Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Schools of Reeducation

AJ_Skins

Joe Stalin would be proud.

Schools os Reeducation?

By Frederick M. Hess

Sunday, February 5, 2006; Page B07

For those who have been troubled by the tendency of universities to adopt campus speech codes, a worrisome new fad is rearing its head in the nation's schools of education. Stirred by professional opinion and accreditation pressures, teachers colleges have begun to regulate the dispositions and beliefs of those who would teach in our nation's classrooms.

At the University of Alabama, the College of Education explains that it is "committed to preparing individuals to promote social justice, to be change agents, and to recognize individual and institutionalized racism, sexism, homophobia, and classism." To promote its agenda, part of the program's self-proclaimed mission is to train teachers to "develop anti-racist, anti-homophobic, anti-sexist . . . alliances."

The University of Alaska at Fairbanks School of Education declares on its Web site: "Teachers often profess 'colorblindness' . . . which is at worst patronizing and at best naïve, because race and culture profoundly affect what is known and how it is known."

Post just the link and the first few graphs. Thanks. -- Henry

This is "the enemy" to you? No one gives a damn that Christian or conservative school do this all the time, and yes many do take government funds. But when you feel the other side of the political spectrum is engaging in the same tricks they are "the enemy" and are a threat.

Joe Stalin would indeed be proud.

This is "the enemy" to you? No one gives a damn that Christian or conservative school do this all the time, and yes many do take government funds. But when you feel the other side of the political spectrum is engaging in the same tricks they are "the enemy" and are a threat.

What public universities are "christian conservative"?

Purdue's pretty darn conservative. There was a huge pro-life display on the mall here with graphic pictures of aborted fetuses and things like that. It was absolutely disgusting. I'm pro-life, but I don't feel that was appropriate, especially with the elementary-school trips and things like that which come by the campus fairly regularly.

EDIT: By the way, I don't mean 6"x9" photographs you could ignore, there was an 8' tall wall of posters that made a circle around the whole mall. You couldn't miss it.

I never said they were public, I said they accepted public funding. It's a question of how much they take, not if they take. Even Bob Jones had the choice to accept public funding and only had to just barely change their practices which were at the time very racist.

But if you want a conservative school you don't even have to leave the DC area, go to George Mason Univ. While I attended we had everything from anti-gay demonstrations to conservative talk show hosts doing shows from the cafeteria.

Or ignore the fact that there are many conservative schools to choose from and continue to dub those that disagree with you "the enemy" and champion the cause of silencing your opposition all while accusing them of doing the same. Like the article said, Stalin would be proud.

I never said they were public, I said they accepted public funding. It's a question of how much they take, not if they take. Even Bob Jones had the choice to accept public funding and only had to just barely change their practices which were at the time very racist.

But if you want a conservative school you don't even have to leave the DC area, go to George Mason Univ. While I attended we had everything from anti-gay demonstrations to conservative talk show hosts doing shows from the cafeteria.

Or ignore the fact that there are many conservative schools to choose from and continue to dub those that disagree with you "the enemy" and champion the cause of silencing your opposition all while accusing them of doing the same. Like the article said, Stalin would be proud.

I know there are what could be considered a few "conservative" schools, but they are mostly privately funded and accept very little tax payer money.

Honestly, I think Private schools should have the freedom to tenure on whatever basis they deem fit.

I think Tenure for public schools should be either outlawed or tested heavily for balnce in views among the faculty.

If you enroll at a Christian college you know what is expected of you. The majority of students in this country can't afford to go to a private school anyway. All colleges are funded publically in one form or another, including private schools (I would consider scholarship money from a Lions club an example). Obviously some way more than others.

However if you are a conservative father of four mexican children attending a liberal arts college and told you can't graduate unless you have sensitivity training, it's wrong. Public funded schools should be teaching facts and tips to become a good teacher, not force an agenda on it's future teachers. They should also allow its students to find what works for them. Also to prevent someone from graduating because they got an A- on a paper on corporal punishment is agenda driven and they took an opportunity away from a person who appears he is deserving of a degree.

If you enroll at a Christian college you know what is expected of you. The majority of students in this country can't afford to go to a private school anyway. All colleges are funded publically in one form or another, including private schools (I would consider scholarship money from a Lions club an example). Obviously some way more than others.

However if you are a conservative father of four mexican children attending a liberal arts college and told you can't graduate unless you have sensitivity training, it's wrong. Public funded schools should be teaching facts and tips to become a good teacher, not force an agenda on it's future teachers. They should also allow its students to find what works for them. Also to prevent someone from graduating because they got an A- on a paper on corporal punishment is agenda driven and they took an opportunity away from a person who appears he is deserving of a degree.

Good post!

I feel the need to explain that LeMoyne college is a private Jesuit school and they most likely were upset about a corporal punishment paper. I disagree with them entirely on what they did, but I can understand why it happened in that one case.

