Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle embarrassed the NFC, Pittsburg had a bad game and still won by double digits.

Inxsive

WOW, Seattle got beat by a QB with a 22.6 passer rating. The NFC's 'top' team against the AFC's 6th seed (not playing well in the game) and they only manage 10 points. I am surprised that Pittsburg played so poorly, however, I am not surprised Seattle couldn't do anything with it. Seattle was out-classed and out-coached. You can tell their fans are new to the Superbowl atmosphere, they can't decide who to blame; the ref's or injuries. One thing is for sure, it wasn't the teams fault. Is anyone really surprised with Seattle performance, considering they havn't beaten anyone above .500 on the road since 2002. This team had alot of things fall into place to reach the Superbowl and even when Pittsburg didn't play well they still lost by double digits. Can you imagine if Pittsburg had really showed up?

WOW, Seattle got beat by a QB with a 22.6 passer rating. The NFC's 'top' team against the AFC's 6th seed (not playing well in the game) and they only manage 10 points. I am surprised that Pittsburg played so poorly, however, I am not surprised Seattle couldn't do anything with it. Seattle was out-classed and out-coached. You can tell their fans are new to the Superbowl atmosphere, they can't decide who to blame; the ref's or injuries. One thing is for sure, it wasn't the teams fault. Is anyone really surprised with Seattle performance, considering they havn't beaten anyone above .500 on the road since 2002. This team had alot of things fall into place to reach the Superbowl and even when Pittsburg didn't play well they still lost by double digits. Can you imagine if Pittsburg had really showed up?

Yup -- Steelers sleepwalked through the entire 1st half (even taking into account the bomb to Hines) and Seattle still couldn't cash in. If Pitt came out the way they had the previous 3 weeks Seawhores would have been taken out behind the woodshed....

Claiming the steelers didn't "show up" is absurd. Had you watched the playoffs you would have noticed that Seattle's defense had made every team they played look like they didn't show up. Redskins O didn't get off the bus. Carolina's uber duo suffered a major disconnect and looked pathetic. Steeler's passing offense that ruled the AFC playoffs was completely shut down. 2 is a trend and here we have three games in which Seattles defense showed up and did the job.

If anyone failed to show up it was Seattles receivers. The TE dropped too many and the wide outs all forgot that the pros require two feet in bounds. Whatever thier stupid play didn't screw up the refs did. They had one of those off games that ruins teams in the post season. It sucks but they did not embarass the NFC.

Claiming the steelers didn't "show up" is absurd. Had you watched the playoffs you would have noticed that Seattle's defense had made every team they played look like they didn't show up. Redskins O didn't get off the bus. Carolina's uber duo suffered a major disconnect and looked pathetic. Steeler's passing offense that ruled the AFC playoffs was completely shut down. 2 is a trend and here we have three games in which Seattles defense showed up and did the job.

If anyone failed to show up it was Seattles receivers. The TE dropped too many and the wide outs all forgot that the pros require two feet in bounds. Whatever thier stupid play didn't screw up the refs did. They had one of those off games that ruins teams in the post season. It sucks but they did not embarass the NFC.

I agree. Seattle's defense came to play. Holmgen's playcalling and WR drops probably cost them the game.

I agree. Seattle's defense came to play. Holmgen's playcalling and WR drops probably cost them the game.

Well Seattle D did hold Pittsburg to 21 points, that is 3 points less than they average this year....way to go!!! I'm guessing you are leaning more to the idea that Seattle forced Ben to play porely rather than him having a bad game?.....What about their special teams (you don't get points for punting the ball into the endzone), Offense and especially Coaching?

Holmgren claims that Matt was audibling out of plays at the line,whatever!!! Both teams looked anemic last night for good portions of the game. The refs did help Pitt out a lot (let's be real, that wasn't a push off worthy of a flag at the beginning of the game, the PI call was iffy, and they should have atleasted reviewed the no touch down to see if Jackson got his toe down.)

I was rooting for Pitt last night, and I'm glad they won. But, we all know that if the Skins has gotten hosed by the refs the way Seatle did, we would be ready to kill.

Holmgren claims that Matt was audibling out of plays at the line,whatever!!! Both teams looked anemic last night for good portions of the game. The refs did help Pitt out a lot (let's be real, that wasn't a push off worthy of a flag at the beginning of the game, the PI call was iffy, and they should have atleasted reviewed the no touch down to see if Jackson got his toe down.)

