Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: dumb question and Joe Salave'a's response

chairmangao

Snopes say:

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/williams.asp

Legend: Before Super Bowl XXII in 1988, a reporter asked Washington Redskins quarterback Doug Williams, "How long have you been a black quarterback?"

With a little more searching, the answer turned up: The question actually asked of Doug Williams (by Butch John, a reporter for the Jackson Clarion-Ledger) was a similar but much more sensible one; Williams didn't hear it correctly (quite possibly because the laughter of other reporters drowned out its latter half) and therefore answered what he thought he'd been asked. But Bob Kravitz, a reporter for the Rocky Mountain News, explained what really happened:

I hate to burden this column with the truth — really, why start now? — but I was next to the guy when that question supposedly was asked of Doug Williams, and what the reporter actually said was, ''Doug, obviously you've been a black quarterback your whole life. When did race begin to matter to people?'' Which was a perfectly reasonable question on a day when Williams was fielding hundreds of ''black quarterback'' questions. Problem was, Williams either misunderstood or didn't hear the question because he said, ''How long have I been a black quarterback?''

Archived