Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Pink Floyd Songs

Captain Chaos47

I can't find my Animals tape!!! I'm freaking out! This thread makes me want to listen to all my Floyd albums again.....Last night was Meedle....tonight might be MLOR.

Ok. Here is for all of you MLOR bashers....a couple songs that I really liked and got me through some times back in the day:

Signs of Life

On The Turning Away

And if you're in doubt about who was the real creative force driving the band, give Atom Heart Mother a listen. Which song on there do you think most represents the "Floyd" sound? If you said "If" then you are correct. Interestingly enough, each song on the album was written by a different member of the band.........."If" belonging to Waters. :cheers:

I guess I'm just a Gilmore guy (not a Gilmore girl though!:silly: ). I preferred "Fat Old Sun" to "If" on AHM and I absolutely love the Division Bell. Not to mention that Gilmore is the real strength behind "Comfortably Numb" and "Wish You Were Here," two of their greatest songs. Allegedly Waters wanted to removed "Comfortably Numb" from The Wall but the other guys threatened to quit the band if he did.

I guess I'm just a Gilmore guy (not a Gilmore girl though!:silly: ). I preferred "Fat Old Sun" to "If" on AHM and I absolutely love the Division Bell. Not to mention that Gilmore is the real strength behind "Comfortably Numb" and "Wish You Were Here," two of their greatest songs. Allegedly Waters wanted to remove "Comfortably Numb" from The Wall but the other guys threatened to quit the band if he did.

Dammit, beat me to defending myself...

Yeah, I prefer Fat Old Sun and Summer '68 over If (which seemed to set Waters' trend of list songs.)

As far as the argument that MLOR is trying to sound like Floyd, I agree. That probably stems from the fact that Richard Wright and Nick Mason were barely involved. (When asked about his contribution to MLOR, Nick once said, "I may have beaten a few tom-toms on a few songs...)

But I wholeheartedly disagree that the DB is anything but Floyd. From songs like Keep Talking to Wearing the Inside Out to Marooned, that whole album sounds like, looks like, and IS Pink Floyd circa 1994.

As far as the colaberation on songwriting, Wright once said that Gilmour wrote every bit as much of the songs on MLOR and DB as Waters did for any of his Floyd stuff- Gilmour was just more willing to give credit to those that played a part in the writing.

Dammit, beat me to defending myself...

As far as the colaberation on songwriting, Wright once said that Gilmour wrote every bit as much of the songs on MLOR and DB as Waters did for any of his Floyd stuff- Gilmour was just more willing to give credit to those that played a part in the writing.

I'd have to diagree seeing as how struggled so badly with writers block/lack of imagination that his wife had to help him write the lyrics.

I'd have to diagree seeing as how struggled so badly with writers block/lack of imagination that his wife had to help him write the lyrics.

Is this writers' block/lack of imagination or a willingness to give credit instead of being driven by an ego so large that the rest of the band can't stand your presence anymore?

Frankly, I don't care who got credit along with him on the Division Bell... that album holds up today as well as anything Floyd ever did, primarily b/c the voice, words, and guitar are all his...

• 6 years later...
You know, I think this song his highly underrated:

:ols:

I love sfa, tripping out on that song back in the day was the ****.

BTW, eclipse just popped into my head the other day. I miss my days of Floyd.

Eclipse

(Waters) 2:04

All that you touch

All that you see

All that you taste

All you feel.

All that you love

All that you hate

All you distrust

All you save.

All that you give

All that you deal

All that you buy,

beg, borrow or steal.

All you create

All you destroy

All that you do

All that you say.

All that you eat

And everyone you meet

All that you slight

And everyone you fight.

All that is now

All that is gone

All that's to come

and everything under the sun is in tune

but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

Echoes.

Especially if you see Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii the DVD. Trippy.

Echoes, especially if you know how to sync it correctly with Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite at the end of 2001 a space Odyssey. Single greatest audiovisual creation in the history of the universe (but don't watch it on YouTube. Every single version on there is poorly synced). Here's a link to a properly synched one, though the quality isn't great. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1447901706634101739

As a preemptive call-out to anyone who might assume it's just a coincidence, or stoner delusion, I strongly encourage you to watch it, then report back.

Animals is probably my favorite album

Archived