Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A little CNN bashing

Sarge

So, ever since these cartoons of mohammed came out, CNN has been putting this little disclaimer in articles related to the situation

CNN has chosen to not show the cartoons out of respect for Islam

But they didn't seem to have a problem a couple of years back printing things that could be offensive to Christians. Or maybe they just knew christains won't burn down CNN HQ for doing it :rolleyes:

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/STYLE/arts/03/27/museum.flap/index.html

New York, Brooklyn museum settle funding dispute

Giuliani and the Brookyn Museum locked horns over the controversial "sensation" exhibit

March 27, 2000

Web posted at: 5:28 p.m. EST (2228 GMT)

From CNN Producer Phil Hirschkorn

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The Brooklyn Museum of Art's dispute with New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani has been resolved, according to a court order released Monday.

In a wide-ranging settlement, the museum and the city have agreed to drop their separate legal actions against one another, stemming from last year's controversial "Sensation" exhibit.

"Everything is being dropped," said Floyd Abrams, attorney for the museum. "There is no more litigation about this."

In November, the museum scored a key victory when a federal judge ordered the city to restore public funding to it. U.S. District Court Judge Nina Gershon then enjoined the city from "taking any steps to inflict any punishment, retaliation, discrimination or sanction of any kind."

Monday's settlement makes that injunction permanent, protecting city-government funding that amounts to a $7 million annual subsidy.

The settlement also forces the city to suspend its effort to evict the museum from the city-owned building it leases. And, according to the court order, Giuliani has agreed to include an additional $5.8 million in the city's executive budget for physical improvements to the museum's building.

Chris Ofili's "The Holy Virgin Mary"

"Today's result is overdue," Abrams said at an afternoon news conference. "Mayor Giuliani should have never started this destructive fight with the First Amendment and should surely have agreed to stop it long ago."

Mayoral reaction

The attorney representing the mayor and the city said he was "gratified" by the settlement.

"It's time to end the hostilities on both sides, in terms of court proceedings," said Michael Hess, Corporation Counsel for the City of New York, at a news conference.

But Hess said he does not view the settlement as a victory for anyone. And he said, the mayor was able to raise legitimate concerns about the exhibit.

"Part of that exhibit was obviously religion-bashing," Hess said. "And the mayor took exception to that and rightly so.

"The issue of whether taxpayer money needs, and should, be used for a religion-bashing kind of exhibit like that is a legitimate legal issue to be litigated. Maybe, some day, it will come up to the Supreme Court and we'll see what they might say on an issue like that."

Last fall, the city, under the direction of Giuliani, had withheld monthly payments to the museum because of Giuliani's objections to the show's painting, "The Holy Virgin Mary" by British artist Chris Ofili. He used elephant dung and images of female genitalia in that work.

Giuliani maintained the painting desecrated religious beliefs of a substantial portion of the community.

And that... my friends.... is the Communist National Network in a nutshell. They'll protect the feelings of those of other religions..... but have absolutely no qualms hiding behind the "freedom of speech" convenience when protecting the right of some entity to defile a Christian religious symbol here in the US..... something that will OBVIOUSLY adversely affect millions of Christians here in the US.

I'm quite sure they're supporting an effort to take the American Flag out of classrooms across the country.... because they feel it might offend foreign exchange students from predominately Islamic practicing nations. It's digusting..... and it's why I continue to declare.... Liberalism... the enemy within.

The situtations are different, and I'm sure you could see the difference if you wanted to.

Are you suggesting that it would be responsible for CNN to post cartoons that they could be pretty darn sure would invite violence against American targets in the Middle East at a very volatile time?

So, ever since these cartoons of mohammed came out, CNN has been putting this little disclaimer in articles related to the situation

But they didn't seem to have a problem a couple of years back printing things that could be offensive to Christians. Or maybe they just knew christains won't burn down CNN HQ for doing it :rolleyes:

And if they posted them Sarge, you would be complaining that they were placing thier ratings over the security of our country. Your disdain for CNN and Muslims is past the range of rational thought Sarge, they will never win no matter what they do, you have been propagandized to the point of believing it is reality, so when ever something comes up that agrees with your illogial thoughts, you say Ahh Haa!!! See, I told you so, while ignoring all things which don't agree with your partisan view of reality.

The situtations are different, and I'm sure you could see the difference if you wanted to.

Are you suggesting that it would be responsible for CNN to post cartoons that they could be pretty darn sure would invite violence against American targets in the Middle East at a very volatile time?

Why not? As I said, they have no problem showing a picture of Mary covered in feces. Is there a differnece I'm missing?

Is it cool to publish one because they know there will be no buildings burnt down, and yet not publish the other because of the opposite?

And if they posted them Sarge, you would be complaining that they were placing thier ratings over the security of our country. Your disdain for CNN and Muslims is past the range of rational thought Sarge, they will never win no matter what they do, you have been propagandized to the point of believing it is reality, so when ever something comes up that agrees with your illogial thoughts, you say Ahh Haa!!! See, I told you so, while ignoring all things which don't agree with your partisan view of reality.

Pot this is kettle, you are black.

Why not? As I said, they have no problem showing a picture of Mary covered in feces. Is there a differnece I'm missing?

Is it cool to publish one because they know there will be no buildings burnt down, and yet not publish the other because of the opposite?

Pretty much sums it up. That is, unless you somehow want our American consulates to get the same treatment that the consulates of Denmark are getting right now.

Can you really blame a company with foriegn assets for not wanting to have them burned down and their reporters killed? I can't. It's one thing to be a national paper far from the middle east and do it, entirely another when you are CNN and you have people on the ground in these places.

Pretty much sums it up. That is, unless you somehow want our American consulates to get the same treatment that the consulates of Denmark are getting right now.

So now there are two different standards? It's OK to **** on Christianity but not islam. Don't want to offend terrorists, huh?

20060204FilibusterCartoons.gif

So now there are two different standards? It's OK to **** on Christianity but not islam. Don't want to offend terrorists, huh?

Sarge, why are you playing dumb? Everyone reading this knows exactly why the standards are different. The consequences are different. If you “**** on Christianity” as you put it the results are not death and destruction. Maybe you think being consistent is worth the lives of your employees Sarge, but I’d venture a guess that not everyone feels the same way.

The one thing I find interesting in all this is how quickly the highly critical europeans are coming to realize just what it is they are dealing with here.

Sarge, why are you playing dumb? Everyone reading this knows exactly why the standards are different. The consequences are different. If you “**** on Christianity” as you put it the results are not death and destruction. Maybe you think being consistent is worth the lives of your employees Sarge, but I’d venture a guess that not everyone feels the same way.

The one thing I find interesting in all this is how quickly the highly critical europeans are coming to realize just what it is they are dealing with here.

Not being dense, just wanted someone from your side to admit that there is a double standard, especially from CNN

As for the Europians, I have no sympathy. They are reaping what they have sown for the last few years by letting all the riff raff into their countries

Archived