I was rooting for Pitt last night, and I'm glad they won. But, we all know that if the Skins has gotten hosed by the refs the way Seatle did, we would be ready to kill.

There weren't any flagrant bad calls. There were several borderline ones. Ben got the ball over the line about 2 feet above the ground. Everbody is only looking at where he landed. The push off in the end zone, although not strong, was obvious and right in front of the ref. They don't have a #1 receiver and it showed. Has anyone seen as sloppy a performance as Seattle's?

There weren't any flagrant bad calls.
I have no friggin idea what game you watch. To ignore the fact that the refs had an impact on the flow of the game is farging idiotic.

Has anyone seen as sloppy a performance as Seattle's?

Yes. The Steelers offense in the first half.

I have no friggin idea what game you watch. To ignore the fact that the refs had an impact on the flow of the game is farging idiotic.

Yes. The Steelers offense in the first half.

and yet they were winning at 1/2 time.

Don't buy any wine from Washington State in the next few years, apparently there are some sour grapes in old Hawks land.

The Seahawks looked like the better team to me. Check the stats -- you could argue they dominated the Steelers. Bad calls and bonehead plays did the Hawks in.

Hasselbeck had a better day than Ben, of course when you have to throw it almost 50 times your going to rack up some yards, but reguardless Ben was pretty bad. Please list the major flagarent bad calls, to me, it sure looked like all of them could have gone either way. I think your mad because none of them went Seattle's way. Ever since the referees have been enforcing the no contact beyond 5 yards against defenders they have also been tighter on offensive pass interference. You can't have it both ways. Michael Irvin never would have made the pro bowl under the current rules but they are the rules.

Just go to foxports.com or heck, any other website for a long list of the horrid calls. The big story of the day is how truly horrible the officials were.

I though Seattle folks were too liberal to visit any part of the Fox News network!;)

Well Seattle D did hold Pittsburg to 21 points, that is 3 points less than they average this year....way to go!!! I'm guessing you are leaning more to the idea that Seattle forced Ben to play porely rather than him having a bad game?.....What about their special teams (you don't get points for punting the ball into the endzone), Offense and especially Coaching?

Seattle was stuffing Pitt's offense in the first half. I don't think teams come out flat in the Superbowl, but maybe they were a little tired from all of the road games in the playoffs. Either way, yeah, I thought Seattle's defense was the big reason for Ben's "bad game".

Seattle moved the ball though and could have won if they had gotten a couple of breaks.

Every time Seattle had a big play, I expected a flag...I'm surprised they got a TD.

Seattle had no rhythm because the refs wouldn't allow it...a ton of very weak calls.

But the Seattle receivers started to look like Seattle receivers of the past...bad hands.

But the refs really jobbed the Seahawks.

Every time Seattle had a big play, I expected a flag...I'm surprised they got a TD.

Seattle had no rhythm because the refs wouldn't allow it...a ton of very weak calls.

But the Seattle receivers started to look like Seattle receivers of the past...bad hands.

But the refs really jobbed the Seahawks.

The only Seattle receiver that had issues was that waste of a 1st round pick, Jeremy Stevens.

Darrel Jackson and Joe Jurevicius both had excellent games against a team with a tough secondary.

Pittsburgh was FLAT, I see about 100% of there games and this is not the team that ripped though Denver,Cincy, and Indy....They had flashes and then they went away, Seattle caught them down and came up with nothing Seattle lost that game, not the refs.

See the rediculous Seattle examples here:

#1 they took the ball on the coin toss (always defer)

#2 Everyone is arguing that IF they would have not called the push off (witch watched at real speed from behind probably looked diffrent than the replay) it would have been a TD, well IF Ike Taylor would have held onto the interception he dropped earlier in the drive they wouldn't of had any points at all.

#3 Seattle's Punting was horrific......they couldn't pin the Steelers inside the 20 when they had 5 tries punting from midfield...all went into the endzone.

#4 5 of 17 on 3rd down conversions.

#5 They tried and missed 2 47 yd plus feildgoals on 4th down, when on third down in both cases they took shots at teh endzone from 30 yds out instead of trying to get 8 yds for a 1st.

#6 Clock management, not only at the end of the game, the whole game seattle had the ball allot but couldn't sustain anything see #4.

#7 What happend to the 5 yd out? They used it for 1 drive and stopped.

