Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Defensive Tackles

Tom Sullivan

This year it seemed that the best part of the defensive line (In addition to Phillip Daniels) was the defensive tackles. In the games we played without either Cornelius Griffin or Joe Salave'a there was a great deficiency with pass rush and stopping the run.

I think that perhaps Salave'a and Griffin are two of the most underrated defensive tackles in the NFL, and are perhaps one of the top five tandems at the position on a 4-3 defense, which is what most of the teams run. Does anyone else feel this way?

I don't think there are any better against the run. Big Joe isn't the greatest passrusher, but more than makes up for it against the run. Cornelius is a beast and belongs in the pro bowl. You see what teams did to us when CG didn't play. No pass rush against the Bucs (loss). Tiki for 200 (loss). Etc Etc. Unfortunatelyl, the pro bowl is all about personal stats, if they broke down game film you would see CG there year in and year out.

I think they've done a great job this year when healthy. And contrary to a lot of belief here, we don't need a good pass rushing DE. We need some solid backups at DT. When either Salavea or Griff went down we lost our ability to get pressure. Esp Griff. We need a young guy that can come in and spell either of the two so they don't wear down throughout the year. Griff gets a lot of double-teams which opens it up for Daniels. But those double teams really take a toll on him.

He wouldn't be in until he was with us. He was really bad in New York.

Griff was actually pretty good in New York but he played in the shadow of Mike Strahan and rightfully so. I think we need at least a third starter-quality DT to work in the rotation with these guys. They did great when they were both in but had a little bit of injury problems and a third DT would help to keep them fresh.

Archived