Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Slate: How the referees handed Pittsburgh the Super Bowl

http://www.slate.com/id/2135435/

A pretty good account of the horrible officiating in last night's game. The only thing I'm wondering is why no one seems to be mentioning another crappy call -- the "drop" by Jerramy Stevens that was clearly a catch and fumble. It was the only point during the game that I raised my voice.

i dunno. the refs didn't help but seattle couldn't get anything going. to be honest, neither team really "won" the game. pitt just made some timely plays, benefited from the refs, and held on for the big W. seattle played excellent defense but their vaulted offense did squat. i can't believe holmgreen didn't try to put the game in alexander's hands.

i dunno. the refs didn't help but seattle couldn't get anything going. to be honest, neither team really "won" the game. pitt just made some timely plays, benefited from the refs, and held on for the big W. seattle played excellent defense but their vaulted offense did squat. i can't believe holmgreen didn't try to put the game in alexander's hands.
That's not really true. The Steelers made a few big plays when they needed to.

The way I see it, we had four major obstacles to overcome:

- Steelers' big plays

- dropped passes and missed FGs (shooting ourselves in the foot)

- horrid officiating

- three key injuries on defense (especially the two in the secondary)

I think we could have won the game if we only had to deal with three of those four, but we couldn't overcome all four.

Well, no, not when we had to play against the Steelers AND the Zebras.

And those three plays you mentioned do not represent 21 points, they represent 14 points. The Ben TD was a gift.

what do you think of seattle's gameplan? i have no idea why they didn't try to control the game more using alexander (20att/95yds). i thought those initial outside runs were trying to setup something but it never materialized.

A pretty good account of the horrible officiating in last night's game. The only thing I'm wondering is why no one seems to be mentioning another crappy call -- the "drop" by Jerramy Stevens that was clearly a catch and fumble. It was the only point during the game that I raised my voice.

The reason you haven't heard anything about the Stevens non-fumble is because then the mediots in print and on talk radio wouldn't have anything to talk about for the next couple of weeks if they admitted that both sides were the beneficiaries of some questionable calls. Btw, is anybody else getting tired of the Seachickens fans whining about calls after they practically made a living off of holding in the playoff game against us. Bad calls happen get over it, great teams make the refs irrelevant, the Chickens were simply a good team with a great record and couldn't get it done

When Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger lunged for the goal line near the end of the first half, replays indicated a close play but a clear stop by the Seahawks.

I disagree...Ben was in the endzone on that play. The camera angle was slightly skewed, and I believe if it had been straight down the goal line it would have clearly showed Big Ben got in.

The push-off: You can clearly see DJax's arm slightly bent when he makes contact, and then it goes straight as cuts back. Now, from where the ref was standing, he had no choice but to call a push-off, whether it was merited or not. And he did not hesitate; he missed the flag when he went for it the first time. In my opinion, it was clearly a push-off from that angle, and by no means "rinky-dink."

But whatever...I've done my fair share of complaining about the refs...I just can't believe that horrible officiating in the Skins' games gets no more than a squeak out of the media, but this is some horrible hose-job...Welcome to the life of a Skins fan, Seahawks fans!! We get jobbed by the refs regularly.

First, he's a Bengals fan who is still mad at the beating that they took at the hands of the Steelers. Second, I TOTALLY agree with you about that play. My god, Jerramy "Soft as a Pillow" Stevens just about took three steps after catching that ball! Of course he fumbled forwards and out of bounds so they would have placed it at the spot of the catch and fumble, but it would have been Seattle's ball and a potential momentum changer. I have to say I'm happy though. Seattle was only in the SB because of an easy schedule which led to home field.

And those three plays you mentioned do not represent 21 points, they represent 14 points. The Ben TD was a gift.

Even though a lot of people on this board are saying that the Darrell Jackson offensive pass int. call was legit, I thought it was a bull**** call. That stuff happens all the time and the biggest game of the year isn't the time to take away a TD on essentially a touch foul.

Ben TD was good. He was over the goalline.

Even though a lot of people on this board are saying that the Darrell Jackson offensive pass int. call was legit, I thought it was a bull**** call. That stuff happens all the time and the biggest game of the year isn't the time to take away a TD on essentially a touch foul.

:applause: I agree completely.

Not so sure about that. Either way, my problem with that play was that the head linesman starting running toward the middle of the field right along the goal line with one hand up, signaling that Big Ben was short of the goal line. Inexplicably, he changed his mind a few steps in, creating an irrefutable judgment based on Big Ben pushing the ball over the line after the play was finished.

A "good" account. He barely mentions anything about the calls except the fact that they were bad. What kind of reporting is that? Shouldn't he say WHY they are bad...He then goes on to point out how both teams suck and the Steelers great 3 plays. That article was horrible, I hope he didn't get paid for it, I coulda thrown that crap together in a 30 minutes...

