Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite OS (for the comp geeks)

herrmag

What is your favorite operating system and why? Honestly, I'm a microsoft guy that has really gotten into the different versions of UNIX over the years. I think Solaris is great, I ABSOLUTELY HATE IRIX (die already, damn US government prolonging its death), and some of the Linux variants are good too. So, what's your favorite? I still think Windows beats them all hands down on an "average user" basis, but obviously it is weak compared to the Unix variants for anyone that knows what they're doing.

For the MAC users, and this is NOT a shot at you guys.....I recently have a MAC at work, that I must administer. Occasionally, I run into problems, and I check message boards for assistance. Most pre-Mac OSX users have no idea what they're doing outside of the GUI. But, the beauty of MAC OS X is what is in the kernel, and the ability to manipulate everything just as you would a UNIX system. So my question is, are you guys Unix people, or did you learn Unix because you love MACs? Again, I'm not attacking anyone, I'm honestly curious. OS X is a great OS, and far more powerful than windows (but let's not get into networking, any Unix based OS loses....for now...).

For the MAC users, and this is NOT a shot at you guys.....I recently have a MAC at work, that I must administer. Occasionally, I run into problems, and I check message boards for assistance. Most pre-Mac OSX users have no idea what they're doing outside of the GUI. But, the beauty of MAC OS X is what is in the kernel, and the ability to manipulate everything just as you would a UNIX system. So my question is, are you guys Unix people, or did you learn Unix because you love MACs? Again, I'm not attacking anyone, I'm honestly curious. OS X is a great OS, and far more powerful than windows (but let's not get into networking, any Unix based OS loses....for now...).

Don't you talk any crap about my OS man! :redpunch: :redpunch: :redpunch:

I dunno why anyone would perceive this as a shot at anyone, but I learned unix cause I loved Macs. Pre mac OS X did suck and I think thats why a lot of people still have their heads up their cornholes about it, they assume that if its a Mac OS it must suck because of what they know of pre OS X.

MiCrOsOfT WiNdOwS Xp......ErRor.....CrAsH....

Error, crash yes.............But what would you run your network on? In fact, aside from Novell, who else has an effective software suite to support your business-based network? Yes, there's a couple, but Active Directory revolutionized the computing world. Everyone's quick to attack microsoft, and in some particulars, rightfully so. But Microsoft has revolutionized our lives. I just don't like when people dismiss a good product simply because it's trendy. And sorry Brice, not going after you, but I listen to users all day tell me how much Microsoft sucks. Meanwhile, they couldn't figure out how to copy a file from one directory to another in a Unix-based OS

I use a mac at work (for design, minimal Unix knowledge), but I administer two networks there too. One is Samba based, with windows, mac osx and linux, the other is in a seperate location with windows.

I prefer samba for networking. It is more reliable. Harder to configure, but the smallest kink will fudge up a windows network. It drives me nuts...

So in light of that, I think I dig osx. I am just learning how to get into it and picking up some unix terminology. So it's sort of like starting over...

I've administered/used too many unix flavors to name and most pc O/S. Unicos (Cray) is by far the worst. I celebrated the day we retired our J90. I guess it's more the interface with the hardware (IOS) than the O/S, but Crays are a pain in the butt. Irix (SGI) was sweet in comparision. HPUX sucked too. Of the linux varieties, I probably like Debian the best. I love the packaging system. But it's not as "commerical" in appearance as SUSE or Redhat/Fedora.

I'd probably say my favorite is Debian/Ubuntu. Debian is a little slow on releasing new versions, but I use testing and experimental on workstations and stable on the servers so that isn't much of an issue. I actually like the slow release for the servers. I just want security issues addressed. I don't want to reconfigure/debug the MTA every month.

Most of our users are PhD's in engineering so Debian is great. For the non-technical staff, Windows XP.

I'm anti windows, well not really but I prefer Linux. I'm running one PC with Debian, one with Windows XP, one laptop with Win2k Professional and one laptop with WIN ME and a digital picture frame running DOS. I do most of my websurfing and so on, on my Debian machine which also runs my webserver, my mp3 shoutcast server and my proxy server. I run my radio shoutcast off my XP machine.

So use the command prompt in OSX. :laugh:

OSX ROCKS. :applause:

That's what I was getting at. Typing in those ridiculously named directories in MAC OS X can become cumbersome (Unlike natural BSD that, for the most part, uses the generic naming conventions of most Unix OS's). Of course, if I was less lazy, I'd create more links to the directories I use often.

I must admit. I love myself some Windows ME, you know it's just something about not having support for USB 2.0 that really makes me happy.

Seriously, I love my Mac OS X, and to answer Herrmag's question, I learned some UNIX because I love my Mac so much. There are a lot of people who just don't care about that stuff, but I like to get my hands dirty, that's what made me get into it.

Archived