

Also, the NFL grades these officials but never really lets it be known to anyone besides themselves what the grades are and how a "good" game looks. The refs in the Super Bowl might have been the best graded, but that doesn't mean crap if everyone is getting an F...

I applaud the ACC for having the balls to do this. The NFL needs to grow a pair and follow suit. These guys dedicate their entire lives to this sport and to have a zebra shatter your dreams cannot be tolerated. Those refs. from sunday should sit the 2006 season out and freshen up on their officiating skills.

I know of an australian rules umpire Darren Goldspink who missed umpiring (officiating) an Australian Football League grand final (superbowl) because he made a bad decision costing one of the teams, the team I follow, a chance to go on in the finals....

sometimes life sucks:it is called the offseason

Let me just say that I love watching Australian football.

Well there is kind of a bonus system in place.

The team that worked the Super Bowl was the best the NFL had to offer.

I think the NFL should do some things to educate fans and the media as much as anything.

The biggest issue I see is inconsistency in not only what is called but what is understood as a penalty by fans and the media...

The Hasselbeck personal foul is a classic example. Anyone who refutes that penalty with the explanation that Hasselbeck couldn't have been blocking because the Seahwaks didn't have possession, obviously has no clue as to what a "Low Block" is on a return like that...

Also, that last holding call was the only TRULY questionable call made the whole game and it could've gone either way. If everyone knows the classic definition of holding it's probably less of a controversy. As it stands now no one is quite sure what holding is or why it is called on one play and not another.

Also, the NFL grades these officials but never really lets it be known to anyone besides themselves what the grades are and how a "good" game looks. The refs in the Super Bowl might have been the best graded, but that doesn't mean crap if everyone is getting an F...

People are angry at the personal foul not because they didnt have the ball and called a "block" foul, but because it is not supposed to be a low blockif you make the tackle and as far as i remember he made the tackle.

Also, the holding defiently was questionable, but i still think that they should have reviewed the catch at the end of the half where the receiver looked to kick the orange pylon before going out of bounds. After all isnt that what replay is about?

Archived