Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC, MSNBC and news services: 5 So. Baptist churches in Ala. hit by fires

Zguy28

NBC, MSNBC and news services

Updated: 10:48 a.m. ET Feb. 3, 2006

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Five Southern Baptist churches in the Birmingham, Ala., area were destroyed or damaged by fire overnight, according to officials.

There were two minor injuries reported among firefighters tackling the blazes.

NBC affiliate WVTM-TV reported that at least one church burned to the ground. WVTM reporter Debra Des Vignes told MSNBC that authorities believe all the fires were deliberately set.

The pastor of one church told MSNBC that two fires there appeared to be an arson. The Rev. David Hand of the Old Union Baptist Church said part of the church was set on fire as was American flag. Two flower pots were also smashed to the ground, he said.

The five churches are all within five miles of one another, he added.

A sixth fire damaged another church late Thursday afternoon, but an insurance investigator said it might not have been arson.

This report will be updated as information becomes available.

© 2006 MSNBC Interactive

Ya'll know there are a lot of white southern baptists too? ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/churches/churches.htm

As of yesterday, there had been 37 suspicious fires at black churches in the last 18 months, including two in Mississippi late Monday night. During about the same time frame, according to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), there have been 23 suspicious fires at predominantly white churches, which far outnumber black churches. Just this week, another white church, in suburban Atlanta, was heavily damaged by fire that investigators are examining for possible arson.

Added:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11160244/

But Ingram said the fires late Thursday and early Friday destroyed both the churches of predominantly black congregations and predominantly white congregations.

Maybe it's the athiest rising up ;)

Our So. Baptist Church in St.Mary's county was broken into last Monday. They knew right where to breakin and cut the bottom out of the safe. No money in it though. HAHA! If they had got the offering money they would probably got away with 10K.

Yes, there are many other races that attend Southern Baptist Churches other than African-American's. It is sad to think that people feel they need to lower themselves to such a level of actually burning it down.

We actually have a new member in our church that just got out of jail for burning down a church. His motive was strictly political... and VERY wrong (which he admits). He does feel bad for what he has done, and is working very hard to pay those people back. I am not supporting what he did, but I do feel he is striving for a better life now.

My condolances to those families...

Just a update...4 more fires :(

http://www.wtok.com/news/headlines/2274571.html

Churches Devastated by Fires

Four church fires were set in west Alabama early Tuesday, the apparent work of an arsonist or arsonist. They followed five church fires in Bibb County, Ala., just four days ago.

The first fire was reported was Boligee in Greene County, followed by fires in Emelle and Panola in Sumter County, and Dancy in Pickens County.

"Whoever did this was up all night. These fires came in reported late, so the public should think about that, and we might have some people with burned hands, because if they did all these fires we're talking about eight fires, maybe 10 to 12 sets, because some fires have multiple sets," said ATF Agent Jim Cavanaugh.

The call came in around 5:15 a.m. Tuesday that the Dancy First Baptist Church was on fire. The community is in shock.

"We have a lot of people in panic right now, especially in the community," said Deputy Tonnie Jones of the Pickens County Sheriff's Department. "I'm kind of surprised that it would happen in this community."

Local, state and federal officials were on the scene investigating the fire as a civil rights violation. The church sustained substantial damage, but was not destroyed.

Officials say that could prove vital to the investigation. They're hoping to pull significant evidence from the scene.

Members of the church are pulling together and choosing compassion instead of anger for the perpetrators of this crime.

"I feel sorry for them. I'm not mad at them. They need some help; they got to be sick. And I hope and pray to god that they can get some help somewhere," said church member Annie Hodges Garner.

But the authorities won't be so forgiving.

Bunch of punk ass b!tches around. . .

First you have the nazi skinhear that killed the cop and a 33 year old woman afer he shot 8 people in Mass and attacked two guys with a hatchet, now you have this.

These people are scumbags, and I don't use the term lightly. I hope they throw the book at them.

Last time I checked, there are a TON of white southern baptists, so lets not ASSUME it was some white supremacy group. If this was an islamic place of worship or a Jewish temple, I know everybody would ASSUME it was white Christians. But it isn't being reported as a "hate" crime, so can we at least assume that race is a non-factor?

AS for the people that did it....I don't know whom they should fear more, God or the Southern Baptists that will tear them limb from limb if they find out who it was?

I don't get it. Why would you burn a church?

:logo:

Because they are a useless POS. Heck, everyone here knows I am not religious, but this is about as disturbing as it gets with me. I have a terrible hatred for anything racist, or singling out one segment of society. I don't care if it is a black, white, hispanic, gay, religious, or alien, I hate racism. This is nothing more then racism against religious people, and it is completely against everything I stand for and believe in.

It pisses me off to no end when I see crap like this on the news. Furthermore, crap like this spurns outher crap, it is the way society behavies as a whole. Someone sees this crap and thinks "hey what a good idea", they are all nothing but a bunch of POS's, and they should rot in jail.

:2cents:

Last time I checked, there are a TON of white southern baptists, so lets not ASSUME it was some white supremacy group. If this was an islamic place of worship or a Jewish temple, I know everybody would ASSUME it was white Christians. But it isn't being reported as a "hate" crime, so can we at least assume that race is a non-factor?

AS for the people that did it....I don't know whom they should fear more, God or the Southern Baptists that will tear them limb from limb if they find out who it was?

But it is a race issue, it is against religion, and it is racist in nature. You call defacing a Jewish Temple racial hatred right? This is as well, just not in the "normal" way people look at race, but it is absolutely raceism.

I dunno man, 7 churches get burned, and from what ive heard, 7 BLACK churches. Sounds like hate crimes to me.

Mother****ers deserve to be burned at the stake. :2cents:

But it is a race issue, it is against religion, and it is racist in nature. You call defacing a Jewish Temple racial hatred right? This is as well, just not in the "normal" way people look at race, but it is absolutely raceism.

I think you're stretching it chom. The religion itself is multi-racial, so are they racist against whites or blacks? Judaism is the only religion that I can think of (maybe Buddhism) that has a connotation to race. Black and white people are both Southern Baptist......Unless you're suggesting the arsenists are racist against both. Which leads me to believe it was militant muslims. But that's an assumption, not an answer based on fact.

I dunno man, 7 churches get burned, and from what ive heard, 7 BLACK churches. Sounds like hate crimes to me.

Mother****ers deserve to be burned at the stake. :2cents:

Was it 7 BLACK churches? It was 7 black churches? If so, my apologies. I haven't read the entire thread since I last posted, nor have I done research. If that is the case, then I retract my statement.

Was it 7 BLACK churches? It was 7 black churches? If so, my apologies. I haven't read the entire thread since I last posted, nor have I done research. If that is the case, then I retract my statement.

http://today.reuters.com/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-02-07T184228Z_01_N07406946_RTRUKOC_0_US-CRIME-CHURCHES.xml

All of the churches hit in the latest fires belonged to black congregations, local officials said. All were located no more than about 17 miles from each other in the Black Belt of Alabama, named for its rich soil and populated predominantly by African-Americans.

The five churches burned last week in Bibb County also were near other and four of them belonged to predominantly white congregations.

I dont think this is about blacks or whites, this is either cover for one or two churches for insurrance or its people whose hatred for religous people finally boilled over.

Archived