Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot Overrated?

RunPortisRun

In in late 2003 and in 2004 under Greg Williams he was begining to make that step to being one of the top CBs in the NFL. Then he goes to a new team and gets hurt and does not have such a good year. He still has potential but a question, has Fred Smoot ever been to a Pro Bowl or the playoffs???? :silly:

That's what makes Smoot overrated. All the SmootSmack. He's one of the great trash talkers in the game and while playing for those great Redskins defenses of the early 00's (haha) he was a good player with a lot of potential. I think he's got great ball skills, very fast and athletic, however, he is a marginal tackler. He would much rather dive at the legs of a RB or throw a shoulder at a wide reciever than put his head across, wrap up, and drive his hips through the offensive player. I think Shawn Springs, an underrated CB, is a major upgrade from Smoot, an overrated CB. Gregg Williams system calls for big, athletic corners that can play the run as well as tight, man to man coverage with big, athletic wide recievers. Smoot will be alright up there in Minnesota, but I doubt he has the surronding talent on that defense to make him an impact player like he was in Washington. He was a positive force in the locker room and on the field, but he was looking for a big payday and when it got down to it, it was all about Fred. He's a victim of his own self marketing. Not to the point of Fred-Ex (I just want to thank my hands)...but he could use some humility.

On a side note, I was very impressed with Carlos Rogers this season and I think Gregg can turn him into a tough, physical, corner. I believe we are better off at the corner position than most NFL teams. If Springs can stay healthy, look out.

Smoot was good, but we basically get the same production out of CR for a lot less money.

I believe we are better off at the corner position than most NFL teams.

We're better at every defensive position than most teams in the NFL. The only area we could use some work is on the D line (though we're above average there too.)

Steve Smith said, on the Dan Patrick show, that smoot is the most overrated CB in the league.

Ouch.

I don't think Steve Smith is a very accurate source. He's probably been the subject to many a jawwing by Smoot, and I wouldn't be surprised if he just said this because he doesn't like Smoot.

When someone says someone else "is the most overrated" anything, especially when they work together, I suspect there is something personal going on.

Archived