Also, I've said it before, anyone who refutes Hasselbeck's 15 yard personal foul because he wasn't blocking doesn't understand what a Low Block is and shouldn't be allowed to write about it...

That guy has a serious issue with Bettis too...The Bus has been a backup/short yardage guy the whole year and it was the Steelers TEAM that decided to make this game about Bettis from the end of last year when Hines Ward was crying over losing the AFC championship in what might've been Bettis' last year. It was the TEAM that decided to let Bettis run out by himself. And itwas Mike Tirico that asked Bettis the questions that led to his so'called love fest...

I don't follow the NFL game as closely as the college game, but the refs usually don't call that Stephens' drop/fumble a fumble. In the college game I believe that is a fumble, but I rarely see that called a fumble in the pro game. I think it ultimately helped the Steelers because the ball was heading out of bounds downfield. An incompletion appeared to be the best possible call for Pittsburgh given their offenisve ineptitude for most of the night.

I thought the DJ offensive pass int. call was a good call based on one thing I think I remember... I believe the defender had both his feet in the air as Jackson was extending his arm. That would knock him and keep him a good ways off the ball and out of the play...I recall sitting and thinking it was a good call b/c of that. Though, I could just be wrong...can anyone replay it?

Not so sure about that. Either way, my problem with that play was that the head linesman starting running toward the middle of the field right along the goal line with one hand up, signaling that Big Ben was short of the goal line. Inexplicably, he changed his mind a few steps in, creating an irrefutable judgment based on Big Ben pushing the ball over the line after the play was finished.
Bingo! You are the first person out of hundreds whose comments I've read who picked up on that point.

Most people just look at the replay and say he did/didn't get in based on where they think the ball is in relation to the white line. It's possible that the laces touched the plane, but that's not what the ref called. The only time the ball might have tapped the plane is when Ben was in the air on his way down. At that point, the ref was watching the play, and as soon as Ben hit the ground he started running in giving the "spot it here" signal. He didn't change it to the TD signal until he was halfway into the middle of the field. What could he have seen at that point? The only possible thing he could have seen is Ben reaching the ball across the goal line while he was flat on the ground! Had he stuck with the original call, there's no way it would have been overturned. It would have been 4th and goal from about the two inch line. Then, who knows? The Steelers might punch it in. Or the Seahawks might stop it. Or the Steelers might go for the field goal. But I would have at least liked to have had a shot at stopping them.

I thought the DJ offensive pass int. call was a good call based on one thing I think I remember... I believe the defender had both his feet in the air as Jackson was extending his arm. That would knock him and keep him a good ways off the ball and out of the play...I recall sitting and thinking it was a good call b/c of that. Though, I could just be wrong...can anyone replay it?

The DB was not in the air when the "push off" happened.

The PI rule as written and the ref flip-a-coin goal line rule are both stupid rules, although the latter is clearly dumber. Try running away from someone without extending your arms (you'll look real dumb!). The standard for PI should be much higher on a broken play like the Jackson PI, where boxing out etc. is the norm. It's called incidental contact.

I can never recall seeing such a ticky-tack PI call in the Super Bowl. They constantly let that level of contact go in the football and basketball playoffs.

Had he stuck with the original call, there's no way it would have been overturned. It would have been 4th and goal from about the two inch line. Then, who knows? The Steelers might punch it in. Or the Seahawks might stop it. Or the Steelers might go for the field goal. But I would have at least liked to have had a shot at stopping them.

And as a football fan, I would have liked to have seen what would have happened on fourth and goal from the 2-inch line.

From what I recall, DJ barely touched the guy. I'm sorry, but you can't make that call in the biggest game of the year. Hasselbeck placed that ball perfectly and I seriously doubt the defender could've made a play on it under the best of circumstances.

Talon I said, weeks ago that for the superbowl I would eat my underwear if the seahawks game was in anyway close. Your defense is not sturdy enough to hold up against a healthy smash mouth team in the third and fourth quarter.

In fact, I'd say top 3-5 AFC teams would win 4 out of 5 times against any NFC team in the superbowl. The zebras didn't hand the game over to the steelers, your team dropped a big steamy turd. Just admit it. Or maybe I should start ****ing about the no-calls on refs during the redskins seahawks game? Cuz, obviously your team wouldn't have won that game without the refs help.

The Steelers were the sixth seed. They soundly beat every team they played against including yours.

From what I recall, DJ barely touched the guy. I'm sorry, but you can't make that call in the biggest game of the year. Hasselbeck placed that ball perfectly and I seriously doubt the defender could've made a play on it under the best of circumstances.

I remember clearly seeing DJ's bent arm contact the defender, then as he changed direction, his arm straightened out while still making contact with the defender. That is a push-off, and the ref was right behind him.

Was it a ticky-tack call from any other angle? Maybe...but the angle the ref happened to be at it was clearly a push-off...:2cents:

Archived