And all this time I was thinking it was terrorists that make us go boom and cut off our heads.

Thank goodness we don't have to worry about them any more...whew.

Anyone up for a fun vacation to Persian Gulf.

(I do share a lot of concerns about the undeniable liberal indoctrination that goes on at many public universities...but come on, "the enemy"?)

Purdue's pretty darn conservative. There was a huge pro-life display on the mall here with graphic pictures of aborted fetuses and things like that. It was absolutely disgusting. I'm pro-life, but I don't feel that was appropriate, especially with the elementary-school trips and things like that which come by the campus fairly regularly.

EDIT: By the way, I don't mean 6"x9" photographs you could ignore, there was an 8' tall wall of posters that made a circle around the whole mall. You couldn't miss it.

Dude they did that even at Maryland (unaffiliated groups), and the school is way liberal over here and reminded us during every class just how liberal. The abortion thing was only for like a day or two, and considering the other displays on campus...not that offensive.

Why would you not graduate if you get an A-???

MOST colleges require ethics as a class you must take before graduation is there something wrong with that? Yet another straw man posed by the republican media to make it look like they are the repressed group. Look around people, you control the presidency, house, senate and now the supreme court, talk radio and most of mainstream media at what point do you realize you are the opressors not the opressed? When there is no voice from the otherside at all?

Why would you not graduate if you get an A-???

MOST colleges require ethics as a class you must take before graduation is there something wrong with that? Yet another straw man posed by the republican media to make it look like they are the repressed group. Look around people, you control the presidency, house, senate and now the supreme court, talk radio and most of mainstream media at what point do you realize you are the opressors not the opressed? When there is no voice from the otherside at all?

You had me until "Mainstream media"! :laugh:t

There is no "straw man" in any way, shape, or form. The public university environment is almost radical in it's leftward slant in today's environment. It simply can't even be debated when you view it from the top.

BTW, even though it seems like it was a million years ago, when i was in college (state university of NY) I had to take a bio-ethics class.

At that time I was much more liberal leaning as I had not experienced the realities of adult and family life yet.

The class was excellent in overall balance and I really enjoyed learning two sides to the bio-ethics debate. We left it with an overall message that bio-ethics is a very personal choice dependant upon you personal POV.

It's also the class where I was first presented the theory that Roe V wade will ultimately become a right to life supporting decision if left in place for many more years.

Yet another straw man posed by the republican media to make it look like they are the repressed group.

The Washington Post is "the Republican media" now? :rolleyes:

Look around people, you control the presidency, house, senate and now the supreme court, talk radio and most of mainstream media at what point do you realize you are the opressors not the opressed? When there is no voice from the otherside at all?

Left-wing extremists control the educational system, with the distinct difference being that they are accountable neither to the voters, consumers, nor shareholders. The have locked themselves into absolute control and they squash dissent, going to the lengths, as shown in this article, of destroying the careers of students who don't toe the line. I'd say that's a big deal, and until the system is fixed, it will continue to be.

The Washington Post is "the Republican media" now? :rolleyes:

Did I say that? This is a pro-republican editorial.

Left-wing extremists control the educational system, with the distince difference being that they are accountable neither to the voters, consumers, nor shareholders. The have locked themselves in to absolute control and squash dissent, going to the lengths, as shown in this article, of destroying the careers of students who don't toe the line. I'd say that's a big deal, and until the system is fixed, it will continue to be.

Left wing extremists do NOT control the educational system, that is just an outright lie. Well, let me re-phrase that, they maybe left wing extremists to you, but so is Colin Powell and John McCain. Your perception of the world is skewed because of your political position, but ti is not the reality everyone else lives in, just you, Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Coltier, Malkin, O'Reilly, Carlson, Hume, and the rest of your media gang.

You also have no freakin clue as to what professors do, how they teach and your statement is offensive to any person in higher education. You are the problem with society, and you can't even see it. You CLAIM things that are not true, hold up your straw man, label the other side as the "enemy" and think you are right. You are in fact completely wrong on this issue, I have been to college yet I never had a single professor claim to do waht you said. I also have numerous friends who have been to college and neither has experienced the straw man you profess is the way our education is. In fact, I would venture a guess that you have never been to college or have never experienced this so-called opression yourself, yet you feel the urge or the need tell everyone how "opressed" conservatives are.

Like I stated earlier, when do you realize that you are the opresser, not the one being opressed?

Did I say that? This is a pro-republican editorial.

Where does it mention the Republican Party? I missed that part.

Left wing extremists do NOT control the educational system, that is just an outright lie. Well, let me re-phrase that, they maybe left wing extremists to you, but so is Colin Powell and John McCain.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:insane: :insane: :insane:

You think these people are on the same part of the spectrum as McCain and Powell?!?!?!?!?!?! :rotflmao:

Let's see how their views on Iraq stack up, eh?

