Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cap Hell Revisited

jschlesi

Everyone uses the 49ers as a cautionary tale of what not to do with the CAP. People/pundits/writers/experts have been predicting cap hell for teams in the past. Us, Jets and Titans come to mind as teams with cap problems (ie no room left).

Here is what I dont understand-- And I have not seen it discussed by the "experts" you can spend your self out of Cap Jail almost as easily as you spent your self into it. you spend money on players by restructuring their contract ( new signing bonus costs the owners money) or giving them a new contract altogether ( still signing money upfront). For 5 years we keep hearing people saying we will be in trouble in a year or two-- well we are not. Cause Snyder gives new contracts ( signing bonuses) to players with big cap hits.

Snyder has made some big profile FA signings in the past that have cost us over the years. And yet, he is still able to spend money and bring in others. Now he is helped by Gibbs. Who values both character and skills. We had a conservative off season. Through salary restructuring (spend money to save money) we should be ready to get some top tier players.

I think we already have top tier players to be honest with you. I mean, look at our defense with guys like ST, Washington, Rogers, Springs, Lavar and our D-line. Then you've got Portis, Cooley and Moss on the offensive side. Once Campbell gets going and we have a solid #2 wideout, we'll be good to go. I personally think the answer to most of our problems are already in the locker room.

you spend money on players by restructuring their contract ( new signing bonus costs the owners money) or giving them a new contract altogether ( still signing money upfront). For 5 years we keep hearing people saying we will be in trouble in a year or two-- well we are not. Cause Snyder gives new contracts ( signing bonuses) to players with big cap hits.

One argument I have heard about this year being different is that there aren't that many players with big cap hits, so there aren't too many contracts that can be restructured. That may make things a little harder when it comes to getting under the cap.

Of course none of this matters if the cap goes up to 110.

One problem this year is that you can usually spread the signing over 7 years. The formula is how many years are left on the CBA +3. Two years ago it could only be spread over 6 yrs. Last yr. it was 5 yrs. This yr. it is only 4. So we can't push monies 7 yrs into the future, only 4. This makes it much more difficult to shave money off the cap in 06'. Also there is a 30% rule that says salaries cannot increase by more tha 30%. They did this because next yr. is an uncapped yr. Basically what they did with the current CBA is make so that in 06' it becomes very difficult to restructure for teams and the players won't get as big of contracts that they normally would. This makes it so they have to get a new CBA in place. It is what is best for both sides. And as skins' fans we should be rooting for this more than anything else. If no deal gets done it will be hard to keep this current team together let alone sign FA. This is the #1 priority. This is not a typical year.

I predict another conservitive off season. Not because of cap hell though, but based on our needs. As enforcer stated we have top tier players. Where we need help is at depth. With Ray Brown retiring, I do not like anybody coming off the bench on the o-line. When Patten went down everyone doubled up on Moss and his production went down. We didn't have a receiver to step up. Our three corners all had injury problems last year. We need another good cover corner. With our LB's (assuming LA stays), there is no one to come off the bench and be anything other than a situational LB.

So I think we will try to keep our core players and pick up quality depth. I am sure if we do, we will hear how we can't sign anybody because we are in Cap H.

I predict another conservitive off season. Not because of cap hell though, but based on our needs. As enforcer stated we have top tier players. Where we need help is at depth. With Ray Brown retiring, I do not like anybody coming off the bench on the o-line. When Patten went down everyone doubled up on Moss and his production went down. We didn't have a receiver to step up. Our three corners all had injury problems last year. We need another good cover corner. With our LB's (assuming LA stays), there is no one to come off the bench and be anything other than a situational LB.

So I think we will try to keep our core players and pick up quality depth. I am sure if we do, we will hear how we can't sign anybody because we are in Cap H.

Jett I could not have said it better myself. Quality depth is important. A quality #2 WR would also be great but is secondary when your talking about your best defensive player possibly going to prison, a backup center as your right guard and a host of other depth issues. We were signing guys off the street, or former guys that were cut, due to a lack of depth. I think JG and all the front office guys realize everything that we are saying.

The question is what direction will they choose to go, given the current cap and CBA situation?

And just as a side note, take a look at the latest development of the CBA negotiations:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/02/AR2006020202350.html

Upshaw: If No Deal, No Union

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, February 3, 2006; Page E08

Tagliabue, meantime, is trying to get owners to agree to a plan to increase the degree to which the wealthiest franchises would share their locally generated revenues with needier teams. The two sets of negotiations are taking place simultaneously, and Upshaw said the biggest holdup to deals on both fronts is that some owners of the most prosperous clubs are taking advantage of the current system. He said he does not include the Washington Redskins' Daniel Snyder in that category.

"You have to take Dan Snyder out," Upshaw said. "He's completely different. He's got a high-revenue club, and he spends money on his players. We like that. There are high-revenue clubs who are spending less than $66 million on their players, and that's out of $300 million. That's not a fair share."

I agree. We will probably have another quiet off-seaon, but I hope we make a little noise by piking up an excellent wr and de.

Not sure really where to post this question but it seems kinda related. What affect does the NFL network getting an 8 game package have on the cap? With the Nfl recieving less money for the overall tv package does that in some way lower the cap as compared to what it would have been if they had sold this 8 game package to espn, tbs, etc

I would love it if we could land a Nate Clements, or a Randal El, but not at the expense of our cap. If our FO can't get these guys in without giving us future cap problems I'd rather stay conservative. Another year in the system is going to make our whole team look better. Patten wasn't spectacular but he did draw some attention away from Moss. If they're going to double him like they did at the end of the season then Patten is going to make his grabs. We have a decent amount of draft picks this year and might even get a few more from the compensatory picks to pick up some depth.

So basically I'd love to land some big names but not if it's going to put us in the position Tennesse was in last season. We're too close to doing something really good to have to break this team up in another year.

Archived