Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

shame on all you who talk of trading lavar

SkinsFan13

i just see talk about it on these boards and i dont like it one bit. lavar is a redskin through an through and i remember not to long ago how much we all worshipped him. hes out for a while has some small issues and all the sudden we lose faith?

Your entitled to your opinion but i just cant see how a true redskin fan could turn on a player that is so dedicated to his team. im sure there has been posts about this, so you can play the little beating dead horse thing. Or you can hate on the fact that he said some stuff he regrets in an interview. Which also was a little twisted to fit the reporters peice. but the bottom line is imo this man was and is a true redskin for life. 56:helmet:

I dont think its a matter of turning on a player when in this day and age the free agent market seperates more players from teams and fans. i am as big a fan of the redskins and Lavar as anyone....but if I am forced to choose because of salary cap hell, I will be the first to hold the door for Lavar.The Redskins need to do whats good for the TEAM...not whats good for Lavar, Champ,Smoots or anyone else that wants a paycheck.......I dont make it personal...hell I want someone to show me the money too.....after they get paid then and only then is it about the ring.........only rare athletes compete for the love of the game these days.

I like Lavar, but the guy missed virtually all of last season and half of this season.

Even if he was fully healthy, is he worth the contract we gave him?

Answer: No. I'm all for him restructuring and giving him another shot next season to prove himself. But that would be it. Considering the amount of money he's making, I expect him to play like he did in that Tampa playoff game, practically every game. If he doesn't, then he can leave. I'd still like to give him one more shot though with a full healthy off-season.

Look, Lavar is a redskins and there is no questioning that. But Gibbs and others have said it over and over again.....we are going to do whats best for the team. Lavar hasn't been playing like he use to and others have stepped into his spot at linebacker and have had more production. There is a reason why we started taking him out of 3rd down packages and thats is because he is not as versatile as he use to be.

I love lavar as much as anyone to but i would have to agree that the minute there is one or even two people out there that can do your job better than you then you become a liability and your team is going to suffer.

1. No player is bigger than the team

1(a) If you are in favor of keeping a player that would be to the team's detriment, then you are no fan of the team. (This is a general statement and does not presume that keeping Lavar is detrimental to the team.)

2. At his current salary, Lavar is vastly overpaid. Unless something can be worked out with regard to his contract, he is not worth keeping at that salary. He does more harm than good with the cap costs he presents for us now and in the future.

3. It depends on what kind of value we can get, but I am not opposed to dishing him if it improves the overall talent on the team and fills some holes. He's a great guy, but he's not irreplaceable.

In Sum,

Shame on you for criticizing those who are looking out for the team!

i just see talk about it on these boards and i dont like it one bit. lavar is a redskin through an through and i remember not to long ago how much we all worshipped him. hes out for a while has some small issues and all the sudden we lose faith?

Your entitled to your opinion but i just cant see how a true redskin fan could turn on a player that is so dedicated to his team. im sure there has been posts about this, so you can play the little beating dead horse thing. Or you can hate on the fact that he said some stuff he regrets in an interview. Which also was a little twisted to fit the reporters peice. but the bottom line is imo this man was and is a true redskin for life. 56:helmet:

Sometimes I'd be willing to trade Lavar for a ban on all Lavar threads.

Something to keep in mind for everyone concerning the Arrington situation.

His current cap number is $12 million. That's kinda high for any one player, It's like 11% of the cap for a team that must have 53 players. Not gonna fly.

His cap number if we trade him is $12 million. That's kinda high for any one player who is NO LONGER ON THE TEAM and you have to pay his replacement...

His cap number if we release him is $12 million. Uh not to repeat myself but that's kinda high for one player who is NO LONGER ON THE TEAM and you have to pay a replacement.

So the ONLY way as of NOW to get that cap number down is for him to restructure. Seems like the best thing for the Redskins is to keep him and have him restructure...

Now this all changes if the CBA DOES get extended BEFORE March 3, but for now the best thing is to keep Lavar...

Winning cures a lot, he was mad when we were losing and when he was not playing. I bet you that he will work his ass off now that he knows we have a shot at the superbowl.

He was also mad when we were winning and he wasn't playing, such as the first three games of the year.

It would be nice to see a guy work out of pride and a sense of brotherhood, not because the team has a chance of winning. I'd rather the "heart" of our team not have so many skipped beats.

I like Lavar and hope he stays, but if he is a "redskin through an through" he will restructure to help the team.