You are in fact completely wrong on this issue, I have been to college and I never had a single professor claim to do waht you said. I also have numerous friends who have been to college and neither has experienced the straw man you profess it the way our education is. In fact, I would venture a guess that you have never been to college and have never experienced this so-called opression yourself, yet you feel the urge or the need tell everyone how "opressed" conservatives are.

I have in fact been to college...studying right now for the CPA exam. Thanks again for reminding me of the interminable arrogance of liberals, though.

Like I stated earlier, when do you realize that you are the opresser, not the one being opressed?

Injustice is injustice. Just because it's being inflicted by a minority against the majority does not make it alright. And make no mistake...you are in the minority. As for me personally being an "oppressor"...do I have the right to free speech or not?

You had me until "Mainstream media"! :laugh:t

There is no "straw man" in any way, shape, or form. The public university environment is almost radical in it's leftward slant in today's environment. It simply can't even be debated when you view it from the top.

How can you actually claim this "the public university environment is radical in its leftward slant"

when in the EXACT SAME POST you claim otherwise???

BTW, even though it seems like it was a million years ago, when i was in college (state university of NY) I had to take a bio-ethics class.

At that time I was much more liberal leaning as I had not experienced the realities of adult and family life yet.

The class was excellent in overall balance and I really enjoyed learning two sides to the bio-ethics debate. We left it with an overall message that bio-ethics is a very personal choice dependant upon you personal POV.

It's also the class where I was first presented the theory that Roe V wade will ultimately become a right to life supporting decision if left in place for many more years.

It seems to me if both sides were balanced then it was not a "radical left" stance that you were taught.

I like you skin, but sometimes you follow the piper to much, your own experience is not the college is a radical leftist environment, but that you were actually taught the other side.

If college was actually as your straw man argument is, then you would NEVER have been exposed to the otherside of the Roe V Wade coin.

In fact universities purposely encourage debate. . .what you guys want is outright supression of the other side, it is fascist and tyrannical ideologically speaking, you guys just don't see the argument.

People go to those schools knowing they are Christian. I did not come to school to listen to some unmarried 50 year old woman spit hatred toward Bush in some english class.

Injustice is injustice. Just because it's being inflicted by a minority against the majority does not make it alright. And make no mistake...you are in the minority. As for me personally being an "oppressor"...do I have the right to free speech or not?

Wow, you talk about the right to free speech, but a bit ago in a different thread you bring up teh guy who said the gay guy was in hell. Thats free speech. Yet you bring it up.

People go to those schools knowing they are Christian. I did not come to school to listen to some unmarried 50 year old woman spit hatred toward Bush in some english class.

My semester abroad was pretty much all of that, from VT business professors no less. When one of our professors called Bill Clinton a conservative I laughed, and knew what kind of "political" semester I was in for

I have to admit, I couldn't stop smiling that day in Rome when I found out the Republicans dominated the 2002 midterm elections and seeing just how ticked my professors were over that

Other then the absurd political opinions they espouged, they were pretty awesome guys, just got old when every other class I kept hearing "Shrub made another bonehead decision today"

Oh yeah, their anti-religious diatrabe got old also. While they did their very best to respect me during Ramadan the questions of "what is the practical use of fasting, why was it started, because you know there had to have been a practical reson to starve yourself" implying it was not divine ticked me off a bit.

I'll add another example. Freshmen year of college was the fall of 2000 which was the election between Bush and Gore. My God the nonsense I heard

I was taking sociology that semester and for the most part it was a very good class with a very interesting professor. But when he made the statement about the election that "Bush has no clue what is going on, Gore does but does nothing about it" I officialy had my first "encounter" with a liberal professor in college

Of course leading up to election day the attacks on GWB grew more and more, rather then a "fair and balanced" discussion of the 2 candidates. And during the re-count, my goodness, I wanted to shoot myself because every class I heard from this guy how Republicans were robbing this nation of a fair election

For a fairly conservative student body at VT, a majority of my professors were liberal as hell. The only semester they STFU was the 9/11 semester

Just to be balanced in my post, I did have several economics professors who were pretty solid. One had us read PJ O'Rouke, another talked about the problems with the federal gov't spending too much since the 1960s, and my middle eastern economics class was a very fair look at our long term middle east policy, past decisions our nation made in the middle east, and a look at the long term oil market, without the partisan rancor that my liberal professors had for Bush

Where does it mention the Republican Party? I missed that part.

You are a complete moron if you think this story is not one backed by the republican party.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:insane: :insane: :insane:

You think these people are on the same part of the spectrum as McCain and Powell?!?!?!?!?!?! :rotflmao:

Let's see how their views on Iraq stack up, eh?

