Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN: Team Report 1/29/2006

bubba9497

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams//redskins

click link for full article

Team Report 1/29/2006

Joe Gibbs wanted more than just another set of eyes and a few new wrinkles in the offense when he hired Al Saunders. He is turning the play-calling over to Saunders and taking himself out of the offense. Gibbs is becoming more of a CEO-style coach. The test now will be to see whether Gibbs can keep his hands off the offense. He did turn the reigns of his NASCAR teams over to his automobile people, and the teams' success continued. But Gibbs never has coached as he says he is going to approach the situation. It's hard to imagine the plays not going through him in some fashion on game day, but Saunders will be in control. Gibbs will make such decisions as when to go for a first down on fourth down and whether to go for a touchdown or settle for a field goal on fourth-and-goal. . . .

By promoting Bill Lazor from offensive assistant to quarterbacks coach, Gibbs is indicating that he will spend a bit more time with the quarterbacks now. Lazor has been with the team for two seasons and is a bright young coach. He is, however, almost two years younger than Mark Brunell, and Gibbs' occasional presence will lend a settling effect to the meetings.

The team appears to be ready to turn the No.2 quarterback job over to Jason Campbell. Patrick Ramsey will get his wish either to be traded or released. Ramsey would like to stay with the team if he knew the competition for the starting job would be open, but that is highly unlikely. The team liked what it saw of Campbell in his pre-practice drills and scout team duties last season. He's a big, mobile, bright quarterback. He has an arm capable of making any of the necessary throws, and he seems to have a good feel for sliding away from pressure in the pocket. He's also fast enough to make plays with his feet on a regular basis.

If that is from some kind of quote that's pretty amazing.

Patrick wants to be here if there is an open competition at QB?

That's a hell of a team player. I imgaine most guys wouldn't have that much faith in gibbs and would just want to leave after what happened this year.

Bringing Saunders in obviously gives Gibbs more time for other matters; e.g., contracts, players, special teams, etc. It might be that he wants to take a personal interest in Campbell and make sure he is ready to be the starter. Who knows?

Bringing Saunders in obviously gives Gibbs more time for other matters; e.g., contracts, players, special teams, etc. It might be that he wants to take a personal interest in Campbell and make sure he is ready to be the starter. Who knows?

I'm gonna agree with this. I think Gibbs, unlike when he left the first time, wants to be sure we are built for the future. By helping Campbell he is helping the future of our organization. This is HIS team and i think he felt kind of bad the way how he left the organization the first time. This is a great move by Gibbs. I would take no coach in the league right now. As a matter of fact...probably not any other coaching staff.

This article kinda highlights one of the two concerns I have about the Saunders move:

(1) How will Gibbs handle not being involved in the offense

(2) How will Saunders's personality mix with the other coaches on offense and the team in general?

I'm pretty confident that Gibbs can handle stepping back, even though there may be some times he really wants to get involved. He did a good job incorperating the shotgun into his offense last year. Thats an example of his willingness to grow.

THe second one though, I dont know about. I've heard really negative things about Saunders's personality and I don't want a guy coaching here who doesn't understand what it means to work for the Redskins. But again, I have faith that Gibbs has gone over these things with him, and that Gibbs will be able to keep any of his problems under control.

This article kinda highlights one of the two concerns I have about the Saunders move:

(1) How will Gibbs handle not being involved in the offense

(2) How will Saunders's personality mix with the other coaches on offense and the team in general?

I'm pretty confident that Gibbs can handle stepping back, even though there may be some times he really wants to get involved. He did a good job incorperating the shotgun into his offense last year. Thats an example of his willingness to grow.

THe second one though, I dont know about. I've heard really negative things about Saunders's personality and I don't want a guy coaching here who doesn't understand what it means to work for the Redskins. But again, I have faith that Gibbs has gone over these things with him, and that Gibbs will be able to keep any of his problems under control.

Where did you hear negative things? That doesn't jibe with the KC fans I've talked to. They are bummed big time to see him go. All I've heard is good things.

I've heard really negative things about Saunders's personality and I don't want a guy coaching here who doesn't understand what it means to work for the Redskins. But again, I have faith that Gibbs has gone over these things with him, and that Gibbs will be able to keep any of his problems under control.

I haven't heard of any negative comments.

Where they coming out of KC?

Patrick Ramsey will get his wish either to be traded or released. Ramsey would like to stay with the team if he knew the competition for the starting job would be open, but that is highly unlikely.

I'd really like somebody to explain to me why the team should even consider trading Ramsey. I haven't heard a single explanation that makes sense. Why make the QB position weaker going into next season with so much to shoot for? You've got Brunell who it is clear by now can't produce injured, and Campbell who's never taken a snap. Ramsey is cheap against the cap, and light years better than anybody you could replace him with at the same price. He's under contract. It is entirely within the team's rights to hold him to it.