#8 Drops....Steven's won't be walking down any dark alleys anytime soon.

#9 Coaching?? What kind of vanilla gameplan was that from Holmgren? No risks, not gambles, no trickery? Just whinning.....

If the Redskins had been treated that way by the refs, this board would have been in major meltdown mode. What Jackson did on the supposed PI is done EVERY week in today's NFL and not called. Why do you think big receivers are preferred in this league? Very few are both big and fast. They know how to cheat and almost always get away with it (the ref lets it go).

That was the most noticeable performance by the refs that I've ever seen in a SuperBowl. I've watched all the SB's since Madden won his.

If Manuel wasn't hurt and the refs called more than one penalty against the Steelers in the final 55 minutes, the Steelers wouldn't have scored in double digits.

Pittsburgh was FLAT, I see about 100% of there games and this is not the team that ripped though Denver,Cincy, and Indy....They had flashes and then they went away, Seattle caught them down and came up with nothing Seattle lost that game, not the refs.

See the rediculous Seattle examples here:

#1 they took the ball on the coin toss (always defer)

#2 Everyone is arguing that IF they would have not called the push off (witch watched at real speed from behind probably looked diffrent than the replay) it would have been a TD, well IF Ike Taylor would have held onto the interception he dropped earlier in the drive they wouldn't of had any points at all.

#3 Seattle's Punting was horrific......they couldn't pin the Steelers inside the 20 when they had 5 tries punting from midfield...all went into the endzone.

#4 5 of 17 on 3rd down conversions.

#5 They tried and missed 2 47 yd plus feildgoals on 4th down, when on third down in both cases they took shots at teh endzone from 30 yds out instead of trying to get 8 yds for a 1st.

#6 Clock management, not only at the end of the game, the whole game seattle had the ball allot but couldn't sustain anything see #4.

#7 What happend to the 5 yd out? They used it for 1 drive and stopped.

#8 Drops....Steven's won't be walking down any dark alleys anytime soon.

#9 Coaching?? What kind of vanilla gameplan was that from Holmgren? No risks, not gambles, no trickery? Just whinning.....

Very well stated. I would think that if I was a Seattle fan I'd be more concerned about all the dropped passes and the ho-hum effort by the MVP rather than the fact they didn't get any of the borderline calls. The only call I really think they got hosed on was the personal foul against Hasselbeck for low block after he threw the interception. It looked like he was trying for the runner, but the other Steeler was right there. I only saw it once though. Hasselbeck seemed to me to be the only skill position player for Seattle giving any bit of extra effort.

I don't believe the Hawks got hosed by the refs, except for the illegal block call on Hasselbeck. But at that point did 15 yards really matter that much? Not nearly a game-changing call. Hasselbeck had already thrown the pick.

The push-off: from the ref's perspective who called the foul, and they had the camera right behind him, it appeared that Jackson's bent arm touched the defender, then he extended it as he went back for the ball. Boom, push-off. You can't call that any other way if you're the ref, standing right behind him.

I also believe Big Ben got in on the QB scramble. It was one of those, whichever way its called, replay is not going to be able to reverse it kind of calls, so the Steelers got lucky. The thing I thought was a tiny bit funny was the ref was ready to signal 4th down, but then changed his mind. But I still think he got in...:whoknows:

I can't believe Rothlisberger was that terrible. Has to be the worst performance by a winning quarterback I've ever seen. He was really playing well in the playoffs up until yesterday, and then it just all fell apart. Oh well, lucky for him his team pulled it out, otherwise that performance would be hanging over his head for a long time.

I don't buy the "bad calls" excuse. The offensive PI in the end zone WAS offensive PI. It was a light push-off, but it was still a push-off, OBVIOUSLY. It doesn't take a lot of force to create the necessary separation. It was a good call. Sorry, whiners.

Also Big Ben did appear to barely get the ball in on the TD run. It was very very close, but there's no way you can say conclusively that it wasn't a TD (like Wilbon stupidly did). So it has to be a TD. Sorry again, whiners!

Michael Jordan pushed off the Jazz defender more than Jackson pushed off last night. Jordan, of course, got the call. As Marv Albert called it live: "Jordan breaks free!" You never see that push off call on a broken play like that for a TD in the SuperBowl (or anything close) when the receiver is breaking away from the defender. Even the hesitated calls, like this one and the goal line call, went the Steelers way. It was very obvious the refs were affected by the home crowd.

Archived