Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have the Redskins started a "trend" with their coaching staff?

PCRoughrider

Looking around the league, from the most recent coaching hires, coaching staffs appear to be getting bigger with more "high profile" assistants. Look at the Lions, who, if Martz signs on as their OC, will add him to their well-respected, high profile DC, Donnie Henderson. The Dolphins have two former head coaches on their HUGE coaching staff. The Jaguars signed Mike Tice as Assistant Head Coach - Offense.

It never used to be the case that a head coach would want a "built-in" replacement on his staff. Now, it seems to be the exception, to have a coaching staff without at least one high profile assistant.

I think it's more because the owners are going with young coordinator types and that's leaving the former HC's available and out of work if they don't accept the coordinator jobs.

Exactly. 9 teams changed head coaching positions, and if I am recalling correctly, only one team (Kansas City) is going recycling route. All the other teams are going with new HCs, which means, factoring in Vermeil's retirement and Mariucci's desire to stay out of football for "a long time", there are 7 ex-NFL head coaches out there, who have to end up somewhere.

Guest GibbSkins11

gibbs and the skins are smart and i get what ur saying but their is no trend , the lions dolphins jags etc havent copied us , its common for hc's that are fired to have to drop to asst coaches,the difference is so many coaches that gibbs wanted came to washington bc joe gibbs called them its like lombardi or walsh calling , a hof coach wants you and they are honored and humbled , if the dolphins bring back shula then i say them bringing in those 2 asst coaches was a trend we started:laugh:

Archived