Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Garage door question

jbooma

When I got home today my garage door was acting a little funny and would not open. We do have an opener and it would start up a little then just go back down.

I noticed that one of the springs broke off the side. Now would it be possible that the spring could have broke sometime back and never noticed and the opener would still be able to open it, or is the spring needed for the garage opener to work?

I am hoping that it might just be the spring and not the opener that is bad.

When I got home today my garage door was acting a little funny and would not open. We do have an opener and it would start up a little then just go back down.

I noticed that one of the springs broke off the side. Now would it be possible that the spring could have broke sometime back and never noticed and the opener would still be able to open it, or is the spring needed for the garage opener to work?

I am hoping that it might just be the spring and not the opener that is bad.

Sounds like something (maybe a result of the broken spring?) is snagging the track when it's opening. Check the track area, especially where the spring is broken and see if anything is rubbing or has potential to rub the track when the door is moving.

Also make sure that nothing is getting jarred and falling in the way, when the door moves

Good luck!

Sounds like something (maybe a result of the broken spring?) is snagging the track when it's opening. Check the track area, especially where the spring is broken and see if anything is rubbing or has potential to rub the track when the door is moving.

Also make sure that nothing is getting jarred and falling in the way, when the door moves

Good luck!

so an opener would work even if the spring is broken?? i will check the track and see if anything looks wierd

If your spring is broken, your opener will not be able to lift the door.

Springs are expensive and a pain in the ass to install, depending on how old the door is. (if I remember correctly)

You'd actually be better off if it was the opener in my opinion... you can buy them for $150 at Lowes and install them yourself.

good luck

If you try to replace the spring yourself, be careful. Those things can mess you up bad if you don't know what your doing with them.

Also since the spring is broken, when the door strarts to lift could part of the broken spring be interfering with the door sensor?? Just an idea.

If you try to replace the spring yourself, be careful. Those things can mess you up bad if you don't know what your doing with them.

Also since the spring is broken, when the door strarts to lift could part of the broken spring be interfering with the door sensor?? Just an idea.

From what I have read online am not even going to touch that :) Lets see if this home warranty works :)

The track looks fine, it must have been the spring breaking, so the opener should be good for now, but have no clue how old it is.

Archived