Ummm, ideologically speaking, they are almost EXACTLY where I stand, maybe if you cleared the fog from your eyes, and removed the blinders you have on, you would see where their issues are on EVERYTHING. Why don't you start by acting not like a dolt with your "the enemy is among us and they are liberal" BS, but try to rational debate ANY topic with me. Instead all you can do is pose petty insults which only show your lack of knowledge on any and every subject. You are nothing more then a radical neo-fascist masquarading as a republican, you just miss the position of your views because you are to busy planting straw men to knock down.

You are the in the same group as people who actually call Luckydevil a liberal activist, even though his opinions are strictly libertarian. You have no clue as to what actual party platforms are, or to what your actual party is doing, but that's OK, keep your head buried in the sand and pop out every now and then to make a fool of yourself, it adds to the enjoyment of others.

The war does not make me a liberal, you like to think that it does, but it has nothing to do with ideology, in fact, if there was a liberal in the White House, you would be 100% dead set against the war, I know you would. Me, OTOH, would be exactly in the same position as I am now. It should show you that you are nothing other then a mindless drone, and I actually back my ideology not my party. It is a shame the neo-cons have made the republicans abandon their platform of the "Contract for America" but at least you guys have shown your true colors.

I have in fact been to college...studying right now for the CPA exam. Thanks again for reminding me of the interminable arrogance of liberals, though.

And is your experience one of being "repressed" by those radical extreme leftist professors? How have you managed to graduate if only extremist professors teach at college? You are a walking contradiction, you just completely miss the irony of your above post. . . but then again, I'm not suprised.

I am in the minority? I think you should take a look at the polls, and see where exactly YOU are, especially concerning the matters of the day, because it is YOU who is in the minority.

Better for the country if:

Today September

Democrats win control 44% 40%

Republicans win control 33 32

Democratic edge +11 +8

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/poll_011206.pdf

From Foxnews none the less :doh: There goes that straw man. . .any more lies you want me to rip apart, or will you go back and bury your head in the sand again Mr. Ostrich?

Oh man, I WISH left wing extremists controlled the educational system. Could someone point me to a university that has these extremists? I am tired of learning facts and knowledge and that worthless crap, I want an ideological school! Someone hook a brother up.

No left wing extremists, but you can go to a college with right wing extremists, as Bob Jones University was already brouoght up in this thread.

Wow, you talk about the right to free speech, but a bit ago in a different thread you bring up teh guy who said the gay guy was in hell. Thats free speech. Yet you bring it up.

Did I say anything AGAINST free speech? Did I say the guy was wrong? Did I say he had no right to protest?

The answer is of course NO, you just have the audacity to think I am opposed of his protesting. I am not, I was pointing out that the only people who actually protest at funerals, and protest offensively BTW, are republican extremists. They have every right to do so, but they are tasteless in doing it.

Next time, try not to jump to conclusions about my beliefs, you guys always do this because you THINK you know my positions, but the true fact is that you haven't a clue, this is a perfect example of it.

My semester abroad was pretty much all of that, from VT business professors no less. When one of our professors called Bill Clinton a conservative I laughed, and knew what kind of "political" semester I was in for

I have to admit, I couldn't stop smiling that day in Rome when I found out the Republicans dominated the 2002 midterm elections and seeing just how ticked my professors were over that

Other then the absurd political opinions they espouged, they were pretty awesome guys, just got old when every other class I kept hearing "Shrub made another bonehead decision today"

I'll add another example. Freshmen year of college was the fall of 2000 which was the election between Bush and Gore. My God the nonsense I heard

I was taking sociology that semester and for the most part it was a very good class with a very interesting professor. But when he made the statement about the election that "Bush has no clue what is going on, Gore does but does nothing about it" I officialy had my first "encounter" with a liberal professor in college

Of course leading up to election day the attacks on GWB grew more and more, rather then a "fair and balanced" discussion of the 2 candidates. And during the re-count, my goodness, I wanted to shoot myself because every class I heard from this guy how Republicans were robbing this nation of a fair election

For a fairly conservative student body at VT, a majority of my professors were liberal as hell. The only semester they STFU was the 9/11 semester

Also, you were in sociology classes and international classes, I mean, what did you expect? In my Econ classes, I expect my teachers to be Libertarians or Republicans, I do not mind hearing their political opinions because they will not change mine (go socialism!). And perhaps a conservative student body having liberal professors helps spark better debate and understanding. Would you prefer to go someplace where everyone agreed with your political beliefs? Because that is what the article sounds like. Now, you may then point to the article and say "they are forcing their liberal propaganda onto us" well then you do not have to attend a public school. Just like I do not have to attend a private christian school. When I got into UVA I horrified my mother when I told her I did not want to go there, and I did not want to tell her that the reason was because a lot of the students and professors are conservative. Because unlike you, I do want to go to a place where everyone agrees with me :).

Archived