Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Clayton: Jerry Gray hired by Redskins

bubba9497

Gray picks Redskins: Former Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray turned down position coaching offers from two teams and decided to take over as secondary coach for the Redskins. In Washington, he will reunite with his old boss, former Bills coach Gregg Williams. Gray was frustrated that he didn't do enough to get a head coaching offer, or even get an opportunity to be a defensive coordinator. But the money's good with the Redskins, and so is the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john#20060129

Gray picks Redskins: Former Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray turned down position coaching offers from two teams and decided to take over as secondary coach for the Redskins. In Washington, he will reunite with his old boss, former Bills coach Gregg Williams. Gray was frustrated that he didn't do enough to get a head coaching offer, or even get an opportunity to be a defensive coordinator. But the money's good with the Redskins, and so is the team.

OK. We're allowed 53 players on the active roster. 45 can dress. Any limit on coaches? ;)

He should be a good fit here in Washington

YES!! can anyone provide any information on him? I here he is an upgrade over walker... Greg Williams wanted to bring him along when he first came here right? Well I don't think there is no excuse for the coaching being bad thsi year. It has to be on the players :) and I belive in the Redskins players!

I hope this pans out to be true...I wonder why it isn't on redskin.com if this is the case

This is lovely on a couple of fronts:

To land Gray as a position coach is a coup. He was on the fast track to becoming a head coach under Greg Williams and then the wheels fell off with the whole Mularkey/Bills Front Office fiasco. This is like having Lovie Smith coach your LBs or Herm Edwards coaching your DBs – a head coach caliber teacher to work with one position unit.

We now have someone in place who I would feel very confident in should he become our coordinator when Gibbs leaves and GW takes the head coach reigns. Gray goes back with Williams to the Tennessee and has his utmost respect. I’m ok with Blache coaching our defensive line but he seems far too conservative to be a good defensive play caller. While I respected his Bears units, they didn’t seem very imaginative. I’m pretty sure (though not certain) that Williams allowed Gray to call the defense back in Buffalo. That says a lot about him.

Archived