I love Lav ar. Remember him well playing for Penn State. He has been a fantastic Redskin during very lean times. I believe that at this stage of his career he is over paid. I believe we can spend less and get as much production with the system we have. Unfortunately we can not trade or release him because of the salary cap. As said earlier the only thing we can do is restruture his contract and hope he gets back in All-Pro Form and become a dominant player. He needs to stop thinking of himself and thinking more for the team. He has been very well paid.

I dont think its a matter of turning on a player when in this day and age the free agent market seperates more players from teams and fans. i am as big a fan of the redskins and Lavar as anyone....but if I am forced to choose because of salary cap hell, I will be the first to hold the door for Lavar.The Redskins need to do whats good for the TEAM...not whats good for Lavar, Champ,Smoots or anyone else that wants a paycheck.......I dont make it personal...hell I want someone to show me the money too.....after they get paid then and only then is it about the ring.........only rare athletes compete for the love of the game these days.

Getting rid of Lavar won't help our cap situation at all..

Thank You have a nice day.

Look, Lavar is a redskins and there is no questioning that. But Gibbs and others have said it over and over again.....we are going to do whats best for the team. Lavar hasn't been playing like he use to and others have stepped into his spot at linebacker and have had more production. There is a reason why we started taking him out of 3rd down packages and thats is because he is not as versatile as he use to be.

I love lavar as much as anyone to but i would have to agree that the minute there is one or even two people out there that can do your job better than you then you become a liability and your team is going to suffer.

"others have stepped into his spot at linebacker and have had more production."

Who Warrick Holdman? ok Lemar had a good year his position two seasons ago, but that doesn't give us another WOLB

i stand by my post, yes there is no one person above the team, that doesnt mean you ignore or get rid of faithful dedicated players. and im sorry but there hasnt been anyone that has replaced lavars position and done it better in the last 2 years. all of you are so quick to trade someone that a couple years ago, you loved. i guess thats football but its not my kinda football. as for the cap, droppin his contract a couple mill isnt going to change that much, but yea if he is a true redskin he will restructure.

Silly question that runs through my head whenever I read this thread (or the 8 thousand like it).

At your present job, would you offer to restructure the contract you signed to make less money, so that they can bring in someone else? And wold you give 2 nickels about what people thought of you if you didn't? Better yet would you turn to one of those critical individuals and say something like "why don't you restructure"? Real world; be honest now. ;)

No more Lavar Threads for the next month, please!!!!!

I agree, even though I only have one redskin jersey and it's #56. I also think the front office is more to blame than anyone. They "had" flat out idiots, including Snyder, in the front office before JG came along. Paying guys top dollar, knowing you are going to have to pay eventually, will get you everytime.

From Lavar's postion, I probably wouldn't renegotiate because you have to look out for yourself first. In corporate America CEOs get paid, regardless of bankruptcy, even thought their first priority is maximizing thier shareholder's profit. To my understanding, he has renegotiated twice and signed the new deal the offseason before he got hurt ('04). I truly believe the Skins, regardless of how well he does on the field, will never pay him what they agreed to in the first place. I am the biggest fan of Lavar but I truly belive he will not retire as a Redskin. He will be either released this year or in the next few years because his salary is escalating and they will never be able to pay that ridiculous contract. Unfortunately, the front office is to blame.

Silly question that runs through my head whenever I read this thread (or the 8 thousand like it).

At your present job, would you offer to restructure the contract you signed to make less money, so that they can bring in someone else? And wold you give 2 nickels about what people thought of you if you didn't? Better yet would you turn to one of those critical individuals and say something like "why don't you restructure"? Real world; be honest now. ;)

From Lavar's postion, I probably wouldn't renegotiate because you have to look out for yourself first. In corporate America CEOs get paid, regardless of bankruptcy, even thought their first priority is maximizing thier shareholder's profit

My point exactly :D

Sometimes what's good for the team is showing some loyalty to a player who has been here and had to go through the bad times. On ESPN Steve Young commended the Steelers for sticking by Bettis when a lot of team would have cut him and the team rallied around him. Lavar still is a good player and can be a dominant player with a full offseason of conditioning under his belt now that he's healthy.

Work out a compromise on the contract and maintain some stability here. If we cut Lavar we take a huge cap hit PLUS we will have to use resources that we can set aside for a DE/WR on a replacement linebacker.

Archived