Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Home game sellout streak?

bschurm

OK, I looked for a thread on this and couldn't find one.

In an effort to prove the Skins have the best fans, I referred someone with whom I was arguing to the fact the Redskins hold the record for consecutive sellouts. He claims Green Bay holds the record.

I am 99.9999% sure we hold the record, but was unable to find the statistics to back up my claim. I know we have soldout every game since the 87 strike and held the record prior to that year. Can someone refer me to the site where I can back up that claim. Thanks!

:point2sky

The strike game in 1987 was NOT a sell out. The Redskins (and other teams) allowed season ticket holders to return tickets for a refund for the strike games. The big difference was the Redskins REQUIRED you to come down to the ticket office to get your money (you could not do it over the phone). I know a guy who made his wife go down to RFK to return his tickets. By the way, the 1987 Redskins team video (NFL Films titled "Warpath") makes reference to the sell out streak being broken. Despite all this, the Redskins were still making announcements over the PA system before every home game about how this was the 180th (or whatever) straight sell out. Though I am not sure if they were doing it this year or not. BTW, my nephew got on the season ticket wait list and his number is over 200,000. I think that is a pretty good testament to fan support.

The strike game in 1987 was NOT a sell out. The Redskins (and other teams) allowed season ticket holders to return tickets for a refund for the strike games. The big difference was the Redskins REQUIRED you to come down to the ticket office to get your money (you could not do it over the phone). I know a guy who made his wife go down to RFK to return his tickets. By the way, the 1987 Redskins team video (NFL Films titled "Warpath") makes reference to the sell out streak being broken. Despite all this, the Redskins were still making announcements over the PA system before every home game about how this was the 180th (or whatever) straight sell out. Though I am not sure if they were doing it this year or not. BTW, my nephew got on the season ticket wait list and his number is over 200,000. I think that is a pretty good testament to fan support.

Strike games were not included in any teams sellout streak --- the streak goes on and yes we have the longest streak and I think Denver is 2nd.

Did you read the article??????

- A consecutive sellout streak began in 1968 and is still alive today. No other NFL team can claim that long a string of sellouts.

The only problem with that statement, besides being vague, is that in 1987 the streak of sellouts ended with replacement players on the field.

I agree that the skins have the best fans, but its still BS when they say "sell out", but empty seats are clearly visible. Ive been on the waiting list a long time and dont understand this.

"Sell out" means exactly that; they sold the tickets. There are empty seats at every sporting event, sell out or not. I wouldn't even be surprised to hear there are a few no-shows at a Super Bowl.

No matter how much we like to paint RFK as being Heaven and always 100% full, it had no-shows every game. Things happen. People can't make it to every game. At Fed Ex, with 92,000 seats, you'll never get everyone there. The record at Fed Ex is around 91,500.

I think the bigger argument against a sell out streak than the strike year is our first year in The Jack. The club seats were far from sold out, but those seats don't count for "sell out" purposes. We've kept the streak alive, but the fact that there were tons of empty yellow seats at the opening of our new stadium was embarassing.

What is the waiting list like for season tickets then?

As a season ticket holder now going into year 3.....let me tell you.

I was lucky for the most part, FedEx had already been built and the Skins while I was waiting had Norv Turner and Steve Spurrier mixed in with 1 year of Marty.

But I had to wait 5 years (not really a long amount of time), but people thought Spurrier was coming back in 2004.....I got my tickets in time to see the Return of Joe Gibbs year 1.......

Now however, there is no way anytime soon that the demand for the tickets is going to drop now that we've made the playoffs and had another winning season.

I know this is off topic but how much will some season tickets run me? I am only 17 and my funds are limited

I believe the cheapest seats were $49 last year. So, a season (10 games) for one seat will be $490.

Anyone hear if they'll raise prices next year?

I was at the strike game, funny thing happened on the way into stadium. My buddy and are I are waliking toward stadium and along the sidewalk are protesters from other unions supporting players union. This african american woman protester jumps in our face and yells it is a race thing, my buddy looks at her and says your right it is a race thing and you better race your @$$ back to work or you won't have a job tomorrow. Everyone who heard it busted out in hysterics, protesters, fans, you just had to be there. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

I believe the cheapest seats were $49 last year. So, a season (10 games) for one seat will be $490.

There are rumors that tickets will be raised about 5-10 dollars per ticket (game) now that the Redskins have had a winning season and made playoffs.

But they are only rumors and speculation.

My op. is that they will be raised slightly this year being that there really hasn't been a raise in a few years. But noone (as far as I know) have recieved their ticket invoices yet (usually btw March and May)

If I know Danny (and after many $7 beers, I know Danny) we can count on a ticket price increase. We gotta pay for Al Saunders' contract somehow.

I always suspected that after we started winning, we'd see an increase.

Archived