Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does a free agent DE still mean we will draft a DE?

coldpacker

Lots of mock drafts are telling tales of the Redskins picking up Tapp from VT w/ their pick.

Also, a lot of people are posting that we'll pick up an FA DE or at least want one. Whether is Kampman, Bosch or Abraham; we still have Phillip which turned on his lightning and thunder when we really need it the most [the 5 game stretch]. He's getting a bit older but as long as he keeps up that 5 game performance, i like our odds of keeping him where he is.

The replacement is obviously for Wynn, even though he's a solid run stopper.

SO, if we draft a DE would we STILL persue a DE from the free agency?

It depends on what else happens in free agency, but I would think so.

Let's look at our Dline

LE -Renaldo Wynn - Has played decent, barely. I'm assuming that he is a lockerroom presence, because his play has not warranted the praise he recieved from the coaching staff when he was injured. He's going to be 32 this year. He aint got too many years left in him so its time to start thinking about a replacement.

DT - Cornelius Griffin - Pro-Bowler in the prime of his career. A monster in the middle

DT - Whoever - The Skins like to platoon guys next to Griffin. And a variety of guys can play here with Joe Salava getting the most time. Evans has flashed here too, though he can also pay at DE.

RE - Phillip Daniels - Came on strong last year with 8 sacks. When's he's healthy he's pretty good. Plays the run well too. But, alas, he's getting up there in years as well.

So what should we do? Honestly, it depends on the salary cap and who we get in Free Agency. If say, we pick up Abraham or Howard, I don't think we should draft a DE in the 2nd round. Wait a bit and get a guy with a lot of raw talent. Groom him for a year or two and then turn him loose.

At some point we have to draft people on the defensive line to be the next generation of guys there. Even if we sign a big free agent on the line, I'd like us to spend two or three picks on the line to create a competitive situation where you hope someone stands out and makes a name for himself and becomes a good player.

Receiver takes too long to develop for the most part, so, I'd probably pick here to go with most of our free agent dollars and focus on the defensive line in the draft, but, we'll see how it goes.

Listening to the coaching staff after Wynn got hurt tells me he's not going anywhere. They were praising him big time.

I think we'll use the 2nd or 3rd rounder on a smallish pass rushing DE and just add that guy to the mix.

I agree. I think Wynn and Daniels remain as the starters and a rookie (Tapp) comes in to eventually replace them and will function as the Clemons-type 3rd down pass rusher.

I think we will probably look for a guy like Tapp who can be a situational pass rusher at a minimum in the draft. While our coaches prefer to be able to really eat up blockers with the line and let the LB's run free, there is also a need to be able to go after the QB when the situation demands it. A guy like Tapp would give you flexibility on the line to generate some quick preassure without losing too aweful much against the run. That kid's got a motor.

I honestly would not be surprised to see them either draft or sign a FA D-tackle who is a bit on the small side for a tackle and convert them to DE in the mold of Daniels and Wynn. We do need to look towards not just their future replacement, but also depth behind them for the current time. Our coaches seem to like interchangable players on the line, so this approach would be a good fit for us. You can find D-tackles who can get after the QB, finding a D-end who can make a legitimate claim to holding the point of attack in the middle is a little taller of an order.

At some point we have to draft people on the defensive line to be the next generation of guys there. Even if we sign a big free agent on the line, I'd like us to spend two or three picks on the line to create a competitive situation where you hope someone stands out and makes a name for himself and becomes a good player.

Receiver takes too long to develop for the most part, so, I'd probably pick here to go with most of our free agent dollars and focus on the defensive line in the draft, but, we'll see how it goes.

Yup yup.

Assuming we pick up an extra first day pick for young Patrick, we'd be sitting with 2 3rd rounders and a 2nd rounder. 2 of those picks MUST be on the defensive line. If one of those players is a contributor along with a solid free agent addition - we'll be headed in the right direction. I think it's a bit much to expect 3 new additions to work out (FA or draft picks) but 2 is doable.

Here's my dream scenario:

#2 DT Jesse Maholena 6-2, 300 Tennessee

#3 DE Mark Anderson 6-4, 255 Alabama

John Abraham for a 10 mill up front. :)

I don't like the word "must" when it comes to the draft, because you never know who will be where you pick. Certainly, DE probably should be a priority, but I'd rather them not just pick a position because it is on a checklist.

Jason

I somewhat agree you. We definitely need Defensive Line help and it is quite obvious. The part I do agree with you about is.....say when it is our turn to pick and in the "war room" our guys get a call from a team wanting a certain guy, we can draft this guy and trade him to said team for a DE or a later pick, etc. You get my idea.

Archived