Just because a player wants a trade doesn't mean you have to do it. Not by a long shot.

I don't get it.

For that matter, why not have an open competition? What could it possibly harm? Brunell's been in the league about 40 years, a few less snaps with the first team in camp isn't going to kill him.

Well, I'm not saying I know the guy or have made my own judgement of his personality, just going from a few articles. The first is

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/13682142.htm

"Around the league, Saunders is known as a climber, a self-promoter, a snake. The labels have stuck with him since his days as head coach in San Diego, where reporters there contend Saunders used insecure media puppets to back-stab Don Coryell to get the Chargers job."

A second is:

http://www.chiefswarroom.net/webmastersview/archives/2004/10/index.shtml

"If I were Gunther Cunningham I think I might punch Al Saunders in the nose the next time his Offense puts all the weight & pressure on his Defense. Saunders while obviously a brilliant OC is also and arrogant bafoon at times that eerily reminds me of Paul Hackett."

I've read more but instead of looking for every one of them, I figure this is enough.

But these may be reports written by angry chiefs fans who just are mad that Saunders is leaving. So I acknowledge that he may have a great personality. But I think its feasible to raise the question of what inspired these remarks. I hope that they're just BS though.

I'd really like somebody to explain to me why the team should even consider trading Ramsey. I haven't heard a single explanation that makes sense. Why make the QB position weaker going into next season with so much to shoot for? You've got Brunell who it is clear by now can't produce injured, and Campbell who's never taken a snap. Ramsey is cheap against the cap, and light years better than anybody you could replace him with at the same price. He's under contract. It is entirely within the team's rights to hold him to it.

Just because a player wants a trade doesn't mean you have to do it. Not by a long shot.

I don't get it.

For that matter, why not have an open competition? What could it possibly harm? Brunell's been in the league about 40 years, a few less snaps with the first team in camp isn't going to kill him.

Very good points. Perhaps others will have the answers. I was thinking the same thing myself. They either have the utmost confidence in Campbell and a plan to bring in other capable back ups cheap (Bramlet?) OR the possibility of getting a player/draft pick or two for Ramsey is more appealing than leaving him to sit while they live and die by the "future" of the organization in Campbell.

I don't know which is the more applicable philosophy, but AJ is right, something doesn't make sense with the limited insight into the coaches thinking we have.

Well, I'm not saying I know the guy or have made my own judgement of his personality, just going from a few articles. The first is

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/13682142.htm

"Around the league, Saunders is known as a climber, a self-promoter, a snake. The labels have stuck with him since his days as head coach in San Diego, where reporters there contend Saunders used insecure media puppets to back-stab Don Coryell to get the Chargers job."

A second is:

http://www.chiefswarroom.net/webmastersview/archives/2004/10/index.shtml

"If I were Gunther Cunningham I think I might punch Al Saunders in the nose the next time his Offense puts all the weight & pressure on his Defense. Saunders while obviously a brilliant OC is also and arrogant bafoon at times that eerily reminds me of Paul Hackett."

I've read more but instead of looking for every one of them, I figure this is enough.

But these may be reports written by angry chiefs fans who just are mad that Saunders is leaving. So I acknowledge that he may have a great personality. But I think its feasible to raise the question of what inspired these remarks. I hope that they're just BS though.

Think about what people around here say about Champ Bailey. Same deal, more than likely.

I don't get it.

Good point. I've said the same thing about Ramesy (to my friends) for a while now. Unless we get an over whelming offer why should we trade him. He knows the offense and in todays NFL you need as many healthy QB's as you can afford.

You never know what Joe has up his sleeve but if we don't pursue a QB then I think #11 will be in uniform next year.

I don't get it.

You should know by now that Gibbs' MO is if a person wants to be traded, especially if Gibbs' respects said person, he will do anything to try and faciliate it. See Hasselback, Tim. If we can get value in the form of a draft pick I don't see why we shouldn't. AJ contineus to ignore the fact that practices and preseasons do indeed count for something. Gibbs likes what he saw in Campbell during the preseason and running the scout team during the season that makes Ramsey expendeble despite the fact that Campbell has not taken a snap. If Brunell goes down Gibbs has confidence that Campbell will come in without missing a beat. He can't be on the bench forever.

I am curious as to what the general sentiment was on this board when Ramsey first came to town. Did everyone think he going to be the Redskin's QB of the future, as we do now for Campbell, or to a lesser extent? Probably the fact that Gibbs hand picked JC has a lot to do with how strong some people's feelings are about JC being the right fit, and for a long time.

Its simply foolish to think that Saunders is going to have any say over Gibbs lol

Do you seriously think that just because they hired Saunders he now runs the organization? That if Gibbs wanted to he couldnt just pull the plug at any time?

If Gibbs says anything, he gets his way, its that simple. Some people are just to paranoid. You make the #1 signing in the offseason of any team period and its just not good enough for some people lol

Archived