Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's hope no deal is reached

CowboySlayer

What part of the Super Bowl are you most looking forward to?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What part of the Super Bowl are you most looking forward to?

• The game of course, it's football
    • The commercials, it's gonna be a boring Super Bowl.

so, it appears that the current deal between the NFLPA and the NFL is set to expire in 2007. This holds some good news. If no agreement is reached, the NFL salary cap will expire, likely to never return. No salary cap? Good for us, bad for them. :laugh:

http://kevxml2adsl.verizon.net/_1_2KF4TO1023OZMC2__vzn.dsl/apnws/story.htm?kcfg=apart&feed=ap&sin=D8FHPRA00&qcat=sports&passqi=&top=1&ran=20888

An uncapped year would actually be the worst thing you could ask for. It would drive the cost of everything football related through the roof and would just make for a pain when a huge salary is given to some bum. I like the salary cap and the challegne of finding compentent enough people to build a winner every year.

so, it appears that the current deal between the NFLPA and the NFL is set to expire in 2007. This holds some good news. If no agreement is reached, the NFL salary cap will expire, likely to never return. No salary cap? Good for us, bad for them. :laugh:

http://kevxml2adsl.verizon.net/_1_2KF4TO1023OZMC2__vzn.dsl/apnws/story.htm?kcfg=apart&feed=ap&sin=D8FHPRA00&qcat=sports&passqi=&top=1&ran=20888

So we could have a year like the 2k experiment? Signing nothing but names often gets you less than what you started with.

Well, if there's no salary cap, we're happy while Dan Snyder is our owner. What happens if he trades the Redskins to a cheapskate? Then we'll be bummin' in a free-for-all market where we won't be competing. So I think in the long run, having a salary cap sort of protects our downside, if you know what I mean.

However, for now, so long as the ability to cut players and, therefore, not guarantee their salaries remains, then I don't care if there's a salary cap. Once you start guaranteeing contracts a la MLB and NHL, though, you start running into longer term financial troubles in the league. And that's good for no one.

Well, if there's no salary cap, we're happy while Dan Snyder is our owner. What happens if he trades the Redskins to a cheapskate? Then we'll be bummin' in a free-for-all market where we won't be competing. So I think in the long run, having a salary cap sort of protects our downside, if you know what I mean.

However, for now, so long as the ability to cut players and, therefore, not guarantee their salaries remains, then I don't care if there's a salary cap. Once you start guaranteeing contracts a la MLB and NHL, though, you start running into longer term financial troubles in the league. And that's good for no one.

Yes... but as long as Contracts arent guarenteed, then you'll have the TOs in the world imploding franchises. Its a double edged sword!!!!

You need to follow things a lot more carefully to make statements like that. If no agreement is reached soon, the NFLPA will mover to decertify the union and with no union, owners will have to make up the rules. This will leave the NFL very vulnerable to an anti-trust suit by the players and the ensuing chaos.

Trust me, it is very much IN THE SKINS' INTEREST to get a new CBA signed.

You need to follow things a lot more carefully to make statements like that. If no agreement is reached soon, the NFLPA will mover to decertify the union and with no union, owners will have to make up the rules. This will leave the NFL very vulnerable to an anti-trust suit by the players and the ensuing chaos.

Trust me, it is very much IN THE SKINS' INTEREST to get a new CBA signed.

I thought the point was just the salary cap, and not a collective bargaining agreement in total, but your point is spot on. No CBA = Bad.

CBA + No Cap = Short Term Redskins Positive (probably)

An uncapped year would actually be the worst thing you could ask for. It would drive the cost of everything football related through the roof and would just make for a pain when a huge salary is given to some bum. I like the salary cap and the challegne of finding compentent enough people to build a winner every year.

Not to mention I'd like to see Snyder get into a bind, so that maybe it would teach him a lesson.

Let's be honest. The real reason you hope they don't reach an agreement is that you want a strike---and we know what the Redskins do whenever there is an NFL strike! :laugh:

Eddie Cunningham

Let's be honest. The real reason you hope they don't reach an agreement is that you want a strike---and we know what the Redskins do whenever there is an NFL strike! :laugh:

Eddie Cunningham

Win the Super Bowl!!!!! Great response.

The way I see it the NFL and the players union will come to some sort of an agreement. Their will be, IMO, a salary cap in 2007. The league would be chaos if there wasn't one.

Without a salary cap owners like the Bidwell's and Ford's would just let their high priced players go. They are cheap asses and they would go 0-16 because they are cheap asses and they would get what they deserve.

no, there isnt really a double edge. Its bad all around to have no salary cap, and though I have the feeling when Upshaw said his comments about the cap not coming back as a threat, he still is a freakin moron. Hate union managers.

The salary cap is instrumental to football and its success, yes we might be BETTER off than other teams, but that still doesnt make it good.

2 reasons why i hope the cap is reached.

1. Its not fair,would ruin the NFL system.

2. For this reason mainly....

(In the future the deal isnt reached and we have no cap again)

Sean Salisbury: Hahaha! Good one Trey. Afterall if you have deep pockets like the Redskins do you can sign as much free agents as you want. Thats how the Redskins won Super Bowl 41 afterall...

:doh:

Getting rid of the cap would be disasterous. I know how much we all like to win, and we like to be the best team ever, but do we really want to eliminate the smaller market teams from contention? I'm sorry, but as much as I'd like to see the 'Skins win every game they play, I would rather see a high level of competition on the field. Sure the lack of a cap might benefit us now, because we have an owner that isn't afraid of using his wallet, but what happens if when a team starts to out pay us? Do we really want to become the league's punching bag because other teams are paying more than we are?

Keep the Cap.

are we all forgetting that prior to 93 there was no cap? was there all this "wild chaos" you all speak of? no. the league would be fine.

Your short-sightedness should not be confused with evidence. Imagine how much the salaries would have increased from 1993 to 2006. 13 years of Drew Rosenhaus type agents combinded with unrestricted free-agency players all looking for the best deal, would have exploded the salaries, and would have priced many of the smaller market teams out of compitition long ago. The combination of NFL Player's Union, with free agency, and NO salary cap would destroy all but the richest NFL teams. Also remember that there was a reason the cap was instituted to begin with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap#History_of_salary_caps_in_North_America

"Salary caps were largely unnecessary in the era of the reserve clause, which was long a standard clause in professional sports player contracts and which forbade a player from negotiations with another team without the permission of the team holding that player's rights even after the contract's term was completed. This system began to unravel in the 1970s due largely to the activism of players' unions, and the threat of anti-trust legal actions. Although anti-trust actions were not a threat to baseball, which has long been exempt from anti-trust laws, that sport's reserve clause was struck down by a United States arbitrator as a violation of other labor laws of that country. By the 1990s most players with several years' professional experience became free agents upon the expiry of their contracts and were free to negotiate a new contract their previous team or with any other team. This situation led to "bidding wars", which were generally (although not always) won by more affluent teams in larger media markets.

In a response to this and as a way of limiting the damage this did to the competitive balance necessary to maintain fan interest in their sports, in the 1990s both the National Football League and the National Basketball Association negotiated salary cap arrangements with their respective players' unions."

Now imagine the current salary situation, with the removal of the cap. Bad, bad and badder. But, then I probably shouldn't have taken you seriously, S&M clowns. Hmm, can't be good.

Archived