Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why don't we use more trick plays?

Brother Redskin

Ok so all year long the steelers used trick plays to catch teams off gaurd and gain momentum in games. It showed up in the superbowl and produced points. I remember the cowboys winning one game against us by using a flea flicker, and yet another one against the boys where richie anderson(fb) threw a TD (not this past year of course since we swept them). Yes portis threw one touchdown to cooley and missed another but I kind of want to see more diverse trick plays and to see them more often. what do you all think what are the pros and cons of running trick plays often?

Portis has thrown some balls, like twice this year and once last year, but none of them were pretty like Randel El's pass yesterday.

But then again, the Steelers have the benefit of having 3 college qb's on their starting roster.

Parcells is always fond of the flea flicker, and it's worked pretty well, but I don't know if Gibbs will ever call it. I don't remember Saunders ever calling it either.

One thing I've noticed was we used to run trick plays on special teams in Joe Gibbs' first tenure with the team. But maybe that's because we had Darrell Green.

Pros:

1)Use them sparingly and you can occasionally catch someone off-guard.

Cons:

1) Make a mistake in execution, the play fails and the opposing team will expect it.

2) Succeed with it and the opposing team will expect it.

3) Make a mistake in execution and the opposing busts it open. They'll still be on the lookout for it.

You can only get away with your regular plays so often, especially if they're executed poorly. Trick plays have a significantly less shelf life. It wouldn't upset me to see the same number we have used or even less.

they may not be surprising but the commentators knew that the steelers were going to run one right around the middle of the field so you would have to guess the hawks were thinking the same. we all saw the outcome, TD. I can't help but think that about 70% or more of the trick plays I saw attempted this year were sucessful. I remember us doind 2 hb options 1 sucessful and a couple reverses out of a few hundred plays.

Simple answer is that we don't have enough constant threats for it. In order to perform trick plays you have to sell the trick. They had a receiver throwing to a receiver. Having Randal El running with the ball is scary enough for players to converge and leave Hines Ward open. If you have Sanatana Moss running with the ball, who should he throw to? Himself? The truth is that our only threats are Moss, Portis and on occasion Cooley. While teams like the Patriots have constant threats like the Randal El, Ward, the Bus, and even Parker now. We need more go to guys!!!

Simple answer is that we don't have enough constant threats for it. In order to perform trick plays you have to sell the trick. They had a receiver throwing to a receiver. Having Randal El running with the ball is scary enough for players to converge and leave Hines Ward open. If you have Sanatana Moss running with the ball, who should he throw to? Himself? The truth is that our only threats are Moss, Portis and on occasion Cooley. While teams like the Patriots have constant threats like the Randal El, Ward, the Bus, and even Parker now. We need more go to guys!!!

i Agree

:munchout:

not sure if you were watching the games but we tried a few time but really dont have the players to pull it off....the times we did our running game was tight the others got messed up or were luck... :doh:

I thought H.Ward was a RB in college with T.D.. There is a qb turned wr coming out this year. You have to admit trick plays do look pretty impressive when they work.

I thought he was the Pittsburgh emergency QB though. I would imagine he would have to have some type of experience for a team to list you there. Either that or Cowher is brave.

this seems kind of like a catch 22. seems like you are saying that you can not run a trick play unless your offense works well but if your offense is working well you don't need tricks as much as if your offense isn't working.

kind of like money makes money

Guest ComebackKing

Umm I thought Clinton Portis option pass and Santana Moss screen and A.Brown reverse's were enough trick plays. For a few games I remember we did all 3 in back to back games.

Ask Joe Theisman why he doesn't like to call the flea flicker :(

Ouch.

But back to the point -

Trick plays don't work if they don't TRICK anybody. To trick somebody, it has to be unexpected. Running MORE trick plays eliminates the unexpected element. The HB pass from Portis to Cooley was great this year. While I would love to see it more often, it would fail to be successful if it was used more often, as other teams would plan for it.

In short, we're pretty much good where we are with the trick plays.

Portis has thrown some balls, like twice this year and once last year, but none of them were pretty like Randel El's pass yesterday.

But then again, the Steelers have the benefit of having 3 college qb's on their starting roster.

Parcells is always fond of the flea flicker, and it's worked pretty well, but I don't know if Gibbs will ever call it. I don't remember Saunders ever calling it either.

One thing I've noticed was we used to run trick plays on special teams in Joe Gibbs' first tenure with the team. But maybe that's because we had Darrell Green.

gibbs called a flea flicker pass this year on our first possesion in one game, dont remember which one it was against

Ouch.

But back to the point -

Trick plays don't work if they don't TRICK anybody. To trick somebody, it has to be unexpected. Running MORE trick plays eliminates the unexpected element. The HB pass from Portis to Cooley was great this year. While I would love to see it more often, it would fail to be successful if it was used more often, as other teams would plan for it.

In short, we're pretty much good where we are with the trick plays.

this year we called a hb option in 3 consecutive games and all three plays were the same exact design.. handoff to portis and he rolls right. Sure go ahead and call a trick play, but diverse at least

Archived