Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

per KFFL&John Clayton,Reggie Wayne to be franchised

chow184

Colts | Wayne likely to be franchised

Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:36:44 -0800

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Indianapolis Colts are expected to use their franchise tag on WR Reggie Wayne, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, if they are unable to work out a long-term deal with him before free agency begins.

I have never been on the Wayne bandwagon,and I would rather see us Antonio Bryant or Koren Robinson. both very talented but would probably cost half the price of Wayne.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/03/AR2006020302680.html

click link for full article

Colts' General Manager Says Wayne 'Won't Be a Redskin'

By Howard Bryant

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, February 4, 2006; Page E08

Three days after the Washington Redskins' front office announced it had no interest in pursuing the troubled but talented wide receiver Terrell Owens, the Indianapolis Colts made clear Friday that Reggie Wayne, another high-profile, big-play wideout, won't be available to the Redskins in their search to complement Santana Moss.

Colts General Manager Bill Polian said yesterday that the team will prevent Wayne, 27, from becoming a free agent, either by negotiating a new contract or designating him the team's "franchise player," which would give the club exclusive negotiating rights. Wayne is due to be an unrestricted free agent and, along with Owens, stood to be one of the most coveted wide receivers on the market.

"I can say one thing about Reggie Wayne, and it's he won't be a Redskin," Polian said. "We'll either sign him to a long-term deal or we'll franchise him, but he's not going anywhere."

so he's available for "other" teams? :jerk:

"I can say one thing about Reggie Wayne, and it's he won't be a Redskin," Polian said. "We'll either sign him to a long-term deal or we'll franchise him, but he's not going anywhere."

so he's available for "other" teams? :jerk:

:laugh: :laugh: I wonder in what contex Polian was provoked to say that.

But really, no surprise here. Harrison is reaching the end of his career, and running backs are replacable. I just pray that this will halt the Extremeskins obsession with R.W.

I really dont think Reggie Wayne is that good. I think he is a product of a ssyten in which he is surrounded by all-stars and an insanely good QB. Maybe its good that we dont overpay to get him and settle for Brandon Lloyd.
i disagree...RW is good....have u watched him play? yeah manning throws good balls but he's made some hard catches and plenty of nice runs after the catch.....i'm not saying that we take him....i'm just sayin he is a good wr......he was great at miami too

I really do not believe that Wayne is a product of the system, the guy runs PERFECT routes and has the stickiest hands...he is a gamer for sure, thats why they wont let him go. What the hell is up with Polian calling out the Skins? Not a good poker face...

I really dont think Reggie Wayne is that good. I think he is a product of a ssyten in which he is surrounded by all-stars and an insanely good QB. Maybe its good that we dont overpay to get him and settle for Brandon Lloyd.

Brandon Lloyd is a restricted free agent who is definately going to be resigned by the 49ers.

I would rather us not go after Wayne. He is a very good player, but he is a superstar because of Manning and Harrison. You take them away, and Wayne is nowhere near as good.

I think Wayne is just another Peerless Price waiting to happen. An EXCELLENT #2 in a good system, but someone is going to drasticly overpay for him hoping he can take the next step up to a #1. While we have a legit #1 now in Moss, the asking price for Wayne will be too high because of all the places that think he will be a great #1... we do not need him here. We are better off saving the cash.

Dunno, but I'd love to see Edge go to the Panthers (my #2 team).

As far as WRs go, I have a lot of confidence that the coaches will make a good decision based on talent, fit in the schemes, and cost. I tend to think that a bigger dude like Givens would be a better choice than another smallish burner like Randle El (though there's no denying his vast talent), but we'll see. And I definitely think Patten can thrive as a #3 - in fact, he might be able to kill people from the slot.

Guest GIBBSisGOD

Does all this mean that they are close to terms with Freeney? Because why would they franchise wayne if there is the possiblity that they might lose freeney?

Archived