Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jansen Contract Update from the Post

dchogs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38139-2002Sep4.html

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, September 5, 2002; Page D06

Right tackle Jon Jansen said yesterday he is growing increasingly skeptical that he will be able to complete a contract extension with the Washington Redskins in the coming weeks.

Redskins officials agreed to a restructured contract yesterday with veteran defensive end Bruce Smith that cleared nearly $2.1 million of salary cap space and enables the team, among other things, to try to sign Jansen to an extension. But Jansen, who is entering the final season of his contract and is eligible for unrestricted free agency next offseason, said he's not optimistic that an agreement is near because there has been so little progress in the talks in recent weeks.

"I'm always hopeful," Jansen said. "I don't expect a whole lot, though. We'll see what happens. We'll see where things go. . . . It's just been something that's been going on for so long. If something happens, it happens. If not, I'm not concerned about it." Jansen said he prefers to remain with the Redskins, but it's possible he could leave via free agency next offseason if he does not receive what he regards as a suitable contract offer.

"It would be great" to stay, Jansen said. "We'll see what happens. . . . It's one of those things where it's going to take care of itself one way or the other, whether it's now or it's six months from now, whether it's here or it's somewhere else. I'm not concerned about it. The rollercoaster for me is wins and losses."

Jansen, 26, has been a fixture in the lineup since being selected in the second round of the 1999 draft out of Michigan. He has started each of his 50 games with the team, including two playoff contests, and just was voted the club's offensive player of the year for last season by the Redskins' alumni association.

He says he has his sights set on Bruce Matthews's NFL record (for non-kickers) of 296 games. Matthews, a center and guard, never missed a game because of injury in 19 seasons before retiring from the Tennessee Titans this past offseason.

"I take a lot of pride in it," Jansen said. "That's my spot. I hate to see somebody else playing that spot, even in the preseason. . . . When Bruce Matthews retired this past year, I was talking it over with my wife. I told her my new goal was to play in 297 games because he had 296. Obviously that's a long ways away, and there's a lot that can happen between now and then. But it is a source of pride for me and something I do think about and talk about. The team counts on you to be out there."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

anyone know what the top RT's are getting nowadays? we need to sign this hoss!

Hmmmm. I understand his anxiety, if that's what you want to call it, but Jensen may not have to worry. This appears, to me, to be the way this front office has worked when signing players, ( more often than not). Open discussions, keep the door open. Find the money, or cap room, When they decide to move, they do so quickly. :cheers:

Word of caution. Take note that the 'writer' is writing in HIS OWN words what Jansen says; but when he ACTUALLY quotes Jansen, it's not the same thing.

Jansen isn't worried as much as the writer seems to be throwing wrenches.

Why now, four days out from opening day?

Here's the way I look at. Jansen is saying he'll play on, still kicking as* and taking names, but also says yeah it'll be great to have the contract in place and with the Skins. He isn't as much on the anxiety tip as the writer suggest. No more than when we anticipate a raise, we know is coming at work.

More made out of this than should be.

Dan Snyder loves creating headlines and I think a top priority of his is to resign any players that have potential to be newsworthy and further contribute to redskins hype. Which is what any owner of a business would like to do. He resigned Darrell Green to be that ageless wonder, akin to Nolan Ryan. Bruce Smith ( who IMO is pretty much shot and should only be used on 3rd down ) resigned to break Reggie White's all-time sack record. No doubt he sees what lies ahead for Jon Jansen, and if this pattern is any indication he'll remain a redskin.

Originally posted by dchogs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38139-2002Sep4.html

He has started each of his 50 games with the team, including two playoff contests, and just was voted the club's offensive player of the year for last season by the Redskins' alumni association.

On a side note, you know an offense really sucked when some offensive lineman ( even a great one like Jansen ) gets props as the top dog on the squad.

Originally posted by mardi gras skin

There's no way he walks. If a contract doesn't keep him here then the franchise tag will. He's definitely worth the average of the top 5 right tackle salaries. Look for #297 in a Skins uniform.

Jansen is an all world right tackle. There is no way we can let this guy go. But, do you honestly see him playing for the same team for 18 seasons this day and age?

Not sure if that will happen, but I would love to see in a Skins uni for at least another 8-10 years :cheers:

Bill

Gotta love this quote:

"I take a lot of pride in it," Jansen said. "That's my spot. I hate to see somebody else playing that spot, even in the preseason. . . . When Bruce Matthews retired this past year, I was talking it over with my wife. I told her my new goal was to play in 297 games because he had 296. Obviously that's a long ways away, and there's a lot that can happen between now and then. But it is a source of pride for me and something I do think about and talk about. The team counts on you to be out there."

Originally posted by rdsknbill

Jansen is an all world right tackle. There is no way we can let this guy go. But, do you honestly see him playing for the same team for 18 seasons this day and age?

If any player has a shot at longevity with the same team, it's an o-lineman. Guards seem to do better with that however. That's essentially what Matthews was, and what Jackie Slater was.

So, the short answer is yes, if he remains generally healthy and his quality of play remains consistent like Matthews was throughout his remarkable career.

But we sure could help him out by padding his stats with a few playoff games along the way . . . :)

Archived